Viewing 27 posts - 121 through 147 (of 147 total)
  • Would you buy Enve wheels if you had the cash?
  • squoglybob
    Free Member

It’s all relative really isn’t it, if you had enough money to drop on a pair of ENVE rims then you would, and having that much wonga you would be more bothered about losing a Rolex or scratching a Ferrari and making sure you pay the gardener than giving a shit about what people think of your plastic wheels with great bit Gordy decals on.

People with plenty of money do buy the best that they can afford. Why wouldn’t you?
    Given the choice if I’d got the money I’d have a pair, after all why buy a SC Bronson and then stick stans rims on it,

There’s no doubt that other manufacturers are catching them up or maybe caught them up, But as I’m not ever going to put Plastic wheels on a metal bike there’s no point looking so I’ll stick to Stans and enjoy their relative cheap and ready availability.

DanW
    Free Member

People with plenty of money do buy the best that they can afford.

Buying ENVE (for MTB) always seems like buying something popular and expensive rather than perhaps doing some research and getting the “best” rim for that pretty much unlimited budget

bikebouy
    Free Member

Anyone watch GCN?

They’ve just done a vid explaining the differences between “cheap” and “expensive” wheelsets and the Alloy/carbon differences.

It’s all scientifically done, just in a GCN kinda way.

njee20
    Free Member

They’ve just done a vid explaining the differences between “cheap” and “expensive” wheelsets and the Alloy/carbon differences.

What’s the answer?

squoglybob
    Free Member

Same with most things tho isn’t it.

A Ferrari isn’t neccesarily the Best Buy for a performance vehicle but there are some that would aspire to owning the pinnacle of motoring excellence.
    NOT ME,

Likewise Rolex watches, if I’d got the money I wouldn’t buy one of those either.

Golf Clubs, I’ve never ever played golf but I bet there is an equivelant brand perceived as being THE BEST,

ENVE Like most other niche brands have a specific target audience, and people make a bloody good living off the back end of these folk. Advertising companies being one of them.

I’ve personally bought what I think is the best that I can afford being an ally bike on ally rims.
    What that says about me is for other people to perceive, me personally I couldn’t care less,

mrblobby
    Free Member

What’s the answer?[/quote]

Carbon wheels make a road bike look cool 🙂

DanW
    Free Member

Have you ever seen anyone riding destickered ENVE rims? 😀

MrSmith
    Free Member

Likewise Rolex watches, if I’d got the money I wouldn’t buy one of those either

its actually a smart purchase though as if you pick the right model there is an initial dip in value then they usually just start to increase in value, you are also buying a cosc certified chronometer and an in-house movement from an innovative horological manufacture plus compared to patek, jaeger etc they are relatively cheap. obviously if you find them a gaudy middle-class bauble and view owners as a right weapon they are off the radar.

i would buy enve wheels and remove the decals 8)

edit: didn’t see danW’s post before posting.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Have you ever seen anyone riding destickered ENVE rims?

me

benpinnick

A massive cost, but very little benefit to the customer.

Actually I doubt very much that the cost of manufacture in the US would contribute to the vast difference in pricing. While the labour costs would be vastly different, they represent only a modest proportion of the total manufacture costs. Warehousing/Energy etc. are also pretty cheap in the US (assuming you don’t put your warehouse in mid-manhattan) and given the largest market for Enve is the US you avoid shipping and duty costs associated.

At a guess I would imagine that the US build cost would be around 150-200% of the China cost when you trim out the non-manufacturing costs. Enve support a vast network of riders & teams, have big advertising budgets, a fancy HQ and lots more associated costs that the China direct guys don’t have. Thats where the money goes in terms of the operating cost of the business, and when it boils down almost none of that is of any use to you as a rider when using the product.

tang
    Free Member

It’s an interesting point. Cost aside, does ‘industry involvement’ like supporting riders, teams, events etc and using the info gained count for the customer? It’s marketing/brand awareness for sure but support at that level does go back into developing product, which surely benefits us all in development of the kit we use, same brand or not?

DanW
    Free Member

I think it is more skewed in favour of marketing and getting the product out there. They’ve done very well to make an aspirational (and no doubt high performing) product that is the first thought of many MTBers when looking for an expensive “best” rim to buy (the crucial part of selling well IMO).

aracer
    Free Member

Anyone watch GCN?

Linky? Because all I could find was this, which doesn’t provide the info you suggest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QekUwBmckQ

xiphon
    Free Member

On the topic of high running costs (like marketing), isn’t Redbull one of those companies? Huge turnover, but their running costs are insane too.

Actual profit is relatively low?

