• This topic has 36 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Xar.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Would you buy off this post?
  • psychle
    Free Member

No offence at all intended to the OP of this classifieds ad (and apologies if it does!), but, just curious really, would you buy off this classifieds post?

Prices are very tempting and lots of interest as a result, but no posting history, no email in profile etc, it’s setting off alarm bells for me… just wondering what the rest of STW thinks, maybe I’m just paranoid…

davidrussell
    Free Member

he used the word steed. for that reason, i’m out.

nbt

I wouldn’t. probably for the same reasons as you. Nicked bikes don’t just vanish, y’know…

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

People do come over here from SDH and places like that to offload old kit.

You have to have a valid email to get an account. Putting your email in the post isn’t that usual. He seems to know exactly what his kit is, which makes me think it is his kit.

Xylene
    Free Member

I wouldn’t buy it.

He might agree a price then change his mind about selling it to me. That would be terrible.

So why are you posting this? Did you get pipped to the post on something that you wanted?

MussEd
    Free Member

His email’s in the post? what difference does that make? Is it cos he’s not a recognised name/not in the gang? Don’t think it’s a big secret that this forum has a very good classified section. so people are bound to join just to try and sell their stuff?

Saying that those fox 36’s are too cheap to be believed…

mcobie
    Free Member

I was quite tempted by the wheels but after seeing so many issues of late with new posters I now only look at sellers who have a good history of posting on the forum and selling stuff; he seem genuine (email is in the body of the advert), but you never can be 100% sure I guess – I suppose time will tell.

Hopefully all’s good 😀

MussEd
    Free Member

ps I’d have those wheels if the hubs were black…

psychle
    Free Member

That’s kind of what I thought…

He might agree a price then change his mind about selling it to me. That would be terrible.

Bite me 🙄 😉

So why are you posting this? Did you get pipped to the post on something that you wanted?

Nope, naught on there I wanted (though, a set of Vans in decent nick for £90 would be nice 😆 )

B@rney
    Free Member

I think your being very harsh. Everybody has to start somewhere posting threads on here. If I contacted the guy and he seemed sound then why not?

MussEd
    Free Member

I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt – as B@rney says we can’t all be in the hallowed circle of “weel kent faces”

Good luck to the seller and all the buyers, £90 for those 36s!

smell_it
    Free Member

As he has no history, probably not (no offence to the chap); but given your history I wouldn’t buy from you either. It’s all swings and roundabouts.

julianwilson
    Free Member

psychle – Member

That’s kind of what I thought…

STW classifieds in ‘priced to sell’ as opposed to ‘reposted 20+ times’ shocker. 😆

(not aimed at anyone on this thread btw, just nice to see things sell straight away!)

bigyinn
    Free Member

So they sign up less than 2 weeks ago and the post a FS thread with silly low prices and a hotmail account.
    Why would join up if you dont post? You can still read the forums without a login.
    He could be legit, but I wouldnt risk my money on finding out.

vinnyeh

They’ll be the 150mm jobs, won’t they, with the lowers that crack as soon as a pinch bolt gets within a yard of them. I’d probably look closely- I sold a pair for £60 posted after telling the buyer about the cracks, and still felt really guilty.

Wheels were pretty cheap though.

monksie
    Free Member

It makes me laugh that a person can type all sorts of stuff on either forum for a while and then post some stuff for sale on the classifieds and people will send money. How do you derive any security from that?
    Ask for a postal address and home landline telephone number. Pay via Paypal (but not that silly gift thing. It’s not a gift, you’re buying it). I’ve even taken a photo of that day’s newspaper, a copy of our council tax bill and the computer screen with the email conversation in view (all in the same photo – that took some doing) for one uber security conscious person.
    Ask for some I.D. and get it bought!
    Even prolifc posters and buyers and sellers of old shit on here and on Ebay can be right tits when it comes to doing a deal….cough, cough.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nope – no posting history at all to check? Unless I could collect in person or it was less than £20

If someone is a regular on here you can have a decent guess about how honest they are and it is likely that someone will know them in person.

Rickos
    Free Member

Jeez people. Give the guy a break. He’s only after selling some stuff and should be treated as a proper seller until proven otherwise. Are we all meant to put silly high prices on our adverts now just so as not to arouse suspicion?

mildred

Unfair post in my opinion – everyone starts somewhere, if you have thoughts like this its better to keep them to yourself or share amongst friends via email.

