Viewing 40 posts - 1,801 through 1,840 (of 2,164 total)
  • Would you buy a (new) fatbike for ~£1k?
  • giantlee75
    Free Member

@lowcogger – 170mm cranks from Wiggle + Bottom Bracket – they seem spot on ! Will test more on Saturday and see how they fair.

If we did a meet up + bimble how about we pick a saturday or sunday towards the end of the month?

Lee

lowcogger
    Free Member

thanks for the info lee.for the time being I`m going 1×10 with the original lasco cranks but can see me with the rf cranks before too long.

slimjim78
    Free Member

How much better are the 4.8 JJs over the 4.0 JJs in current conditions?

babble
    Free Member

got mine back from the powder-coater. invisible weld mended the rip in the chain stay.

looks great in person. headset back in. original BB back in, with two spacers (one for the front mech holder, one for the spacer that was there.)

more updates as they come…

babble
    Free Member

emac65
    Free Member

Blimey, let me know when you’re all out, I’ll make sure I’ve got my sunnies ready

Mine weren’t too brightly coloured after a few miles around the Chase this morning, quite the opposite !

Northwind

Lovely! I missed it, what happened to the chainstay?

fattyrider
    Free Member

Mine weren’t too brightly coloured after a few miles around the Chase this morning, quite the opposite !

the chase was rather muddy this mornin

lowcogger
    Free Member

first proper xc ride on the dune yesterday,all I can say is it needs some form of spray suppression!!

spent this morning converting to 1×10 and fitting reverb.the next job is ghetto tubeless set up with 24″ tubes.

Northwind

slimjim78 – Member

Depends what your current conditions are like 😉 Round here, the 4.0s would be ****-all use just now, proper “turn around and go home” levels of rubbish. The 4.8s would still be pretty bad.

Mugboo

Bluto’d mine using an On One bundle deal. Tested it on a long and nasty set of steps, glasses stayed in place, winner!

Mugboo

Gave it a blast round Wharncliffe today, no doubt about it, the Bluto make a fun bike funner

babble
    Free Member

Latest news: My rear disc break bosses are just too close together to fit my new shimano hydro callipers. i assume it is just that the Dune is not made to very high spec…

I’ll be taking a dremmel to the callipers this evening. Wish me luck.

rocketman
    Free Member

Erm neither of them

I CBA changing the tyres on my fat bike so I’ve used the thin bikes so far this year. Say what you like those thin tyres are ‘kin brilliant in mud 🙂

thenorthwind

monkeyboyjc – I’ve been looking at those Felts recently. How long have you had it and what’s your experience been? Did you just ditch the stock wheels to reduce weight or were they pants? Cheers

babble
    Free Member

northwind – quick question. Am I right in thinking you had no problems with JJ 4.8s on you Dune, set up 1×11? If yes, how close was it? I ask because I am about to get some cheap JJs from Athleteshop and i would like to get 2×4.8s, but I think my chainline might be a bit tighter than your as I am keeping the original cranks (with a raceface 30t where the old small chainring was). If it’s close I might run a 4.8 on the front and a 4.4 on the back.

Cheers!

photos of the finished bike soon.

Northwind

@Babble, I’m 1×10 on cinch and there’s plenty of space. I’m pretty sure I had the Bud (wider than the 4.8) on the rear with the stock cranks at one point and it was alright too, but I’m not 100%. I don’t think the chainline is very different between the narrower aeffects, and the stock dune cranks.

slimjim78
    Free Member

@Babble, I measured up my 4.8 JJs against the floaters yesterday – there’s not as much in it as you might imagine – My money is on 4.8s fitting your set up fine. I’m really glad I didn’t compromise with a 4.4 on the rear.

GiantLee – have we made any inroads towards organising the ‘Dune Fission’ ride out?
    Anyone else up for a mass fat bimble this year?

babble
    Free Member

cool, cheers guys! i’m going to go with snakeskin i guess as it is more tear resistant, and ‘easy tubeless’ and only about 100g more per tyre.

would love to meet up for a fatbike ride, but i’m over in Belgium unfortunately.

giantlee75
    Free Member

GiantLee – have we made any inroads towards organising the ‘Dune Fission’ ride out?
    Anyone else up for a mass fat bimble this year?

