Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Would you go to Sharm now?
  • chewkw
    Free Member

mikertroid – Member

Not saying I’d go on holiday there (who would dream of a holiday in the ME anyway?!) but I can’t see this crash being a reason to cancel a booked holiday.

Well, it’s definitely going to be cheap from now on coz it will be off season for a long time … 🙂

The question is how long will the problem last …

mike_p
    Free Member

I’ve been, there’s nothing special about it and no reason to ever go back, even if it got cheap (which it isn’t). Very artificial, no antiquities, security is superficial at best – a bunch of motivated nutters would run riot if they wanted to, it’s only a matter of time. Also it was full of Russians of the worst sort, but I guess that won’t be such a problem now. It’s tempting to feel a bit sorry for the locals (the place was struggling before) but most of them migrate in from Cairo and so will just head back there.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member
    enfht
    Free Member

With the global jihad gathering pace I don’t see any reason to visit islamic countries.

ahwiles
    Free Member

The question is how long will the problem last

until someone gives Binners ‘the button’…

soobalias
    Free Member

wonder what the view is on SingleTrackRussia?

jools182
    Free Member

I wouldn’t really want to go there before

Drac

Is there any Zoos there what about Steam Engines, Sea Life places or a theme park? There just seems to beaches and ruins according to the articles.

Yes I would still go.

peterfile
    Free Member

Going to Turkey for holiday what for?

What to see?
    What is so interesting there?

You’ve never been to Istanbul have you 😆

Trimix
    Free Member

I would not go. I wouldn’t have gone last week / month / year.

I used to live and work there.

You would see security in the form of bored police / army chaps at checkpoints and in jeeps or in hotel lobby’s.

But I would not see any between my house in a nearby village and town. Or between town and the desert. All the staff come from local villages, they don’t look any different to terrorists and they are locals. The locals have for years and years fought and hated the government.

You cant tell the difference between a Sunni or a Shia, so I don’t think an under paid security guard can do anything.

The tourist industry is a prime target for disgruntled locals / terrorists etc.

The backup, security, surveillance and hospitals are third world.

Not worth the risk.

konabunny
    Free Member

No, but that’s mostly because I’ve been there before and it wasn’t very nice.

zippykona

I really don’t want to spend my holiday chucking up again.
    If I can’t drink out of the tap,I’m not going there.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’m one of the folks currently stuck in Sharm (well, not quite stuck yet as we’re not due to fly back until tomorrow evening anyway) and I’d certainly consider coming back. The 9/11 bombings did stop me going to the USA.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Going to Turkey for holiday what for?

Club Med Kemer 8)

Many beach resorts, great sailing around Bodrum, etc plus all the culture in Istanbull, history at Gallipoli

hora
    Free Member

Evening. Would I go to Egypt now? Yes. Would I take children?

NO. You have a duty of care, not ‘its a cheap break, why not risk can’t be that bad’.

Proper systems/upgraded security can’t be upgraded overnight. Give it more like 6months.

Last week a group of German tourists were stabbed in Morocco.

wilburt
    Free Member

Nope and wouldnt before recent events, also wouldnt go to Turkey again.

CountZero

Now? I wouldn’t have gone there before.

jambalaya
    Free Member

ViceNews piece today. link

Nothing particularly illuminating. Airport closure / bomb etc not front large news today in Egypt, airport chief quietly removed / “promoted” according to Egyptians

v8ninety

Not sure why anyone who is obviously visually western would risk going to any of the middle eastern/Islamic tourist destinations, TBH. I’m well aware that it’s only a tiny majority of Muslims that would consider harming westerners, but I expect there’s a larger silent percentage who just wouldn’t try that hard to stop them. Anywhere with barely controlled land borders to PROPERLY dodgy areas such as Libya, Sudan, Syria, would, and have been off my list for a long time. I’m sure that you ‘could’ have a nice, safe holiday there, but when there are obviously safer places to go which offer the same sort of holiday, why on earth risk it?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

YOU MUST BEJOKING. Security might be on a high… But it’s Egyptian security. Not really wearth much in terms of security. That country is a shambles and so are their efforts to secure the country are a shambles.

steveoath
    Free Member

been once. No rush to go back. As mentioned, totally artificial and th tourism is damaging the reefs as well 🙁

coolhandluke
    Free Member

With the global jihad gathering pace I don’t see any reason to visit islamic countries.

That.

Glad we did Morrocco in the late 90’s and Tunisia in 2005 now. Suddenly Spain gets more attractive.

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Would you go to Sharm now?’ is closed to new replies.