Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Would you buy a used helmet?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

I know I wouldn’t, so I rolled my eyes and tutted (in my head obvs) when I saw someone was trying to flog one WITH A DENT on a local FB group.

Cut to an hour later and it’s been snapped up by an eager bargain hunter.

Hope they don’t land on that side then.

Stoner
    Free Member

hell no.

I even throw a sledge hammer at mine when it’s end of life to make sure no one can use them again.

LoCo
    Free Member

No chance, do the same as Stoner with old ones too.

hairyscary

I have and would again. I still use a second hand full face that I bought on eBay. I am yet to die.

jam-bo

I bought a second hand troy lee D2, but it was from a mate and I was sure any damage was cosmetic.

cyclistm
    Free Member

I wouldn’t buy a dented one

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

No
    I came off a couple of years ago, helmet looked ok but I had it x-rayed anyway (access to x-ray equipment at work) and the damage was easy to spot.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I smash all mine by simplifying crashing at high speed into some hard rocks and breaking myself

No need for a sledgehammer

Recall this from Motorbike days and its dont ever buy a second hand helmet as its not worth the risk

avdave2

I am yet to die.

Well don’t come back on here complaining about who sold it you when you do.

avdave2

Beyond the safety factor it’s all a bit too close to second hand pants for me*

* I do understand that some second hand underwear holds a certain value and appeal to some.

peteimpreza

No

rocketman
    Free Member

No never

It’d be like buying used undercrackers

LoCo
    Free Member

all a bit too close to second hand pants for me

same goes for used bib shorts 😯

hairyscary

I am yet to die.
    Well don’t come back on here complaining about who sold it you when you do.

I dont think my ghost would be STW enough to do that, it would actually haunt the seller.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Have I: Yes, a used once E2 back when they were the XC/Trail lid of choice.

Would I: Probably not, back then there wasn’t anything like the Giro Hex in the £40-£60 range, everything was either £20 crap or £90. I’d rather a new Hex than a s/h Montaro.

I’d never buy a s/h full face. Too easy to damage them without leaving more than a slight cosmetic blemish.

Sandwich

Darwinism at work.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

Someone stole a helmet from the back of my van once.
    Hopefully it gave them face aids.
    Or at least explosive alopaecia.

thepodge
    Free Member

I wouldn’t buy a mail-order helmet never mind a used one.

The amount of people that buy a couple of different sizes and then send the ones back that they don’t want. Have you seen how most delivery people treat packages and do you trust the general public to have not dropped it before sending it back?

Euro
    Free Member

I wouldn’t buy a mail-order helmet never mind a used one.

I heard that every bike shop has a helmet factory in the basement to negate the need for any transportation, but i don’t think it’s true, which is why i get mine hot off the production line.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

I like to order helmets from CRC, do an hour on the turbo wearing it, and then return it.*

*This may be a fib.

pondo

No fear.

ndthornton
    Free Member

No but Iv flogged a few
    Don’t feel excessively guilty about it
    You worry about the strangest things you lot 🙂

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

No

thepodge
    Free Member

Euro – I wouldn’t buy a mail-order helmet never mind a used one.
    I heard that every bike shop has a helmet factory in the basement to negate the need for any transportation, but i don’t think it’s true, which is why i get mine hot off the production line.

Or, clever dick, I’m trying to minimise the amount of travelling in the hands of numpties my helmet is subject to.

TiRed

Yes for a TT helmet – bought a Giro Advantage. No for mtb or road unless obviously known provenance.

Trimix
    Free Member

The one I bought new is now second hand.

It turned second hand the moment I wore it for a ride. Upon close inspection it also seems to be made from polystyrene with a bit of plastic on top.

I do think we imagine a helmet will provide way more safety than its capable of.

chakaping
    Free Member

Maybe you’re right, let’s just tape bits of cardboard to our heads instead then, eh?

Speeder

Trimix – Member

It turned second hand the moment I wore it for a ride. Upon close inspection it also seems to be made from polystyrene with a bit of plastic on top.

I do think we imagine a helmet will provide way more safety than its capable of.

Pretty much sums things up for me – the rest of you are just too risk averse. 😆

tomhoward

Trimix – Member

Pretty much sums things up for me – the rest of you are just too risk averse.

However, you know what impacts the helmet has taken on and since said first ride. Not so if you buy off ‘crasherMick123’ on the classifieds/eBay

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Would you buy a used helmet?’ is closed to new replies.