Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Would you go to Sharm now?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Was hoping to go back there in November having been a couple of years ago and my girls loved it. With all that has gone on recently the wife has said that there is no chance whatsoever us going back there. So that is that but just wondered if anyone else would be happy to holiday out there at the moment?

scotroutes

Probably the safest place to go (not that I’d ever want to go there anyway)

lunge

Absolutely yes, I’d go tomorrow.

hugo
    Free Member

I would no problem.

Went a few years ago when the north of Egypt was a little bit tasty, and there were a few armed checkpoints around in Sharm. There’s a lot of desert in between things out there and I felt in no danger at all.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes – security at is highest.

RobHilton
    Free Member

What’s the riding like there?

hooli

I’d go

footflaps

In visual deterrence terms yes, but in terms of effectiveness unproven. Most 3rd world countries have highly under trained, under paid and under motivated security services who just hang around looking bored, which isn’t the same as being effective.

The only airport with really impressive security, I’ve travelled through, is Ben Gurion in Israel.

legend
    Free Member

Sounds nice, but a bloody long drive at the moment

franksinatra

No, I would not. Plenty of other, safer places to go. No holiday is worth risking your families life for. Family holidays are meant to be a time to relax, I would be constantly nervous there. Aside form the risk aspect, I think you would probably find a pretty awful atmosphere.

kimbers

Id not want to take my kids tbh, Im sure there must be other nice sunny places to visit?

threat of being blown up aside
    not sure Id want to go there and support a brutal military dictator anyway?

doris5000

The only airport with really impressive security, I’ve travelled through, is Ben Gurion in Israel.

then you may enjoy this article (from the former head of security at Ben Gurion)

i thought it was fascinating

http://www.cracked.com/blog/7-reasons-tsa-sucks-a-security-experts-perspective/

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

nopes.

chakaping
    Free Member

Wouldn’t have gone before and certainly not now.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Be nice and cheap that’s for sure. How do you get there though? Punctured inflatable raft to Syria and walk from there?

julians
    Free Member

not a chance, why take the risk?

If the UK government think the security situation is bad enough to warrant suspending all flights, then it must be pretty bad.

I wouldnt have gone 6 months ago though, as I felt it was too risky back then.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

well, there’s loads of bored soldiers and cops listlessly sat around in lean-to sheds half heartedly running road blocks and occasionally waving a-mirror-on-a-stick in the general direction of passing vehicles. Highly visible and an obvious attempt at re-assurance* and more inconvenient than effective was my impression.

Only been there for the diving, and next time it’ll be on a live-aboard as Sharm is like a tacky Spanish beach resort except with more Russian prostitutes*.

*Used to be primarily Italian tourists, they stopped going after the last set of bombings, the Sharm tourist board discovered the booming Russian economy and made that it’s biggest market, and along with the tourist dollar came the organised crime. Walking around Naama bay every second girl was a scantily clad young Russian with a burly minder walking half a dozen paces behind.

chewkw
    Free Member

What for?

There are so many places in the world I can go so why should I go there?

What’s there to see? Sand? More Sand? Camels? Pyramid rock?

My hometown is 10x nicer than there … we have white island sandy beaches, good food, jungle, insects and plenty of terrorists to kidnap tourists from neighbouring countries so what do they have that we don’t?

Oh ya … as for the airport security that’s something waiting to happen and it will happen again.

🙄

nickc

wouldn’t want to go anywhere that puts money into the pockets of the Egyptian military before the revolt of a couple of years ago, my feelings haven’t changed significantly since.

jambalaya
    Free Member

No. As per @chaka and @julians I wouldn’t have gone before and wouldn’t go now

As per various reports from UK tourists there was very limited security there. There is a full on terrorist insurgency in Siani (bombs, guns attacks, shooting down helicopters and even firing anti-tank rockets at ships) and from what I understand tourist numbers at the Pyramids are also way way down following attacks there some months ago.

I feel sorry for the Epytians working there but they should ask their government why security was so lax. Prevention is easier and cheaper than a cure.

tonyg2003

One of my team is stuck in Sharm at the moment (meant to fly out tomorrow). They have had no news there that flights are currently stopped. Just looking at alternatives at getting them back.

I’d go back to Sharm I wouldn’t go back to Israel. My passport has too many stamps from other middle eastern countries – got a 2hr grilling from the Israel security service idiots last time I was leaving.

footflaps

then you may enjoy this article (from the former head of security at Ben Gurion)

Have to say I agree, the laxest security I’ve ever experienced has been in the US, boarded a flight to LHR having not had my hand luggage screened only a few months back.

Although the guy is lying through his teeth!

At Ben Gurion Airport, we get travelers from their car to their gate in 25 minutes. When was the last time that happened to you in an American airport?

In my experience about 3-4 hours waiting in various lines for various re-scans or re-interviews (although you can pay extra for an express service).

chewkw
    Free Member

tonyg2003 – Member
    I’d go back to Sharm I wouldn’t go back to Israel.

