Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Would you cycle 80 miles tomorrow?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Got a meeting in Bristol with a relaxed start time 10 ish. 40 miles each way. Need to take a computer, lock, clothes etc, so would need panniers and hence the commuter bike, so would be a slower pace.

Forecast is crap. Mulling it over…

Tiger6791

No

Kryton57

Yes

mattbee

Not in the forecast weather, no.

philjunior
    Free Member

Yes, the wind is forecast to be reasonable around that time. I would allow a reasonable time to get there though, unless it’s a tailwind in.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

yep. great excuse

molgrips
    Free Member

Outward leg has light tailwind but heavy rain. Return leg has more of a headwind and also snow showers forecast – but no time pressures. Main roads so should be clear and gritted.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

For the hell of it yes, for a meeting no, not with the current forecast.

jekkyl

maybe

scotroutes

Snow and ice here already. More on the way.

That’ll be a no from me 🙂

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Not a chance, but that’s because I don’t think I’ve ever done a 40 mile one-way trip, not because of the weather! 😆

But after the events of Mon 23rd December 2013 at ~0645, when in wonderful hindsight I stupidly decided to try and commute despite the weather warnings (and ended up headbutting the rear of a stationary refuse collection lorry due to chocolate teapot brakes), I’m extremely cautious about cycling in bad weather. Even for my short <5 mile commute.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve done the trip many times before, used to do it 2-3 times a week for a short while. It’s a pleasant ride overall.

Meeting is just two other colleagues, it’s 50% jolly tbh so not a big deal if I’m late.

freeagent
    Free Member

looking at the weather forecast I’d say no.
    If it was April onwards I’d say definitely yes.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Balls, I’ve looked at the forecast tomorrow and it’s a headwind in and then turns round for a headwind home again. So it would be a definite no to 80 miles. I’ll be sticking to my 45 mile round trip instead. Remember, cycling is fun 🙄

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/nn1

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Train home?

fifeandy
    Free Member

Not a chance in this weather.

molgrips
    Free Member

Train home a real option yes.

MrP – looks like you are getting way more snow than we are.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I hadn’t factored that in, I’d only looked at the wind. Ah bugger 🙁

binners

If the weather where you are is anything like here, then your chances of making through alive would be slim to none-existant.

Mind you… you’re in southern softeeland though, so I’m sure you’ll be fine

You big fanny! 😛

ads678

No i’ve got too much work on at the moment!

dragon
    Free Member

I’m assuming you are coming from Cardiff in which case will the old Severn bridge be open if its windy?

Would be a no from me, cycling in high winds and snow is grim. Could always take the bike on the early train and go for a spin around Bristol before the meeting. Or just go for a run which would be a hell of a lot easier.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Go on – let us know which A&E to send the flowers to.

mattsccm
    Free Member

If only. Weather will be minimal

prawny

I’d say no. I’m not really fancying my 40 mile round trip tomorrow, but today was a piece of cake in the end so I’ll ride in and see how much snow sticks

bikebouy
    Free Member

If the meeting is relaxed/informal then yep, it’ll be a hoot downwind but a PITA gruntfest on the way home, you could bail and catch the train if it’s proper pants.. and Southern Rail don’t got to Wales so you’ll be fine.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Maybe on Zwift! Probably not outdoors as looks to be foul in the afternoon with 40mph winds and potential snow here. I’d still probably sort out my riding gear and check the forecast tomorrow morning just in case.

molgrips
    Free Member

will the old Severn bridge be open if its windy?

Oh, hadn’t thought of that – do they close it for bikes/foot traffic as well as cars?

Tbh if it’s that windy I won’t go anyway.

TiRed

Yes with option of a train ride home. It’s not really 40 miles with a 15 mph tailwind, is it? I’ve done similar and the real pfaff going to other sites is taking all clothes, shoes, towel and having somewhere to shower. I normally ride my fixed for the Windsor-Stevenage commute, which I do every couple of months.

Edric64
    Free Member

I have been on the old bridge and had to walk with the tandem as it was too windy to ride

molgrips
    Free Member

Right, all packed and ready. Alarm set. let’s see what the weather’s like at 5.45.

jonnyboi

If it was my work base with showers etc, yes. If travelling for an off site meeting, nope.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Where are you Molgrips? Did you make it?

stormtrooper
    Free Member

Should we send a search party out?

highlandman
    Free Member

Hope he went for it.
    Even the apocalyptic storm of Tuesday night wasn’t so bad, once you were out in it. Rode home from Stirling to Angus, starting at 10pm; about 60 miles on the CdeF. Wet at first, strong tailwind; one puncture, one light faff and still got home well before 0200.
    We also rode the tandem in to work in Dundee today, beginning on white roads. If Mrs H can do it, some of you really should just man up…!

molgrips
    Free Member

Fortunately as I was going to sleep I realised that I’d miscalculated and I only needed to set my alarm for 6.45 rather than 5.45, which was much easier 🙂

Set off a little late after faffing. Wasn’t at all cold in my roadie style top and Assos tights, even if they look stupid. Only a little bit of rain too.

Took 2h40 though which is slow, but I was riding fasted and with as fair load on. Wasn’t the last one in though!

Who thinks I’ll end up getting the train home?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Nah, you’ll ride. It’s forecast for a tropical 2 degrees in Cardiff this evening with a smattering of rain. Pretty good for January.

weeksy

Would I… No…

Could i.. Yup…

highlandman
    Free Member

Ride home, you big girls’ blouse!!!

Respect Mol, nice one. Shows what can be done with a bit of determination.

molgrips
    Free Member

I rode home too. Took bloody ages. Remembered on the way that when I did this regularly before, I almost always got picked up at Chepstow on the way home, and I had no luggage. Must’ve had 8kg at least extra today, on a much heavier bike, and really felt it on the way home.

Not much wind on the way back either and a few light flurries which cheered me up.

Knackered though and can’t sleep now!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Would you cycle 80 miles tomorrow?’ is closed to new replies.