Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Would you employ this bloke?
  • tjagain

enfht

Political views are fine – left or right wing. When it strays into racism tho then its not acceptable

sillysilly
    Free Member

Why would anyone spend time trying change the life / opinions / political views of a potential candidate for the tiny chance they may change, rather than simply hiring the right person for their company in the first place?

Sounds like Risk / Reward is not in your favour – could this be lose / lose and a massive disruption for all involved, inc the potential hire and your current team?

milleboy
    Free Member

We won’t employ anyone like that, so no from me……

However, if your job involves putting your employees through high levels of stress, pain, high levels of both short term and long term negative heath issues, danger of death (instant or slow and painful), being sprayed with excrement, he sounds perfect.

tjagain

milleboy – sounds like my job apart from the danger of death 😉

pat12
    Free Member

Bizzare, i met him a couple of times back in the day.

(in a Brighton software developers networking capacity i hasten to add )

Didn’t have him down as a hater or a kipper for that matter.

Seemed like a decent bloke

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Nope I get enough of those sort of views at family gatherings I wouldn’t want to deal with it at work as well.

takisawa2

At the top of his profile it wlll say…

“Working at / Was working at…[your company name]”.

Just above his latest outburst.

If your lucky he might even have a St George’s flag & a bulldog as his profile pic.

Cougar

I do a quick check on potential recruits. Once had one candidate who plastered all over Facebook about what a great hacker he was. He didn’t get an interview, not because he was a hacker but because he was stupid enough to advertise that in public.

Superficial
    Free Member

He’s just an idiot. The sort of things he posts on Facebook are directly resulting in losing job offers. Either he doesn’t know this (complete lack of self awareness is worrying) or he does (in which case he’s turning down thousands of pounds of business which is stupid). Ergo, he’s a moron.

Add the Facebook privacy settings issue, and the company values thing, and I can’t see why anyone would want to employ him.

whitestone
    Free Member

What happens if the applicant doesn’t have any social media accounts but someone (in the same line of work) with the same name and close enough profile does? The two could have completely different attitudes.

I’ve a relatively rare surname (plus the spelling isn’t what you’d expect) – a few years ago I was helping out with a Ramsay Round and got to a support point where the bloke (who I’d worked with when living in the Lakes about ten years earlier) looked at me and proclaimed: “We thought you were dead!”. It turned out that someone else in the Lakes with the same forename and surname as me had been killed by a falling rock at a crag.

As to the OP’s question: no, I’d consider that he’d be too disruptive in the workplace.

pk13

So if I went to an interview and had no Twitter or faceache accounts would I be unemployable if you found no evidence of me online?
    Genuinely interested as I don’t have any of those accounts and only post on message boards under a random 3/4 letter tag..

wwaswas

So if I went to an interview and had no Twitter or faceache accounts would I be unemployable if you found no evidence of me online?

Most people with any sense who are posting the sort fo stuff the bloke in the OP does have the sense not to use their own name so no one *expects* to find evidence or even presence of someone on social media.

Absence doesn’t imply guilt.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I know our IT dept won’t employ anyone who doesn’t have a completely locked-down social media presence. They don’t even look at the opinions posted.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

No, he’d not even get an interview here.

Twitter like that would see a huge red flag and his CV going in the bin.

maccruiskeen

I tend to take the view that we employ the skills of freelances for the duration of their contracts so whilst they’re not ’employees’ they’re still employed, if you see what I mean

Reason for the question is – if you were ’employing’ in the sense of advertising a vacancy and offering secure employment with all the responsibilities that brings then you have to (at least pretend) to recruit and select using fair and open processes. You don’t need to be so fastidious if you’re simply buying a service from someone. You can just ignore them because you don’t like them.

Most people with any sense who are posting the sort fo stuff the bloke in the OP does have the sense not to use their own name so no one *expects* to find evidence or even presence of someone on social media.

Perhaps its a really good marketing technique – if you shared his odious views the job would be a shoe-in.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Would you employ this bloke?’ is closed to new replies.