Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Would you buy these (Easton Haven's off US Ebay)
  • psychle
    Free Member

Disregarding whether you think the price is insane etc… 😯

is there any reason why you wouldn’t buy this Easton Carbon Haven wheelset off US Ebay? I’m heading over to the States next week for work, so fingers crossed could get ’em back without VAT etc… £990 is quite tempting, considering I was planning on spending £700 anyhoo on a set of I9’s…

My only real concern is warranty, but I do wonder whether the 2 year ‘no questions asked insurance’ that Easton spruiks for these would be an international thing?

druidh
    Free Member

Ask the Easton distributor for the UK whether or not they handle international warranties?

And yes – the price is insane 😉

ziggy
    Free Member

Wouldn’t know about the warranty in the UK, but I doubt it, also I’m sure the transfers on the rim are different to the last set I sold.

ziggy
    Free Member

This item is NEW, and will work when received, so we can not accept returns on this item, once the item is mounted it is yours.

Wouldn’t entice me to buy from them.

carlosg
    Free Member

US sellers seem to be giving ridiculous international postage quotes lately (which will be included in the customs charges too)

psychle
    Free Member

Ask the Easton distributor for the UK whether or not they handle international warranties?

Extra isn’t it? Looks like their website is cactus at the moment, have emailed Easton direct to see what they say…

Wouldn’t entice me to buy from them.

It is a bit blunt to be sure… seller only seems to deal in high-end wheels (all Easton as well I think), so assuming they’re a distributor or something? Have asked them but they’re not telling me who they are in the ‘real world’, which is a worry I guess.

100% positive feedback, so not worried about the transaction, just worried about warranty etc…

psychle
    Free Member

quick bump for the opinions of the morning crowd… 🙂

vinnyeh

I’m sure it’d be fine, as long as he’ll ship to your hotel (or you’ve got a residential address to send it to). Lots of places won’t, especially if your address for your payment method is in a different country to the one you want it delivered to- I’m sure paypal for one wouldn’t be keen.

I do wonder why you’d spunk so much money on them, I’d be spending the money on train tickets to get out of town and ride more 😉

Has the frame arrived yet?

pinches
    Free Member

i don’t think the country of origin matters in the eyes of the distributor – at the shop i work in we quite regularly see warranty returns on stuff that was bought in the states, and they have travelled to the uk with. They do sometimes ask for a proof of purchase to make sure they are less than a year old, which may be more of an issue.

messiah
    Free Member

What is your history of requiring warranties like? Mine is a nightmare so buying something like this would almost certainly leave me with a pair of useless wheels and a nasty taste in the mouth 😐 Or as with past history a pair of wheels that spends half it’s life in the shop or on it’s way to and from France 😉

Easton have only been making MTB wheels for a couple of years… and the comments on MTBR about the poor hub quality and shocking customer service would have me making sure that I could get a warranty sorted. Perhaps they have sorted the issues and this is why they offer the warranty???

I’m really tempted by Carbon rims because of the weight loss where it counts the most… but with my history with CF components I’m going to sit on the fence a little longer.

I’ll be jealous for sure…

psychle
    Free Member

I do wonder why you’d spunk so much money on them, I’d be spending the money on train tickets to get out of town and ride more

Well… my rationale is that it’s only a £300 premium on the original wheelset I was planning to run, seems worth it to me… Fair point re. riding more though… 😳

What is your history of requiring warranties like?

Not too bad thankfully, touch wood!

Easton have only been making MTB wheels for a couple of years… and the comments on MTBR about the poor hub quality and shocking customer service would have me making sure that I could get a warranty sorted

That’s interesting, hadn’t heard that… shall go have a dig around on MTBR I guess!

andyl
    Free Member

£300 premium is more than I can afford on wheels full stop!

Although I do have to admit if I had a choice of any wheel it would probably be the Easton Havens – I like Easton stuff and I know these rims are going to be fantastic.

