Viewing 40 posts - 1,601 through 1,640 (of 2,164 total)
  • Would you buy a (new) fatbike for ~£1k?
  • babble
    Free Member

This lot Northwind (not all for the fatbike – tyres are for my wife’s electric bike)

SunRace MX8 11-speed Cassette 11-46 20030242 1 66,04 66,04
    Shimano SLX 11-speed Rear Derailleur RD-M7000 GS Shadow+ 20029758 1 53,79 53,79
    Shimano SLX 11-speed Rapidfire PLUS SL-M7000 right 20029779 1 30,40 30,40
    KMC X11-93 Chain 11-speed (BULK-Package) 20007939 1 18,25 18,25
    Magura Brake Pads red YY00004093 1 15,20 15,20
    NoTubes The Solution Tire Sealant Quart 32oz 20030500 1 20,23 20,23
    Schwalbe Marathon Reflex Green Guard 2,0″ Wire 26 x 2,00″ / 559 x 50 mm 10001013 – 10001013 2 18,20 36,40
    Intermediate total: 240,31
    Shipping costs: 5,95
    sum total incl. VAT 246,26 EUR

downshift

Thanks for the comments, off for a try-for-size in Swindonia this afternoon…

downshift

And tbh there really didn’t seem much in it, certainly nothing that couldn’t easily be tweaked out. Feel my moderate stature may be a Dune sweet spot…

dahedd
    Free Member

NoBody, stop teasing me with the Planet X goodies. I’ve deliberately avoided looking at their page this weekend.

Goldigger
    Free Member

smiththemainman
    How tall are you, which size Trek Farley 9 did you go for?
    Seen it for £1400, very tempted plus it takes both 26 and 27.5 in wheels.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Hi Goldigger , i saw that its now another £100 off at Leisure Lakes and mines sat here untouched,lol Im 510″ bought a medium 17.5″, i need to ride it it`s a beauty! interest free credit , cheaper than a good mobile a month, get it bought!!

Northwind

Aside; Go Outdoors sell a fatbike bender fender style plastic guard, it seems pretty good. I’ve got a homemade one but it’s never really been big enough so I’ll give this a go (as a stopgap before the hideous mudhugger goes on)

Mugboo

My Facebook is telling me that Go Outdoors has been bought out by J D Sports..

Mugboo

http://www.muckynutz.com/fat_face_fender_xl_black

These fit nicely on the front, the Calibre Dune looks too much like a ducks bill

jeff1155

I find the Mucky Nutz fat face and gut fender work okay, but the rear ass saver doesnt – I’ve just got a BBB fat rear guard that looks like a crudcatcher rear, which is okay but doesn’t stop stuff coming forward over the seatpost.

Is the mudhugger rear effective and easy to fit? It doesn’t look very nice…. I’m thinking a Northwind-style cut down bottle, or adapted gut fender, strapped on the down/seat tube might stop the forward thrown mud issue and let me keep the BBB?

Mugboo

I’ve gone with Altura Attack shorts and I hose them down once I’ve done the bike.
    On another note I forgot my shoes today and had to ride in my Yukon Sport Crocs, nice and grippy but a bit chilly for winter 😳

Goldigger
    Free Member

Ballocks missed out on the Farley 9 at £1400, back up to £1649!

babble
    Free Member

in other news – paint stripper is not what it used to be due to new environmental formulation. Dune is well painted and getting it all off is a bloody pain in the arse. all those posts about stripping bike frames in an hour, pre-2013 no longer apply!

after some not insignificant hours of stripping and sanding, mine will be going to the sand blaster and then for a powder-coating (£55 all in in Southampton for frame and forks)

watch this space for an matt-orange Dune in the near future folks!

arlen
    Free Member

Hello folks, been getting a few fair miles done on the Dune….still great fun and really like going between this and the FS Norco, you get used to one and then its a treat to get back on the other, for me really takes it back to essence of biking, apart from when it ‘drifted’ in some mud the other day, that woke me up!! haha!..got some SLX stoppers on there which really make a difference. gonna go 1×11 as do love that on my other bike… sorry looked over the thread again but could someone confirm or paste a link to the correct / suitible BB to go with an Aeffect cinch crank…its a 100mm right? But not sure if its press fit or threaded etc. So many confusing options / sizes / types.. How hard / special tools to remove exisiting BB? Didn’t want to attempt removing it without some knowledge! Thanks all, happy riding!

Northwind

It’s a threaded BB. The original BB is an oldschool square taper so needs a square taper extractor tool. The aeffect crank uses a 24mm axle so you can use any shimano-compatible external bottom bracket- mine has a Gusset EXT24 in it, because I like the colour 😉 But you could use a Shimano BB70 too. (usually these BBs have a plastic sleeve through the middle but standard ones won’t fit a fatbike; I don’t care tbh but if you do, you might want to track down a fatbike specific like this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/race-face-x-type-team-xc-bb-cups/rp-prod40921?gs=1&gclid=CPu5yb-rzNACFRVmGwodUh8KNA&gclsrc=aw.ds

You know you can just change the ring to go 1×11, right? The stock cranks are heavy but they’re perfectly decent. I upgraded to Aeffect because I damaged the stock cranks through careless spannering…

arlen
    Free Member

Aha! Amazing thanks Northwind…thanks for always replying! Yep am considering keeping the cranks but also potentially have another frame that was gonna build up for my son with all the parts coming off this (he keeps pinching my Dune!)..so got some options!

