Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • Would you go? Would you die for your country?
  • ernie_lynch
    Free Member

headfirst – Member

Far too many internet warriors on here.

I would interested in knowing who you think the “internet warriors” are.

From what I can see, most people appear to be saying that they would prepared to defend their country against a foreign aggressor. That falls very much into line with what is generally the historical reaction in such a situation.

Although many have expressed the opinion that they are not entirely sure how they would react in reality.

Hardly “internet warrior” talk.

ThePilot
    Free Member

I’d be a conscientious objector for sure. I’m not saying I would have had a solution to the problems in 1914 and 1945 but all I know is war is not it.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I think I’d fight in defence of my country, but I’ll be buggered if I’m fighting in defence of somebody elses country or on behalf of a bunch of selfserving politicians who see “gains” (whatever they may be) to be had by going to war with somebody else.

Realistically these days, if another world war comes to Britain, we’ll be lucky if we have more than a couple of minutes warning before the nukes hit and it’ll then be over very, very quickly.

“lest we forget”

Amen to that…

Big-Dave
    Free Member

I think I’d fight in defence of my country, but I’ll be buggered if I’m fighting in defence of somebody elses country or on behalf of a bunch of selfserving politicians who see “gains” (whatever they may be) to be had by going to war with somebody else.

I share the same sentiment. If it was to defend my country I would like to think I would have the courage to fight. I do however feel sorry for todays armed forces. They are deployed seemingly on the whim of idiot politicians. War should only ever be seen as a last result, otherwise it is just brave young men being sent to die by stupid old men trying to prove some sort of political point.

For the record though I do think our forces are fighting a foe that definitely needs to be tackled in Afghanistan.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Let’s not get into all the rights and wrongs of war, eh people?

Not today.

muppet4
    Free Member

Yep i would, no hesitation. I love this country and proud to be British! And i am sure everybody on here would really if it meant protecting there wives and children!

instanthit
    Free Member

No. Conscientious objector here as well.
    And i have done my time in the forces, fortunately not involved in any conflicts, but i have been armed with live ammunition and really struggled because i wasn’t sure if i would have the balls to fire on another human.
    War is not the answer.

weester

I think that even though people/soldiers go to war to fight for their country (or any other ideal), they usually end up fighting for each other.

postierich
    Free Member

Joined when I was 17 left 5 years later tried to rejoin @ 35 and was told I was to old! thank god.

Bring back NS 😀

dekadanse
    Free Member

Mr Woppit, well I guess I have fought (as in, had street battles with) fascists in this country – seem to have had all too many run-ins with the NF and BNP over the last 30 or so years, and the truth is they’re hardly the master race if confronted by a few determined folk. But no, I wouldn’t join my ‘masters’ under the flag of empire to fight whoever they tell me to fight, just because it’s in their interests to crank up a cynical anti-fascist stance at certain points in history. Like I said, the British ruling class were quite happy for the Nazis to run amock in the 30s while they did a Nelson.

TJ – looks like we’re feted to disagree about most things, even though we are never diametrically opposed. If you really believe that WW2 was ‘democracy vs tyranny’ pure and simple, then you’re not the rapier wit I took you to be. Look beneath the surface, TJ, and read your history books better. And with that I go to bed while I’m still capable of reading the Beano.

jimbobm
    Free Member

I am very ashamed of this country at the moment and so the only reason to fight for it would be in respect of people who have lost their lives in doing so.

james.

Peyote
    Free Member

I’d be a conscientious objector for sure. I’m not saying I would have had a solution to the problems in 1914 and 1945 but all I know is war is not it.

Me too. Although I doubt I’d actually have the courage to turn around and so “no, I don’t believe this is the answer” if I was called up…

..too much of a coward.

McHamish
    Free Member

An alternative to war in 1945 would have been great, I think the problem was that the Nazis wouldn’t take no for an answer.

Personally, if I was an eligible age in 1945, I firmly believe I would have volunteered to serve my country.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

McHamish
    Free Member

That’s what I meant, 1939 – 1945.

schroedingerscat
    Free Member

I signed up at 18 and came out at 39. I spent many happy years slotting terrorists and other assorted mit mots for Queen and Country. However two decades of loud bangs,beddycopters and wearing green pants have rendered me totally f*****g barking (ptsd and incipient Schizophrenia to the fore). So, no not again.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

No way. War is wrong on all counts.

nickf
    Free Member

Interestingly, those MPs who served (Healey, Benn, Heath, Neave etc etc) were those who were the most anti-war of the lot.

As we now have a generation who didn’t fight in real situations or do National Service, it’s a bit more theoretical. And we have people who are perfectly happy to take us to war** based on poor information and a desire to please their allies, rather than slightly more authentic politicians who would exhaust every possible alternative before reluctantly bowing to the inevitable.

Put it this way, if someone who had actually served told me that war was, sadly, completely unavoidable, I might listen and feel more like agreeing to be conscripted. Paddy Ashdown, regardless of what you think of him politically, has credibility in this area in a way that Cameron & Clegg could never have.

**Yes, I do mean you, Tony Blair.

mendip
    Free Member

no

noteeth
    Free Member

I’m the first bloke in my family* not to join up in the best part of two centuries. Mind you, I’m short-sighted & colour-blind – and so all-but-useless… although as a nurse, I suppose I could serve in a medical capacity.

1939: I hope that I could have lived up to the example set by that generation – what alternative was there? Ruthless b’stard he may have been, but when you hear Churchill growl that we will defend this island, whatever the cost, you very much believe him. By contrast, Bliar will be famous for being a lying ****.

(*My great-grandfather was a Lt Colonel in the Royal Engineers and half-German…).

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Would you go? Would you die for your country?’ is closed to new replies.