Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 2,164 total)
  • Would you buy a (new) fatbike for ~£1k?
  • Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Slimjim, save yourself some money and go for the Fatty Trail, im Amazed how well mine rides (and its not even tubeless yet) you could almost buy Two for the price of the Tomac 🙂

Northwind

OK Mike, since we’ve got your attention 😉 2 things you should do imo!

1) Kick your hub suppliers up the arse. Just had to replace a second bearing in the rear. One could be bad luck, but 2 within 200 miles with no water or dirt inside says they’re rubbish. Not that much more expensive to fit cheap-but-adequate bearings and it’ll save you a bunch of hassle.

(owners; don’t worry about it, I mentioned earlier but it’s an easy hub to work on. Not sure it’s worth taking it back to the shop if they put an equivalent quality part in; It’s 4 6902s, they’re cheap for good ones. Hope are great value, £3.78 from Wiggle. Once fixed, they’ll be reliable I am sure. They are very similar hubs to what you find in a fatty btw)

2) Check the screws on the mech hanger, mine were a bit too short and only engaged a small amount of thread. Replaced mine with M4x10 countersunks, not entirely sure they’re the perfect length but they’re better

And that’s genuinely the only niggles I have after a decent shakedown period. If you could squeeze just a little more tyre clearance into the rear of the larger frame, that’d be awesome, literally a couple of mm (particularly around the bolt boss on the seatstay bridge!)

Out of the honeymoon and still happily married 😆

Sanny
    Free Member

Alex

Your blog is brilliant! Genuinely made me laugh! 😀

Cheers

Sanny

coastkid
    Free Member

Was a bit breezy on the coast today… 😀
    [video]https://vimeo.com/147181028[/video]

Junkyard
    Free Member

[video]http://vimeo.com/147181028[/video]

backmarker
    Free Member

alex what new tyres are you getting?

backmarker
    Free Member

Forgot to say I’ve just bought a calibre dune with the 15% code will take it out when I sort the tyres out! Anybody got any recommendations for wet muddy conditions that won’t break the bank? Maybe some Sunday delayed Black Friday deals?

NormalMan

I’m pleased you were able to get one backmarker.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Mike….one other thing….frame protectors for the cable runs as they chew through the paint/alu forks pretty fast.
    I didn’t set mine up tubeless but merely whacked in a bottle of slime tube sealant in each inner tube……had first bad thorn puncture that took three CO2 cartridges to get sufficient pressure to get it to seal but not blow the true off the rim…..first thing I knew of the puncture was riding a 1psi tyre/tube up a muddy climb saying how easy it was compared to being on the normal tyres MTB 😆

backmarker
    Free Member

Thanks normal man for pointing me to this thread!

NormalMan

No worries. Enjoy.

calibrebikes
    Free Member

@NW i’m really surprised at your issues as we’ve been using 3 Dunes since Mayhem all doing well over 200miles and have had no issues? i will make contact though and make sure nothing has changed. noted on the mech hanger and will make a change to the spec.

@Suggsey will see what i can do, wont be until the new year now, but frame patches dont cost much

coastkid
    Free Member

Fatbikes are slow and boring…

rpallen
    Free Member

Tempted to join the fat bike movement. But what to go for…

What would be the main differences between a Dune and a Genesis Caribou?

NormalMan

rpallen – Member
    Tempted to join the fat bike movement. But what to go for…

What would be the main differences between a Dune and a Genesis Caribou?

I haven’t ridden either but in true STW style will offer a comment anyway 😉

Having recently looked at lots of fatbikes and eventually buying one, I’ve seen a fair few owners comments on the 2 you mention.

The main thing I’ve seen is that owners of both seem to go with an upgrade or 2 almost straight ‘out of the box’.
    For the Dune it’s the brakes most often. For the Caribou it’s tyres due to self steer issues.

Also it would appear to my untrained eye that the Dune is bluto ready if that makes a difference to you. This is presuming you are talking about the 2015 (orange) model Caribou.

The drive train is in favour of the Caribou too but then the price reflects that.

HTH.

firestarter
    Free Member

I’ve just upgraded my dune as brakes weren’t the best and the tyres slid like mad in claggy mud

Used near new floaters for 40 and brand new deore from merlin for 63 added to the purchase price of 497 is bang on 600 quid and I’ve the spare jumbo jims for summer

Even if I wanted to upgrade the gears it’s 125 to go 2×10 deore as the front rings will still work and yes it’s blutoable so a right proper bargain in my eyes even if you factor in upgrades.

I’m gonna stick with the stock gears til they die then go deore

rOcKeTdOg

Dune is a lot lighter & cheaper than a caribou

eddiebaby
    Free Member

For the first time in two weeks since my Fatty arrived I rode a different bike today. My beloved trigger 29. I was only riding it as I got a puncturelast night riding back from a beer with Sabrina the Teenage MILF.
    Darn I missed the Fatbike. The only good side of the Trigger was it being quieter on Tarmac and hard pack.
    I’m a total convert to the Fatside.

Northwind

Caribou seems to be on some good discounts, I ruled it out at full price- fairly heavy, no Bluto compatibility, but mostly the spec isn’t that good. That might sound weird, because the Dune’s is worse but that was ideal because it meant I didn’t mind replacing loads of it, because it was cheap. Whereas on the Caribou I’d have been spending more, and probably still replacing loads of stuff. So with the price difference it loses out big time, for me.

I think this is kind of genius from Calibre, tbh- the drivetrain, gears etc are all fit for purpose but right at the pointy end of value vs spend. So they can spend all the money on the bits nobody’ll want to replace- wheels, frame, forks etc. Whereas Genesis have built a more complete bike but it’s still compromised.

