Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Would you buy a personalised chainstay protector?
  • squiff
    Free Member

Am in the process of designing and making chainstay protectors for my MTB with my name in the design.

I will post some pictures later, but am just wanting to know what people think of this.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Rubbish idea. Sorry.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’d be daft enough to buy one, but not at a significant premium over a normal branded one.

Mackem

I could be interested.

cupra
    Free Member

No. Some folk will but I’d rather spend the money elsewhere on the bike.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Rubbish idea. Sorry.

no more rubbish than personalised topcaps etc… plenty of people buy them.

z1ppy

Nope, but then i don’t see the point of putting stickers* with my name/nickname on my frame either (but am not judging those that do either)… there again I don’t see the point of fancy watchs* or jewelry* either.
    Damn I’m just weird aren’t I?

EDIT: * None of these things are ‘necessary’ but they still sell, so go on give it a go..

LoCo
    Free Member

Nice, depending on how they look and price I might be interested in some for the team/customers 😀

clubber
    Free Member

No but I’ll bet you’d have success with club branded ones if they’re not too expensive and they’re available in small quantities (which I guess they will be if you’re thinking of doing them for people’s names).

derp
    Free Member

no more rubbish than personalised topcaps etc… plenty of people buy them.

True, but a chainstay protector will be covered in shit in about 5 seconds so you wont’t see it.

flamejob
    Free Member

I think it is a great idea. Good luck!

chakaping
    Free Member

Not for me, but I’m sure plenty of people would go for it.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Biking equivalent of your mum writing your name in your clothes.

squiff
    Free Member

I think you will like them, but i’ve got to go out now and see a customer. And one other thing mean will cover the whole of the chainstay and not just part of it

neninja
    Free Member

Makes sense for dealers, service providers etc to give to customers

If I was riding with my name on one my mates would take the pee mercilessly.

Peyote
    Free Member

Great idea! Not sure I’d buy one myself, but I bet there’s a sizeable market for them.

Also, it could be worth approaching other companies. I know the big bike brands do them (Specialized, Kona and that), but could be worth contacting the smaller companies? Are there any Ragley or On-One chainstay protectors yet…

Edit – Looks like my thoughts have already been posted!

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

Trust You Si! 🙄

mboy
    Free Member

Having your name on your bike/kit seems to be the cycling equivalent of Marmite… You either love it or hate it!

Got to say, it’s not for me, I prefer a much more anonymous approach, but given that Marmite sells by the truckload, go for it as I’m sure you’ll get many customers!

chakaping
    Free Member

Whatever you do though, don’t let anyone have one with their internet name on!

soobalias
    Free Member

so many sizes of chainstays, also plenty have cable guiding to accomodate as well – if you are doing it properly

squiff
    Free Member

Something like this that I have done for my yeti. I know its on the wrong side but I have bar type already on the chainstay.

End of the day it’s just an idea at the moment, might do it, might not

squiff
    Free Member

crap pictures too small

argyle
    Free Member

not one to piss on your chips but don’t Lizard Skins already do custom chainstay protectors?

squiff
    Free Member

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Mmm, the idea had some appeal, but now I’ve seen a mock up I’m not so sure. Even without your name on that is an ugly thing, but I’ve never been a fan of Yeti turquoise anyway.

I like a more simple approach…obviously my name is not Lezyne, but I just thought your mock up was a bit 80s

squiff
    Free Member

stilltortoise

Lucky for me I can do any colours, any design etc 😀

chakaping
    Free Member

stilltortoise – why don’t you save a few quid and just change your name to Lezyne?

I think it sounds quite sophisticated.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’d buy a plain black one!

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Yep, how much for plain black ones?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

stilltortoise – why don’t you save a few quid and just change your name to Lezyne?

too late 😆

squiff
    Free Member

stilltortoise

I like that, see a chainstay protector in those colours and writing would look nice. Am not tryin to sell you one 🙄

crispedwheel

I dont know of a price yet, maybe £6/£7. it’s still something am working on at the moment

midlifecrashes

Isn’t there a MBUK one freebie this month? That’s about as much as I’d be willing to pay for one, given the DIY options available.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I would have had one for £6. I think that Lezyne one was around that much to my eternal shame

coogan
    Free Member

Give it a go and see what happens, but I’d never buy or put something like that one my bikes.

Bregante

I’d buy a plain black one!

or Black with Black writing!

I think it’s a good idea for clubs/teams and I think you could do well with them. I’m sure a few shops could be interested as it would give them some advertising (website addresses maybe?)

I_Ache
    Free Member

I rather self amalgamating tape. I think it looks better for longer. I have never liked the velcro on protectors.

flamejob
    Free Member

self amalgamating tape

Que?

The one on my DH bike was actually eaten through by the chain. In fact, the chain also ate through the zip-tie holding the thing together.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

How about……………

“I went singlespeed so don’t really need a chainstay protector, but here’s one anyway”

schrickvr6
    Free Member

self amalgamating tape

Que?

It’s a rubbery tape, that only really sticks to rubbery tape, and it works rather well.

druidh
    Free Member

Would you buy a personalised chainstay protector?

Not when an old innertube works so much better.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Would you buy a personalised chainstay protector?’ is closed to new replies.