Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 2,164 total)
  • Would you buy a (new) fatbike for ~£1k?
  • rOcKeTdOg

Just had a lunch break go on a Dune, seriously impressive for less than £500. 150mm thru axle, 190mm rear & JJ’s and a lot lighter than my fatty with carbon forks!

coastkid
    Free Member

Mine was having coastkid turn up at a pentlands ride years back on I think his purple pugsley (I only remember the tyres and his awesome delft bashring) and just getting on with it 😆

Still have that delft bashring Northwind 😀
    same frameset, was Thunderbird Grey, currantly black, needs to go flake metal Saltire blue with the orange graphics 🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/AuxwYR]14th Nov; Saturday beachride 006[/url] by Bruce, on Flickr

🙂
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/AEVD3Z]003[/url] by Bruce, on Flickr

rOcKeTdOg

even one of the consultants had a go and said he’d buy one!

i had a quick ride and although it’s too small for me it felt great, sorted head angle, no self steer, bluto ready frame and hub, what’s not to like?!

thv3
    Free Member

1st time out in the snow on the Dune, was brilliant fun but not really sure just how hard I could push it. JJ’s were ideal, although obviously didn’t grip on the ice.

Think its going to be worth the asking price for snow rides alone, I’d always go out on my other bikes, but eventually the novelty always wore off. Don’t think its going to happen on this 🙂

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Just come back from Basingstoke branch to get a jacket and thought I would have a snoop. They didn’t have any flouro ones on display, just a black one for £440 ! Wife went WTF. I thought about getting it off the stand although the shop is so tight with things, I could image the trail of destruction I could have left behind me on a spin round.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Had first ride out back on a non fat bike today……..and I’m sort of sad to say that I really missed riding the dune…..my back was feeling hammered after an hour on the Cove Stiffee……..although Strava says my speed was fast on a lot of sections on FTD/Monkey……

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Oreet Chris, I got meself one of them Fatty trail jobbies today pal, its getting he maiden voyage in the morning 🙂 its the Fattest ive ever been, 😆

nedrapier

NormalMan, it’s a Puffin. Could have done with it for yesterday’s race!

Course was well prepped though, and my points for 10th wouldn’t have counted with tyres over 2″, so it’s all good!

How’s the Pug?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member
    Northwind

I need that. Chainring bigger than the wheels, it’s the way forward.

Took the Dune out for the forfar funduro yesterday… Funny race- no practice then 2 laps of a pretty short route with a lot of toasting yourself by a bonfire inbetween. Sadly they didn’t get any of the snow.

Lots of fairly flat trail centre hardpack which was just ridiculously hard work trying to keep the speed up, some squishy slippy offpiste, couple of short techier rockier sections… The night stages were a bit hair raising, I’ve not ridden at night for a while, turned out there’s tons of stuff that’s hard to see that upsets a fatbike a bit, hollows in the ground and that where it really gets the tyres bouncing if you hit them unexpectedly… But comically good at the nadgery offpiste where people were struggling to find lines, Bud don’t need lines 😆 Good times. And I think I sold a marshall a Dune.

Northwind

Oops, falkirk not forfar!

fadda

Mine’s out at night, tonight, too – back to the FoD after jnr goes back to his mum’s

cheekyget
    Free Member

I went out today with a mate …me on my fatty and my mate on his 26 er canyon…about an hour into the ride we decided to swap bikes for a laugh……eeewww ….riding his 26er……it felt like a kids bike…but my mate loved the fatty.
    So after 5 mins I had enough and grabbed my fatty back, much to his annoyance …lol
    I was blitzing him over headley around all the boggy trails……the fatty is king!!
    And better still we rode up zig zag road ( boxhill) and I over took 3 people and one was a roadie…his face!!…all I can say is…….boo ya!!…fatbikes rule!!…ha ha ha

NormalMan

@ nedrapier – I’m loving the Pug. Will be out on it again tomorrow. It’s always a bit hard to praise a bike early on as it just sounds like ‘new bike love’ however I do really like it. (Actually I love it!)

@ NW you should be on commission!!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

My Fatty bit me yesterday when one of those fast moving trees darted out in front of me. But it is rapidly establishing it as my prime bike. My commute in a straight line is only 4.4 miles. I can easily do an off-road 6 mile route so that is ideal, and for the Ridgway around Didcot Mr Fatty is Mr Darcy.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Best move ever Tony! I expect a bit of a write up once you’ve stopped grinning like a kid!

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Chris, its the maddest thing Ever pal!!! I absolutely love it! it is gonna take some getting used to tho, I haven’t rode a hardtail never mind a Fatty hardtail for almost 15yrs, my technique is lets say (a little off) Lmao 😆

Suggsey
    Free Member

😆 have you mastered the undamped tyre rebound in drop offs yet? I was in our town early doors this morning and first three bikes I saw were fat bikes! All ridden by men of our age 😆

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

if im honest Chris, I haven’t mastered a thing … Yet 😆
    i’ll be doing lots of practice over the next few weeks tho so I can try n show off at the GFBD, Lol
    is this Fatty thing an ‘Our Age’ thing then????

