• This topic has 44 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Would you discuss salary with your manager?
  • legend
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member

Out of interest, who’s hiring staff at the moment?

subtle 😉

fanatic278 – Member

I already know what they think the ‘pay scale’ is for my job

They don’t “think” anything about the pay scale, they set it

richc
    Free Member

Inline with pay scale means little doesn’t it? The pay scale in my role where I work is 16K to 150K.

Which translates to we will pay you what we believe is just enough that you won’t jump to another company

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They don’t “think” anything about the pay scale, they set it

If its anything like where I was then the payscale discussion goes something like this every so often.

1) our staff are unhappy about the suspected pay disparity
    2) we should put everyone into pay bands to sort it out
    3) we can’t afford to give the long serving employees a pay rise in line with new starters
    4) staff are still unhappy as they now know they’re getting a raw deal
    5) staff leave and the company employs new people with less experience at a higher rate
    6) projects go spectacularly badly

subtle

To be honest today I’m earning more than I did there just sat in a cafe on call waiting for the phone to ring , so its not all bad outside the O&G world, but these days aren’t everyday.

legend
    Free Member

I didn’t say they did a good job of it 🙂

DT78
    Free Member

2 questions –

Ask what the budget is for the role, if it is vacancy it should be budgeted for and have a number against it.

What do you personally want which you think is realistic for your role / skills. Look at external adverts. Factor in stuff like T&C’s and commuting

Then have a conversation with your manager about salary.

5) staff leave and the company employs new people with less experience at a higher rate
    6) projects go spectacularly badly

so true:)

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Would you discuss salary with your manager?’ is closed to new replies.