I was once publicly berated for voicing the opinion that someone was pricing his car to high – based on my own experience of selling the exact same make model etc. Now if that is bad, what is this? You’re calling the lad’s honesty into question based on sod all but a low price.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

I became a semi regular lurker/poster on here on the back of only coming on to the forum to sell a frame that I’d bought on eBay that turned out to be too big for me.

You’ve got to start somewhere.

Caveat Emptor. If you think the seller’s dodgy, then follow your instincts and ignore them.

MentalMickey
    Free Member

monksie – Member
    It makes me laugh that a person can type all sorts of stuff on either forum for a while and then post some stuff for sale on the classifieds and people will send money. How do you derive any security from that?

Great minds think alike. 😆

pastcaring
    Free Member

my first post on here was to sell a frame! does that make me a crook?

Jamie
    Free Member

smell_it:

….. but given your history I wouldn’t buy from you either. It’s all swings and roundabouts.

+1

Xylene
    Free Member

Jamie – Member

smell_it:

….. but given your history I wouldn’t buy from you either. It’s all swings and roundabouts.

+1

The not wanting to sell at the ebay price is the first thing I think of when I read a psychle post, followed by the next time I read a thread about another ebay related problem which appeared to not be his first……….not someone I would want to buy from.

GHill

Nice thread to potentially welcome a new user to STW 🙄

Sounds like someone knowledgeable selling a few bits. Just as likely to buy off them as any other stranger, no matter if they’ve got 50 million posts or not.

Xylene
    Free Member

Would you buy from someone who posted this?

Sold something on eBay that ended up going for a lot less than I hoped for… obviously, I know the market sets the price etc etc, but I’m feeling really unhappy about letting said item leave my hands for the relatively paltry amount it finished on!!

What’re the repercussions if I just tell the buyer that it’s no longer for sale? I’ll get a negative feedback I know, but is there anything else (legal challenges or something stupid like that perhaps?) [quote]

psychle
    Free Member

Don’t know Quirrel, would I? Why don’t you ask the dozens of people (if not more!) I’ve dealt with through the classifieds on here, or check out my 100% feedback on eBay… water under the bridge mate, water under the bridge…

I only posted this thread out of curiosity really, good luck to all who have bought off the post in question, my philosophy in life is that 99% of people are to be trusted and that’s how I treat all my dealings on STW, haven’t been stung yet (touch wood), but just thought this one was worth asking a question about.

Coleman
    Free Member

Blimey! Have recently been toying with the idea of advertising a couple of Exposure lights on the classifieds, but having read this thread, I don’t think I’ll bother.

Xylene
    Free Member

Has anybody taken the time to email the ‘accused’and ask them what they have to say?

bigyinn
    Free Member

@psychle You knew how this thread would go, esp given your previous. I dont think you were trying to screw anyone, but if you insist on sticking your head above the parapet, you’ll get rocks lobbed at you!

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

@Psychle – this nearly dead thread just got me thinking what you do for a living, I thought you could afford to go to a bike shop!???

So why the need for a 2nd hand seller thread???????????????????????????

Confused to say the least.

Genuinely interested what you do for a living though as I WANT IN!

😉

stew1982
    Free Member

Well I’ve bought the wheels & forks – nothing but good communication and he seems to be a nice guy! 😮

Everyone starts somewhere, and I only found the forum because I wanted to sell something, and then have become a “member” – I have every faith, it’s always a chance buying anything off a forum, as there isn’t a feedback system (which holds no guarantees)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ask for his phone number, give him a ring and nicely explain. Then insist on sending him a cheque. Then you have his address….

Maybe?

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

What the hell are you feeding yourself pshycle, your deffo on one.

Your goign to buy yet another ibis but a mojo steel from a bloke who’s only advertised 3 items for sale and registered 1 yr ago with no input to the forum whatsoever.

I can’t seem to work you out.
    But fear not, we still luv ya for your outrageous splurging. 😉

psychle
    Free Member

will be dealing in person, face to face.. so limited risk 😉

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Good stuff,

Is there no end to the AMOUNT of Ibi’s you shall be stuck with in the end, duh duh daaaaaaaaaaa!
    😛 😆

ENJOY! 8)

How’s the Hd mojo coming on then?
    Where you christened it?

Xar
    Free Member

Just for some good feedback. I bought something off him wednesday night and it arrived this morning better service than some big bike shops.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Would you buy off this post?’ is closed to new replies.