Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Would you eat dolphin?
  • Matt24k
    Free Member

Dolphin on menus in southern American states is actually a fish caled a Mahi Mahi

Correct.
    Also called Dorado in certain parts of the World. It is a predator like Barracuda and Wahoo. We had one curried yesterday about an hour after it came out of the sea.

tazzymtb

I eould suggest watching the documentary “the cove” full version on you tube and then make a decision about dolphin.

Matt24k
    Free Member

Just to really get this thread going…….
    What about a halal dolphin?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

en well looked after and humanely slaughtered. I don’t believe you could ever do that with Dolphins. Cattle and fish don’t have that level of intelligence and can be easily fooled and slaughtered without stressing them, they act more on instinct.

Just dealing with cattle – I’ve worked with cattle in the UK and have most often observed obvious stress while handling, especially at markets or in the crush – eyes rolling, tongues lolling, vocalizing, drooling. Many places have poor flooring so the cattle slip and then their cortisol levels really go through the roof. Even adopting Temple Grandin’s humane handling machinery and recommendations for practice (and I have a lot of respect for the work she does) there is room for error. Farmers most often have a quota they want to fill and sometimes the last thing on their mind is buying new machinery or facilities. As for error – stun bolts misfire, the skull too thick, a slip, the scent of blood sets off the other cattle, blinking means they weren’t stunned correctly, head brace malfunction or not present, etc, etc. Handling machinery – some of the stuff I’ve seen is rusty, decades old, archaic, rough edges, unsafe etc. If cows are typified as placid, they often aren’t placid when handled. Sheep neither. They urinate and defecate liquid stress when handled in a concrete pen, this turns to slips and falls, lameness, annoyed and overworked farmers and labourers, cut corners, etc…

As such, I don’t accept that it’s ‘easy’ to keep cattle de-stressed in any commercial operation. I used to, but then I worked with cattle. I have enough trouble keeping pork scratchings on the menu having known how smart pigs are, and how most of them end up. Beef also – rapidly becoming a more expensive once in a while purchase from known local sources. Not a bad thing, both healthwise and ethically?

iamroughrider
    Free Member

i wouldn’t eat whales or dolphins period.

bigrich

i wouldn’t eat whales or dolphins period.

well no. It’d be a drink, if anything.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I’d probably do the Christmas thing and have a tuna inside a dolphin inside a whale.

Junkyard
    Free Member

^^^ made me laugh

never really understood the meat eaters reluctance to eat certain types of meat tbh

thestabiliser
    Free Member

This could be a new thing at Sea World – acrobatics show followed by Meat the Star BBQ.

mudshark
    Free Member

never really understood the meat eaters reluctance to eat certain types of meat tbh

I draw the line at certain types of people.

jfletch
    Free Member

Isn’t the real reason that we don’t eat dolphin that they are hard to catch (or at least were historically) and don’t taste nice enough to be worth the effort.

All of this line drawing and self justification is just trying to justify something as rational when infact its just a cultural norm based on historic practicalities.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Would you eat dolphin?’ is closed to new replies.