What about Jenson USA? I quite fancy a set of Haven carbon bars – £79 from them at the moment and not in stock anywhere in the UK. You could slip me a set in your suictase 😀 Oh and they have the EC70 seat post for £39 too.

heihei

Make sure they are exactly the right spec for the rear as they are not interchangable. They are awesome wheels by the way, but only you can determine if they are value for money or not!

psychle
    Free Member

10. Does the warranty apply to wheels purchased on eBay or other internet sites which are not Easton retailers?
    No, Easton will only warranty wheels purchased from an approved retailer, a list of approved retailers can be found under the “Store Search” section of http://www.eastoncycling.com. Proof of purchase must be included for a wheel to be considered for warranty repair.
    Certain authorized retailers do sell our products online, or through online auction sites, when in accordance with our regulations. In order for the warranty to apply, an itemized receipt from that dealer must be included with the proof of payment(e.g. PayPal or credit card statement). A PayPal or credit card statement does not constitute proof of purchase.

If you are not sure if the dealer is an Authorize Easton dealer, please contact the dealer and request a physical address and account name. Whether this is an authorized Easton dealer can be verified through our customer service

Found this on Easton’s website… guessing that means no warranty through them? 🙁

vinnyeh

You don’t know- like it says, some authorised dealers do sell through ‘auction sites’. With the quantities that guy seems to have available, there’s a fair chance he’s authorised- I’m not sure there’s too big a grey or black market in the wheels.

psychle
    Free Member

Trouble is, the seller isn’t/won’t tell me who they are in ‘the real world’, he has said that they’d handle warranty, which doesn’t fill me with confidence…

Maybe I’ll just hang out for on-one to release a 26″ carbon rim… then I can build it on whatever I want!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

he may be authorised, but this was already posted

Have asked them but they’re not telling me who they are in the ‘real world’, which is a worry I guess.

vinnyeh

he may be authorised, but this was already posted

Have asked them but they’re not telling me who they are in the ‘real world’, which is a worry I guess.

Soz, didn’t see that.

It’s a risk then- I can kind of see it’d still be tempting though= Easton obviously have the confidence in the product, which I think is totally redesigned.
    If you’re not going to be hammering it down rock staircases week in/week out, you could say they’re a grand, saving £600, if I trashed a rim then it would cost that to be fixed, making things all square. And really, considering they’re waranteed for anything, how likely is it that the Surrey Hills will wreck anything more than a set of bearing in the winter slurry?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

i wouldn’t buy them based on the fact he will not tell you who he is in the real world, thus avoiding section 10 up there, he’s hiding behind an eBay persona to avoid warranty claims basically, what he says and what he will do in event of warranty are worlds apart

andyl
    Free Member

I would steer clear given the warranty situation.

chakaping
    Free Member

Not with a bargepole mate.

messiah
    Free Member

A few thoughts.

I believe the Easton rim will be strong – it’s the hub I expect to be the problem – and being 24 spoke getting another hub will be a biatch (Goldtec or custom Hope???). Maybe the rim will be available on it’s own some time so it can laced to any hub?

Reynolds will be releasing some AM carbon wheels later this year. 20mm front a 420x12mm rear – with 28 spokes I believe. Again I would expect the hub to be the problem. Reynolds are also talking of making the rim available on it’s own.

ENVE rims or the DT carbon rims can be laced to any hub… and if On-one or any of the other little companies jump on the bandwagon then the market will open right up.

In my experience the hub is as important as the rim – having problems with either is a disaster.

psychle
    Free Member

Fairly clear answer from Easton… they’re not happy with this Ebay seller!

While our warranty will not be void in Australia, it may be necessary to return the wheel to our US Service Center in the case of a warranty claim, as our Australian distributor is typically only able to service wheels purchased in the Australia. Please consider this when making your purchase.

Finally, the price you are quoting is consistent with those common to online sales sites such as eBay, specifically the seller spontaniouscombustion/aka groundandpoundla. This seller is not an authorized dealer, as evidenced by their extremely low prices. This price is in violation of Easton dealer fiscal agreements, and therefore the they will not identify their actual identity(e.g., they ship to and from a self storage locker). Any dealer selling in this manner would incur penalties to their account.

Per our warranty policies, purchases from unauthorized dealers do not carry a warranty: http://www.eastoncycling.com/en-us/road/warranty-info/warranty-policies/
    As such, we would not recommend purchasing from unidentified online sellers.

So chaps, buy these at your own risk I guess… I won’t be, now 🙁

Will stick with the original plan of I9 hubs laced to Flows, LBS is doing a deal at £630, so happy with that! And if 32H carbon rims eventuate from on-one or the like, then I can always look at them in the future, and use my own hubs! 8)

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Would you buy these (Easton Haven's off US Ebay)’ is closed to new replies.