I would go to Israel but not to Sharm.

At least I know the Israeli army will do their job properly.

🙄

llama

If every airport was like Ben Gurion flying would be even more of a pain in the arse than it is now. When it gets to the point where they are going through your email and phone contacts before they let you through it becomes a little invasive. It’s the old nothing to hide then no problem argument, but they are particularly heavy handed and paranoid IMO.

At Ben Gurion Airport, we get travelers from their car to their gate in 25 minutes

yeah right

nickjb
    Free Member

I’d happily go there. Wouldn’t be my first choice Red Sea resort as its a bit European and bland but the diving is very good once you get a little way out to sea. I suspect it will be a bit empty, which might actually make it nicer. Getting there should be easy enough. There’s a regular bus from Cairo or a high speed ferry from Hurghada, although if you are doing that then I’d go to another town in Egypt.

jambalaya
    Free Member

If the Egyptians had 10% of the security the Israelis do it wouldn’t have been possible to put a bomb on the Russian plane. If you have an Isreali stamp in your passport many other Middle Eastern countries won’t let you in at all, so a few hours in Ben Gurion answering questions isn’t so bad.

The terrorists are deliberately trying to disrupt tourism. Tourists are a target.

footflaps

but they are particularly heavy handed and paranoid IMO.

I can understand the paranoia as pretty much everyone in the region wants to kill then all, but they reap what they sow!

votchy
    Free Member

In the context that I believe the thread was intended i.e. If you had already planned to go there would you? Then my answer would be yes. The London bombings didn’t stop people going to London, same with 9-11, never used to stop people back in the 70’s when the IRA were active so why would it stop people now? History shows few places are are attacked following large media exposure of the initial attack (I discount places like Belfast and Baghdad as these are or were almost civil war zones, not terrorist targeted areas)

sadexpunk

i woulnt go again under any circumstances. total sh1thole. tackiest, unfriendliest place ive ever been on holiday.

shopkeepers shouting at you for not going in their shops, my then 14yo lad and his mate got locked in a shop and tried to have drugs pushed on them….

didnt feel comfortable the whole week and couldnt wait to get back home. id rather go to blackpool and thats saying something. should have done our homework a bit better instead of thinking ooh thats a good price for a bit of winter sun 😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No, but then I wouldn’t have went there before this latest incident.

edhornby

If you’re going for diving, get a liveaboard out of hurghada, if you want cheap sun then Croatia

bikebouy
    Free Member

It’s a bit crass that place so No from me.
    Don’t see the appeal for blobbing on a lilo in a puddle with screaming kids creating havoc all around. Then theres the mad chaotic rush for supper and queues of roaring families to contend with, then theres the open encasement bars with rowdy patronising tourists marauding and being all lairy like.
    Then theres the constant noise from the Airport to contend with.

I’ve been to many places in Egypt, mainly for windsurfing, and theres a whole lot of that country I really like, a whole load of people I really like. I helped build a venue for windsurfing near a military base and yes we were subject to both bribes and harassment by them, but that was easy to control, tourists from the Frozen North were far worse in comparison.

As for the current political turmoil, even if this calmed down the answer would be No.

Southern Sinai Yes.

BigJohn

The killings in Tunisia seemed to me an attempt by Isis/Taliban/Rebels/Brotherhood/extremists (call them what you will) to destroy the tourist trade and deprive the Tunisian government of a significant part of their economy.

There’s a lot of unrest in Egypt and the Sinai peninsular has been insulated from this in an attempt to maintain the tourist economy. I’d been expecting an attack like this, with the purpose of killing the tourist trade. Which is why we didn’t go windsurfing in Dahab or Moon Beach this autumn.

I don’t think it’s particularly wise to go to any country where there’s a civil war going on away from the beaches.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I wouldn’t go before the plane bombing and not now either. Not the first terrorist activity there and certainly won’t be the last. Conscript army with many who don’t want to be there aren’t going to much to protect those they are supposed to.
    Turkey is seeing a rise in terrorism and won’t be long before tourism is targeted along with the Kurds.

ads678

I’d rather go to Cham than sharm!!

chewkw
    Free Member

craigxxl – Member
    Turkey is seeing a rise in terrorism and won’t be long before tourism is targeted along with the Kurds.

Going to Turkey for holiday what for?

What to see?
    What is so interesting there?

mikertroid
    Free Member

Why not? Probably some good deals right now.

Have they concluded whether it was an IS bomb, or all conjecture still?

chewkw
    Free Member

mikertroid – Member

Why not? Probably some good deals right now.

Have they concluded whether it was an IS bomb, or all conjecture still?

You go but it ain’t happening for me … nothing special at all.

It’s definitely a bomb IMO.

Security in that region is not top of the priority …

You take your chances.

tenfoot

No, but it’s been on my list of places to avoid for a while now.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Not saying I’d go on holiday there (who would dream of a holiday in the ME anyway?!) but I can’t see this crash being a reason to cancel a booked holiday.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Would you go to Sharm now?’ is closed to new replies.