I was going to post to see if anyone was around next weekend for a Dune-tastic day around the Chase ??? Meet somewhere like Marquis Drive and have a play around the fire trails for a bit then back for coffee, cake and chatting about our magnificent steeds ?

On the subject of tires – I am looking for minions but can seem to find anyone with any in stock at the moment – nextday have the front but not the rear. I the alternative is JJ’s but I am not convinced for Chase related work ….do the 4.8 JJs definitely fit the Dune frame? Bloody hate choosing tires !

Lee

babble
    Free Member

update: chain I bought with my 1×11 bundle was too short! i measured it, seemed pretty close, so I put it on without shortening it at all, and it goes weird and clunky on the 46 tooth cog – too short! damn it! I’ve written to bike-disount and told them to send me another chain of a reasonable length pronto. (not sure if they will though…)

more exciting news to follow…..

babble
    Free Member

update part 2: my other chain (that came with the 1X11 NX bundle i was planning to use on my other bike) is also too short. I wrap it round the big cog and the 30t and it will just touch, but with no overlap (i’m looking for about an inch)

conclusion: dune 30T x 11-46 will not fit a standard chain length. (unless i am being an idiot somehow, which is pretty likely.)

my plan: either get a longer chain (or another couple of links and a pin?) or put the nx 11X42 on for now.

kayak23

conclusion: dune 30T x 11-46 will not fit a standard chain.

Ummm….that’s exactly what I have on my dune. Standard KMC chain on it. ❓

babble
    Free Member

maybe kmc provide a few more links as standard? mine are both sram. if you can be bothered, could you count how many links you have?

kayak23

It were this one.
    118 links.

babble
    Free Member

babble
    Free Member

thanks for that! i get 114 links only, including the connector, so there’s the problem.

Looking at the link you posted you can get the 114 or 118 version. I think bike-discount should replace it for me to be honest. If they sell you a bundle, the should give you a chain that will work with the 11-46 they are selling you.

i might pop down to my friendly local bike dealer tomorrow and see if they will give me a four off-cuts and a pin. (or i could just run it with two ‘missing links’

exciting friday night this – counting chain links. maybe i need to get out more?

twonks

Please may I ask some fat owners if the Dune is still a good buy for a first fat bike?

Have some XT brakes to go onto whatever is bought (should they be needed)

I fancy a go and have around £800 tops to spend as it is most definitely a n+1 bike.

I’m 6 foot exactly and mainly ride Cannock as its local, but will also like to use it for a ‘get me fit route’ around local fireroads.

downshift

Loving mine! If you can find one used then vfm is off the scale…

Any excuse for a pic,

slimjim78
    Free Member

Please may I ask some fat owners if the Dune is still a good buy for a first fat bike?

If the last 50 pages are anything to go buy i’d suggest its a safe purchase.
    Mine was N+1, its since become N. Your XT brakes will make a worthy upgrade as IMO the originals are barely capable offroad.

There are a couple of other options in your price range, such as the Wazoo and discounted Fatty Trail, but its largely horses for courses.
    It may boil down to whether you dig the paint job or not!
    (although the Dune certainly has proved easy to upgrade with its range of standard fitments)
    I also think its geometry is more trail oriented than some other fat bikes – which may or may not be a good thing depending on what you intend to do with it.

Northwind

twonks – Member

I don’t think anything’s come along to compete tbh. The Fatty Trail is still worth a look, and a few others at around your price but since you have the brakes so you can easily fix the Dune’s biggest shortfall, it’s a great option. Shame they changed the tyres, though, but frankly hardly any fatbikes come with really good tyres.

prawny

Fatty Trail is dead now unless you’re short.