Suggsey
    Free Member

Could be…….it’s a great excuse for me being slower on the climbs……if only for the fact that I’m actually faster on it 😆

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

its mad innit, they seem like they should be slow and draggy but they deffo get a move on, I did a 35 miler with over 3000ft of climbing on mine earlier and it was just as easy as riding me Nuke.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Missed you last night, I thought you’d had enough dragging it round the day stages. I’m blaming you for churning it all up between my day and night efforts.

Northwind

I was anchored to the bonfire from the second I got back til my wave left 😆

(you beat me by 53 and 54 seconds btw. But I reckon I get 30 seconds off per wheel)

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

We saw the fire but figured we might not hear our wave being called from over there, especially after the farmer complained about the noise of the tannoy. I get a 30 sec bonus for remembering what my bike looks like so the original time still stands. And you a youngster.

calibrebikes
    Free Member

Hi All,

I just wanted to say thank you for the posts on the Dune, I’m really glad that you’ve all got the point of the Dune. It was designed to be an affordable 2nd (or 3rd) bike and an entry into Fat Bikes, and if you like it then you can upgrade. So as some of you have seen, its Bluto compatible for no real extra cost other than the forks themselves, hydraulic disc brakes are cheap as chips these days and drive-chain can be changed 1×10 easily. It’s also true that a larger version will be in stores early next year – to be honest we were nervous on the Fat Bike so wanted to limit our risk, but the larger size was developed and even raced at Mountain Mayhem this year.

Cheers,
    Mike (Calibre Bikes)

Northwind

o/ Thanks for the bike!

Not so much braaaap as buuurrrp but still

firestarter
    Free Member

Yeah cheers Mike I love it fantastic value. The cx in store looked a proper bargain too even had wtb nano on 😉

nedrapier

Sounds like you should be happy with that one, Mike!

psycorp
    Free Member

If it wasn’t for the fact that the frame is too small for me I’d have bought one already.

Roll on the larger version.

timc
    Free Member

calibrebikes – Member
    It’s also true that a larger version will be in stores early next year

Hurry up & take my money will you!! 😆

Alex

affordable 2nd (or 3rd) bike

*ahem* 4th. Mine’s currently having a bit of workshop time. SLX brakes, wider bar, 1×10. Oh and somehow I became convinced that without a reverb, it wouldn’t be ‘finished’. Off riding in Spain next week, just for a mad second I thought ‘would that go in the bike bag?’ 🙂

Alex

Oh and NW part of your socks appear to be a perfect colour match to the frame. That’s Enduro right there 🙂

Suggsey
    Free Member

Calibrebikes…Mike, can you get some spare gear hangers into stores or give us an address to order them from, I dislike SS bikes to get home at the best of times and would prefer to have a spare hanger…..and so eone rose list his end nut off the front QR lever…as all us Duneists know they are brilliant and value for money……..only thing you should change is the rim strips to match the paintwork 😆

calibrebikes
    Free Member

@suggsey we’ve got a full range of spares coming in and hangers will be part of this. regarding the rim strips we did try the yellow but in all honesty it was just too much yellow :)but colours etc are a personal taste

firestarter
    Free Member

I like the green I wonder if it goes with green floaters 😉

NormalMan

Got to say I like the green.

Although not owning a Dune I also have to say it’s great that Mike has signed up and is willing to answer questions. Great job.

vincienup
    Free Member

Depends what you want.

A decent sh OOF will be around £500 unless vendor is taking the p1ss.

Lots of good Fatties around the grand, mostly compromised in some way – as always build kit is the best scenario to be crap as it’s easily changed. Wheels and tyres are much more expensive than regular mtb, £150 for a pair of tyres is normal if not crap vee rubber or cheap and decent oo floaters.

Pay attention to what is being offered and what you want the bike for. The Fat market is very much split between those wanting trail slack bikes for go anywhere hooning and people wanting steep and tall bikes with gear mount bosses in places you’ve never seen before to attach lots of luggage to and ride in sloppy conditions in more traditional fat bike style (the snow and sand stereotype)

Join a decent fatbike forum and ignore most of what is written about them on STW. 🙂 checkout Slam69 if you haven’t already. I’m running a £500 bitsa OOF right now and deciding if I should spend a lot more replacing it with a much nicer fat bike and probably sell the FS or keep it as a toy. I enjoy all my bikes when I’m riding them, but having cut down to three before the Fatty I’m back in too many bikes not enough time land…

nedrapier

Join a decent fatbike forum

I’m trying! Maybe admin have been following this thread and know I won’t be collecting mine for a few weeks.

sniff
    Free Member

@calibrebikes Site shows collect only now. I’m guessing stocks are low. Any more due in or a new model?

Was going to get one but none local to try.

Cheers

Suggsey
    Free Member

Cheers Mike. And vinccienup…..just admit it you are Dune curious 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 2,164 total)

The topic ‘Would you buy a (new) fatbike for ~£1k?’ is closed to new replies.