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

If I was to blow Enve amount of money on wheels I would rather buy these, simply for the sake of trying something new: AX Lightness Enduro

andylc
    Free Member

If you think ENVE wheels are expensive then take a look at the carbon offerings from DT Swiss – crazy money!!

benpinnick

Roughly the same price (RRPs) for a set of 1200 XMC DT’s wheels as a pair of Enve rims…

smogmonster

I have some Enve AMs on my Stereo 29er….Im shit – which they don’t alter in the slightest, but they look rather smart and im in the very fortunate position of having a found a set on STW at a very reasonable (by Enve standards obviously) price. Would I buy a set at RRP?? No, there is no way to justify 2.5k on a set of wheels, no matter what you tell yourself.

piemonster

OP

Nope

euans2
    Free Member

If you can afford them and the crash replacements then buy them, who gives a toss what other people think.

deviant
    Free Member

I tend to buy stuff that matches my riding ability, so SLX chainsets as opposed to carbon XO…likewise Deore, SLX or maybe XT brakes as opposed to XTR, Saint etc….it just feels ‘right’ for the kind of rider I am and the riding I do.

I would want the ground to open up if I turned up at BPW on my new boutique carbon Evil resplendent with ENVE wheels, carbon XX everything running gear…and then proceeded to get passed by everyman and his dog, no matter how good the kit may make me feel when I’m sat (mug of tea in hand) staring at it in my garage it would ultimately mean sod all if it didn’t make me a better rider….and we know simply putting an average rider on pro level kit does not give them pro level performance….training, technique…dare I say it skills courses and coaching make you a better rider not a £1000 set of wheels….but people like to justify their ludicrous purchases so inevitably we are subjected to the nonsensical ‘im 5% faster on Strava since fitting my new whatever’….it smacks of all the gear no idea.

When I’m finishing in the top 3rd of races I enter then I’ll start taking a long hard look at my kit and seeing if I really do need to start spending serious money looking for those final few seconds that separates the winners from everybody else in the top-30….but I’m not, I’m very much midpack so the midpriced, mass produced gear I buy suits me fine.

My attitude may be old fashioned but I think your kit should reflect your ability, if you’re a newby and don’t want all eyes in you then ride basic but decent stuff, if you’re a good rider and getting some reasonable race results buy a decent bike and adorn it with suitable upgrades…if you’re a highly skilled rider and winning local races, placing well in regional and national stuff and maybe carrying some sponsorship then ride flashy bikes, £1000 aftermarket wheelsets etc….I just find consumerism and ostentatious wealth a very American thing and ultimately distasteful.

Northwind

xiphon – Member

On the topic of high running costs (like marketing), isn’t Redbull one of those companies? Huge turnover, but their running costs are insane too.

Red Bull say they define themselves as a media and events company that just happens to be paid for by selling energy drinks. Could just be part of their image management to be fair but it seems pretty plausible, when your business is selling 5.6 billion tins of dirty water for a pound why not put a man into space with a balloon? Some companies are motivated by pure profit, they don’t really seem to be, the marketing is just too OTT and too expensive.

dpfr

I appreciate what you say, deviant, but I have two similar hardtails. One is a decent but pretty basic one with alloy frame and wheels; the other is a carbon framed, carbon wheels job which has just had XT 11 speed fitted. The fancy one is probably 4 or 5 x the price of the alloy though the alloy one is definitely enough bike for my standard of riding. I use both on rides from home and the time taken is very similar, but the carbon feels light and quick, whereas the alloy one feels heavy and sluggish. The times say there’s no real difference in performance but there’s a big difference in enjoyment.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

try before you buy, deposit refundable off wheel sets, unlike that there mojo nicolai thing

Enve Partners With BikePark Wales

Chainline
    Free Member

@dirtyrider

Mojo Nicolai is payment for the day is refundable off the cost of the bike.

Wheels require no man hours or anything else. The payment for Mojo is for 2 peple, swopping parts, and a whole day of tweaking and review of rider preferences/setup. Hardly a comparison.

yorkycsl
    Free Member

I work hard overseas & could afford them but wouldn’t go for them, I did however after reading some good reviews & liking the warranty go for Roval fattie SL carbon wheels at 1200 squids & they really made a difference in rolling resistance the bike carries more speed be it through light weight or just the hubs I’m not sure & the other benefit is 30mm width spreading the tyre out & more grip, bottom line for me, it was worth it, nothing against Enve just not my choice.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I’d never buy a product branded as ‘enve’, the logo is as large and vulgar as the name 😉

I wouldn’t also wouldn’t define the level if kit I buy by my perceived skill level either.

Viewing 27 posts - 121 through 147 (of 147 total)

The topic ‘Would you buy Enve wheels if you had the cash?’ is closed to new replies.