Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 147 total)
  • Would you buy Enve wheels if you had the cash?
  • gfrew88
    Free Member

Just sold one of my bikes and i’m toying with idea of getting a set of enve wheels for my 29er.
    Worth it or not

reggiegasket
    Free Member

handbuilt LB carbons on Hope on my 29er. Can’t see why I’d spend any more personally.

philxx1975
    Free Member

No but £300-£350 is pretty much a set of Hopes and that is enough for my pro world champion wannabe forum warrior delusions.

robob
    Free Member

Yeah, why not? I really do not have the cash though and can’t envisage a time when I would. However….

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

No; they instantly mark you out as a rider that doesn’t have a clue.

jekkyl

Are they called enve because people will envy you if you have them? Serious question. Those wheels are so up themselves if true.

MartynS

Absolutely
    They mark you out as a rider who really knows there stuff.

jekkyl

Better than your spelling then martyn 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Why ride anything less?

Your a fool if you do.

legend
    Free Member

Who wouldn’t want to give huge piles of cash to a company with a shit customer service? Go nicely on an Evil I suppose

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Just go with LBs new rims, don’t see why you’d bother with anything else unless you care about not giving Chinese workers Pneumoconiosis/Fibrosis.

philxx1975
    Free Member

Exactly, and who gives a shit if you can afford Enve wheels if you cannot afford the Santa claus Cruz to put them on.

You don’t see Orange 5 riders mincing round on Enve.

nickdavies

😉

If you have the cash why not?

philxx1975
    Free Member

I would now like to add sarcasm in my previous post.

oh the FAIL 🙁

Is nothing sacred anymore?

Northwind

I’d stick on a pair of LB rims, keep enough in the bank to buy another pair if I break them, and spend the rest on pva and glitter.

Even if the Enves are significantly better- and the verdict’s out- they’re not sufficiently better to justify the massive price difference. My newLB set is going to cost me something like £450 all in I think inc used DT240S hubs. Also LB seem to have better crash damage support!

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Yeah. If I had the cash I’d buy a Foes DH to stick them on and go to Leogang every 8 weeks.

I don’t so I ride my Inbred down the local hills. Stupid fantasy.

Edit: I am the sort whose perfect bike is still a 26″ Dialled Alpine with stans and pikes and minions. That is still a fantasy… CARBON WHAT!

duntstick
    Free Member

I’m 48……………so. No

benji
    Free Member

I would, but they don’t do fat rims yet.

dan11
    Free Member

Just because other people struggle to afford them and Justify the expense, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t get them.

I have ridden a set, and they do make a difference, but I can’t afford them. But I would definitely buy them if the opportunity arose.

njee20
    Free Member

Not MTB ones. Was tempted by some road ones. It was fleeting though, and the FarSports ones which turned up today look great!

breadcrumb

Nope. I’m not one for chucking money away.

cookeaa

I don’t have anything like enve money going spare so yeah being I probably would make a couple of slightly jealously based judgements on seeing a pair of Enve wheels on your bike…

Can’t say hand on heart I wouldn’t fancy the bling if it was actually within my means but then you could probably have two or three good wheelsets for the same money and you’ll be less concerned about busting them, plus there’s bound to be other kit you want/need more…

tang
    Free Member

I have m60/king set on my 29r, they are a nice set of wheels. I couldn’t afford them if I had to buy them.

RickDraper
    Free Member

I have had Enve AM’s and Enve M70 Thirtys. Replacing a rear rim on crash replacement was about £475 after a rock punctured the M70. That cost more than a pair of Derby carbon rims! I have since bought a pair of DT Swiss EX471 rims.

stewartc
    Free Member

I can but opted for the LB’s on both my Mach6 and Switchback, I think there is a line you have to draw between what you can actually afford, the performance benefits to your actual ability and what you can afford to throw away if they get damaged.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m very tempted by a set of lb on my next bike. Has anyone anywhere g aged the enve and lb back to back? I’d buy them if I could see they were worth the extra but I’m doubting anyone could demonstrate that.

nowthen
    Free Member

I had the cash, bought them, dont like them at all. For me, the bike felt harsh as hell and lost all the “compliance”.