Still fancy a dune, the only bit at cannock that isn’t fun on a fat bike is Snow White and the rollers, I got pinged about there horribly and it kind of ruined it for me as an only bike. Still good fun though

[video]https://youtu.be/lGJbFulpxiA[/video]

Everywhere away from the main trails though a fatty would be mega. I’ll get one one day, if I had £300 spare, I’d get the money back on my Bossnut and get a 2016 Cube Nutrail that can be had for less than £1200.

babble
    Free Member

I got to get out for the day today on mine with its minor upgrades. (brakes, 1×11 sxl with sunrace 11-46 but keeping the original cranks, respray (£55+VAT for frame and forks))

Here she is:

I like cranks:

She can fly!

All in all the bike feels and looks fantastic now. Feels like a higher end bike rather than a sub £500 one. great fun day with lots of smiles and chat from old Belgians.

The brakes transform the bike, the gears are nice too, but perhaps less important to change to be honest. I am not wanting for gears with the 11-46 and 30t front though.

I think the only thing i should do is change the tyres (£100 from atheleteshop) and go tubeless (a bloody pain in the arse by the sounds of things) which would save me 40-50 watts of drag if this http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/fat-bike-reviews is to be believed (see also his new fatbike tubeless comparison! http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/specials/fat-bike-tubeless-vs-tubes

I’m still sub £800. It is an amazing bike for the money. what a frame. By the way, i am just off 6 foot and needed to get a longer seat tube and stem (for almost nothing from Planet-X) – it’s very comfortable for me now.

slimjim78
    Free Member

nice work prawny. Get some decals on and it’ll look even sweeter.

I am not wanting for gears with the 11-46 and 30t front though

Belgium’s flat though innit?

agree about the tubeless faff, I did manage to get them tubeless using my fatty stripper clone idea, but I managed to pick up a set of mint Mulefut 80SL’s for rediculously good price which were a straight swap for OEM wheels, and went up tubeless *b-e-a-yootifully*

If anyone needs help in the tubelss dept. I have a new set of FattyStripper rim strips available which arrived from the US after I found the Mulefuts.
    IMHO they are the best way to get the OEM wheels tubeless, I managed mine without even using the backing rod/packing foam method.
    If you want to save several £’s Im also happy to help show how to copy the fattystripper design with cheaper components.

twonks

Thanks for the replies. In typical forum stylee, I am now thinking of the £1200 cube.

I have around £1500 coming as a bonus and nothing else to spend it on so might as well at least have a look at one already half decent. Also like the idea of front suspension.

Possibly moving away from thread title,but would like thoughts on this and if a more expensive one is really worth it.

babble
    Free Member

I’m interested Jim! Bdcaspar at gmail.com

Mugboo

Canyon Dude was around £1300 at the outlet if there’s any left.

roverpig

I went with a Surly Ice Cream Truck, for my own irrational reasons. I’m very happy with it, but I’d still accept that the Dune is a far more rational choice. Cheaper, lighter, stiffer and a (literally) brilliant colour. What’s not to like?

By all accounts it’s good enough to ride out of the box. So, you can dip your toe in the fatbike swamp and if you don’t like it you can shift it on and it wont have cost you much. But if you do like it then it’s a perfect platform for as many upgrades as you fancy.

Having said that, if I had £1,500 to spend I’d also be looking carefully at the Canyon Dudes. Especially if you can still bag a discount.

twonks

The canyons are small only unfortunately.

Attracted to the trek Farley 9 in leisure lakes for 1500. Eek

Time to sleep on it before any rash decisions are made.

Northwind

The nice thing about the Dune is, the basic parts are spot on, you could easily stick a quality brand name on the frame and sell it for hundreds of quid. I’m into mine for probably something like £1500 which would usually be mental for a £500 base bike but tbf there’s not many £1500 bikes that I’d choose instead.

The ICT and the Dude do get my gear aquisition syndrome tingling sometimes, though!

Viewing 40 posts - 1,801 through 1,840 (of 2,164 total)

The topic ‘Would you buy a (new) fatbike for ~£1k?’ is closed to new replies.