Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Would you buy Summer(ish) Holidays Euros now?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

When I say “ish” I mean Sept/Oct as we have only a couple of years left of the luxury of holidays outside school hols. I notice a few sites advising purchase of holiday Euros now. I have a pre-paid holiday card which I could load – am having to get some anyway for Alps in March so just get summer holiday money now while the going’s good?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

you could get some and hedge your bets?

Or book the cash for collection at a Travellex desk and neglect to pick it up if the rate improves in the meantime?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Or book the cash for collection at a Travellex desk and neglect to pick it up if the rate improves in the meantime?

Oh right…hadn’t thought of anything quite that intelligent. 🙂 How does that work then?

trail_rat
    Free Member

An extra pint no doubt go for it

wrightyson
    Free Member

Got mine last week for no other reason than Id got a bit of cheeky cash lying about so thought we’d change it now rather than fetching money out the bank in April when we go. Was pleasantly surprised with what we got for our cash.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

*emails Derby HMRC*

😛

br
    Free Member

You should only gamble what you are prepared to lose.

Good advice from my Dad many moons ago.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ah Jeez…it’ll be a few pounds here or there. It’s not like I’m gambling thousands. Just wondering what others’ thoughts were.

bear-uk
    Free Member

Bought a couple of hundred Jan and Feb, and will probably keep on doing so for a while. My reason being that anything more than 1.10 is good and I might as well just spread the holiday cost a bit.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

it’ll be a few pounds here or there. It’s not like I’m gambling thousands.

That’s the key. If you’re looking at thousands, and/or stocking up for regular travel, then it’s very much worth it. I occasionally bulk buy $USD when the price is right, as I know I’ll always need it given current work schedules (Once a month or so at the moment). Likewise, when I used to go to HK often, I’d have a good stock of $HKD when the price made it worth stocking up.

For a holiday? Hardly worth it, IMHO.

Junkyard
    Free Member

the first world problem is caussing me angst

#prayforDarcy

as for Flash well clearly he needs to look after the pennies
    #expensesfraud 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Piss off JY 😀

If you’re looking at thousands

Oh I dunno flashy… Perhaps, like your ski luggage, the rest of your holiday is done on a budget too. 😛

scaredypants

Post office was/is having a euros sale this weekend – better than fairfx rates and supposedly are going to send me small denomination notes, which fairfx don’t.

(I wasn’t being clever and buying early, mind – we’re off next weekend)

flashy – budget ? Faded grandeur, surely ?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Much 😀 here!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If I knew what the euro was going to do over the next 6 months I would, if I knew that I’d also be going on holiday to my own private resort.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

ln a run up to an election Stirling will continue to weaken.

Then if labour get in it will weaken further… as they are seen as bad for biz, right?

But if the Tory’s get in it’ll still weaken as there will be a euro referendum… and the market hates uncertainty.

It’s all about currency wars.

birky
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31811791

Pound hits seven-year high against euro

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Well, I’ve been keeping a weather eye on the rate for an exchange for hols in June. It was €1.37 to the pound sterling at the end of last week, €1.40 this morning and €1.41 now.

If the Greeks continue to pursue their clown act, it’s likely to keep sliding.

I’m holding out for €1.50.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Comment on BBC business news this morning that with a new round of QE coming up, it’s going to slide even further…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Would you buy Summer(ish) Holidays Euros now?’ is closed to new replies.