Some folks reckon 170/135 is going to be a dying standard, but who really knows, with standards.

bakey

Well the axle nut arrived in time for my ride on Sunday (thanks Mike @calibrebikes!)

Brakes upgraded now to hydraulic; the 160 rotors are fine. I also had a spare XT 9 speed rear mech, shifer and chain, so that’s on now. Wrapped some inner tube around the cables where they pass the fork – looks OK and hopefully will stop the cable rub there. Changed the bar to a carbon one I had knocking around!

Llandegla Red was great fun, faster in parts than my hardtail… Not too bad uphill but punctured near the end.

All is good.

doubledunter
    Free Member

Picked mine up today, possibly last one in scotland looking at what was available, threw on some fatbar lites, thompson stem and SLX brakes although need to lengthen the rear hose, looking forward to getting out tomorrow night.

NormalMan

@doubledunter – just in time for:

Global Fatbike Day

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

It’s always really great to see company reps participating on the forum, in my eyes it gives such a boost to the brand that no advertising can do. I already have a fatbike but would have possibly considered one had it been around at the time. I would say for upgrades it would be nice to see an entry level premium brand crank such as Raceface Ride or AEfect cranks and some basic Shimano deore brakes. Both of these strike that level of not fancy but certainly good enough that you wouldn’t feel the need to upgrade. gearing stuff it cheap enough that you can upgrade as and when yourself and pretty cheaply. I’m not sure about 1×10 as for a fatbike you want those crazy low gears to make the most of it. Also would be really nice to see a tubeless rim. Obviously mulfûts would be expensive but more oem biased companies like Alex rims make the Blizzerk 90 which although slightly wider, is tubeless and surely wouldn’t add much to the build price. I would look at this as a Dune +1 as I still think the exceptional value means alot for the current Dune and allows people to give fatbikes a go without a huge initial lay out.

Over all big well done to Calibre!

mat138l
    Free Member

just recently built an on one fat bike and they are so much fun and the level of grip is crazy i love it

Northwind

Snaw!

Pretty wet snow but still, couple of inches of fresh stuff last night in the hill next door so couldn’t resist. Got a ridiculously wet arse but still, what a laugh.

I think the most dangerous thought in mountain biking might be “I wonder how much grip this fat tyre really has aaaaaargh”

NormalMan

That looks great fun NW.

No snow here, just very high winds!

Still, I’ve promised myself a ride on GFBD so will venture out layer after I’ve dropped my son at work.

Alex

How are people getting on with the on-one Floater…? I wondering if I need a pair or just let the rear kind of sashay about like the old days when we only changed tyres once the casing came through !

Alex

I decided against the floater. Bought a h-billie instead. Next Day Tyres only had one (just round the corner from me so I went and had a pre-purchase rummage) so after dithering stuck it on the back.

Here’s what I’ve removed

Not surprisingly some of that stuff is quite heavy. Bars especially and BB is a monster!

Here’s why it looks like now

That’s not my garage 😉

From the spares box, RF Carbon SIXC bars, SLX brakes FandR, XT 10 speed shifter and shadow+ mech. RaceFace direct mount ring, Saint BB (needed the threads as had to space out the BB a Looooong way to get a decent chainline that worked) New cassette, chain, cranks and that tyre. Oh and a reverb.

It’s a bit lighter now. As is my wallet. Off to ride it in the truly horrible conditions in the Forest tomorrow night. I expect to find my way by the laughter of my riding buddies 🙂

nedrapier

Nice work. Had it on a set of scales, Alex?

Alex

Not yet. It was a tad over 29 I think before. Even with the reverb, I think it’ll have lost maybe a pound and a half. When I get those tyres running tubeless, it’ll lose a bit more. Even with a compressor tho, that wasn’t happening. I need some Schrader tubeless valves. Currently assuming don’t need to do anything else.

nedrapier

where are you? I have some 24″ schraeder inner tubes, sent to me by mistake about 5 years ago. Apparently just the ticket for tubelessing fatbike rims.

Alex

That sounds good. Ross on Wye area. Based on the spare tube I have, I expect postage to cost about the same as chartering a private jet 🙂 But if we could sort it out that’d be great. I’m assuming the fabric covering the rim holes probably isn’t airtight.

I wrote another thing: http://pickled-hedgehog.com/?p=3554

coastkid
    Free Member

GFBD East Lothian 🙂
    [video]http://vimeo.com/147984462[/video]

scotroutes

Fatbiking for Sustrans 😆

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/volunteer

nedrapier

alex, nowhere near me, I’m afraid! But coastkid on here has a blog in which he describes the steps in tooblessing fattie rims with a split 24×2.0″ schraeder inner tube.

you can get em on line for £2.30, which is probably what it would cost to post you mine!

Northwind

Will a 2 inch tube work for a wide-ish rim? I had a random 24 inch tube for who knows what reason but it’s too narrow.

Bigger 24 inch dh tubes seem pretty expensive…

hypnotoad
    Free Member

I used a Schwalbe AV7DH tube (2″-3″) tube in 4″ tyres for a while before I went tubeless. 🙂

Alex

Thanks Ned.. I’ll have a look back to find Coastkid’s blog. For the moment, I’m doing wonders for my fitness carrying round a spare fat tyre tube!

pypdjl
    Free Member

How wide is wide-ish? When I was tubelessing mine I had a look at a normal 24″ tube with 80mm rims, no chance of that working. Had to pay the extra for 3″ ones.

Northwind

80mm here so yeah, think it’ll be the same

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 2,164 total)

The topic ‘Would you buy a (new) fatbike for ~£1k?’ is closed to new replies.