Flows feel better. Save your money.

gfrew88
    Free Member

i’m a firm believer of you get what you pay for thats my problem.
    My bike is perfect the only thing left is the wheels. At the minute I’m running a set of crossmax which have been excellent so far.
    I also seen a brand new (first ride) ibis carbon wheel go bang in the summer. I think thats what may be putting me off a cheaper brand.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

😆

Flows feel better. Save your money.

Flows are the only non ENVE wheels I’ve had for years, and I hated them,

Last ENVE rims I paid retail for was 45 Tubulars in 2010, price has been creeping up since then – had quite a few since, all used as the resale value is crap and bargains can be had – did get a set of 65 Clinchers on Powertap G3 hubs for less than the cost of the rims

I’d buy light bikes and far sports rims too no issues

pictonroad

Absolutely I would. A big part of the attraction would be the wind up value…

LeeW

It seems to me that Enve’s biggest customers are other bike manufacturers who buy them for new bike photoshoots.

I’m not adverse to wasting money on bikes and the associated bling, but I can’t stomach the price for Enve wheels. I’d rather buy some LB rims and some Enve stickers :))

tmb467
    Free Member

Just buy some ENVE decals instead – they’re a bit cheaper

Edit: helps if you read the post above before posting…

shredder
    Free Member

😀

rone

Onzadog – we backed to back a pair of Enve m50s and LB with me and a mates Czar. The LBs felt dead, no spring and the spin up was a bit more of a chore. Result: mate puchased some Enve’s.

It’s quite clear that just because something is carbon doesn’t make it great – had USE carbon wheels too , they were lead!

Also, I’ve got great support and convenience with my LBS and saddleback rep. And personally I tend to avoid Chinese stuff where possible. (Not all Chinese stuff is bad – factory conditions vary etc.)

I don’t get the frustration at Enve, they are trying to do something well and that costs.

You can demo M60s up at my LBS if need be – there is a cost to insure and change over discs. Or I’m more than willing for local folk to have a ride on my M50s or AM275.

As a camera operator I can be hired for £150+ a day with a bog standard HD camera for £900+ a day with a Red Epic Dragon 6K. I know which one yields the best quality. Only one of those camera was used on Gone Girl. 😉

tang
    Free Member

I’m sure making them in the US and not China has something to do with cost also.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Hmmm.. Yes.

I’d buy them in an instant – if I could afford them, but that’s it because I’m a serial bike-tart. Free matching wheel decals for £1700 – yes please!

On a more realistic note, I’d probably get some LB rims, were it not for those gopping ‘LB’ logos on them – that just say ‘C.H.E.A.P.’

If they did LB rims in blank unlogoed carbon, I’d snap them up in an instant.

And put Enve decals on them.. 😆

convert

Given I had the cash (technically I have the cash at the moment easily, but buying bits for bikes is not the only life priority any more – so we are talking about having more cash than I know what to do with- my priorities would probably change if I still raced) and I had a chance to use them and they had a discernible advantage over cheaper alternatives I might. But I would debadge them first, just as I did with my Zipp wheels when I competed a lot on the road. My opinion is that I’m paying to use them not be a rolling advert for a firm. In the same vein I refuse to buy clothes with big garish manufacturer’s logos.

And put Enve decals on them..

Shakes head and walks away tutting 🙂

legend
    Free Member

Pretty sure you can still tick a “no decals please” box

njee20
    Free Member

Err yeah, they do. With choices of finish too.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

depends on what you mean by “have the money”? If you have a huge disposable income, why not, if your spending is limited then they’re certainly not good value. I’ve recently treated myself to TWO sets of carbon road wheels, some superlight LB’s and later some of those 45mm USE that Rutland are selling ‘cheap’ (and with a £50 code); I decided against replacing the whole bike when I got upgradeitis, and the 2 sets combined probably cost £1k which is less than I would have spent on a new bike and much less than one set of Enve, Reynolds etc

my LBs are totally “stealth”; UD-finish with no logos.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 147 total)

The topic ‘Would you buy Enve wheels if you had the cash?’ is closed to new replies.