Still getting used to the ‘gyroscope’ effect of the big wheels, read somewhere thats to do with tire pressure, need to experiment a bit with that as well..but my footpump doesnt even read these low pressures so reverting back to the old squeeze test! haha! Like i say it does feel totally like being a kid again on these bikes..

slimjim78
    Free Member

I used a standard Hope 68/73 BB that I had spare as the cups are exactly the same as on their fat BB – then I asked LBS to order in a a Hope 100mm spacer tube to fill the gap between the cups. Wasn’t completely necessary but nice to have in there.

arlen
    Free Member

Nice 1 SlimJim, yeah that spacer thing threw me a bit…wasnt sure if that had an effect on keeping the bearings in place…or just not necisary! My thinking was if they threaded to frame, spacer would be irrelevant anyhow..damn bro who thought it could be so confusing! Cheers dudes

Northwind

In theory the spacer helps keep water out of the bearings. But sometimes, when you take the BB out you find water in the spacer, which means it’s been helping get water into the bearings. I’m not too stressed either way.

If you’ve got a couple of old BBs it’d be easy to cut 2 inserts and rejoin them.

mm93
    Free Member

Some great information on this thread as always,cheers for that,ive had my dune for almost two months now and have used it quite a lot in some horrible conditions.So far it is still in its standard form except for going tubeless ,for which I also owe thanks to you chaps here.
    Nothing has broken or worn out yet,ive had the chain suck problem a few times which resulted in bending a few teeth on the sprocket and pulling chunks of paint from the frame
    but otherwise it’s been perfect.
    I am slowly building up a collection of new parts ,just bought shorter stem,grips,wider bars,30 tooth nw,and quick release seat clamp from the planet x sale,will be going 1×10 when I’ve got rear mech,shifter,chain and cassette,also keeping my eyes out for a set of brakes ,I hope to switch everything over at the same time.Glad to hear the bb can be swapped for a shimano bb70,like the above posts,i am totally confused by all the talk of different standards,sizes,chain lines,q widths? etc ,I will keep the original cranks until the bb is shot and then replace with bb70 and race face aeffect or ?,are there any other cranks that work with the bb70?I have also seen the race face ride for about £90 which includes a bottom bracket,does anyone know if this would be a simple swap,and if they are any good?Thanks.

grenosteve
    Free Member

I’m so close to buying a Dune… I’ve always wanted to try a fat bike and the value seems pretty good.

I need to stop looking at this thread!

mm93
    Free Member

Stop looking and buy one,great fun, can’t go wrong for the money.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

grenosteve – Member
    I’m so close to buying a Dune… I’ve always wanted to try a fat bike and the value seems pretty good.

I need to stop looking at this thread!
    One in the classifieds looks good value for money if you live anywhere near Derbyshire so you can do a cash deal after viewing.

grenosteve
    Free Member

Thanks for that! I’m in Sheffield so very close to that one…

mm93
    Free Member

Looks like a bargain if a medium fits you,id have it if it was a large.

babble
    Free Member

so, now i need to chose a new colour for my dune! I am going with Solent Powder Finishers (http://www.solentpowderfinishers.co.uk/bikes-home/bike-frames/) – it’s £55 +vat to strip it, shot blast it, prep it, and powder coat the forks and frame. All i have to do is take the bits off first. The colour options are the RAL colours here: http://www.solentpowderfinishers.co.uk/ral-colours/

i’m thinking some sort of green, to go with the rim strips, but it will make it look like an army off-road vehicle, so i am open to orange or red suggestions too.

Help me Single Track!

slimjim78
    Free Member

Im a freak for orange – my front door is RAL2000 and its a great shade. Green rim strips would compliment nicely too. Orange is where my vote would go.

Be very careful to ensure that they mask your contact areas and threads diligently on your frame, ive seen horror stories of folk attempting to remove wayward powder coating after their frames recieved a liberal dose of the stuff.

babble
    Free Member

Cheers Jim. You know what, I might just go with that ral 2000 – looks great. They say this “We then mask it, making sure the bottom bracket housing, seat post area and brake system stubs are clear of paint.” So I’m not worried…..

slimjim78
    Free Member

I’ll post a pic of my front door 🙂

Make sure they consider bottle cage bosses, rear mech thread etc. I think they normally stick a bung into these to prevent paint ingress.

Also a good time to smooth out that useless mounting point on the seat stay arch? And possibly fill in that weird chunk thats missing on the BB shell?..

NormalMan

Just a reminder that Saturday is GFBD 8)

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Build your own Fatty SRAM NX1 for £599, or cannibalise the better bits for your other fatbike?
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBUBOOFATNX1/on-one-fatty-sram-nx1-fat-bike-(special-build)

Which means at least some front wheel El Guapo hubs being made into wheelsets are RDS like the RDS carbon fatty fork, not that I’ve ever found anything on the site to suggest this (and one reason why I never bought a full set and why I am currently waiting for one of those £56 rear 170mm q/r wheel only deals (someone else has pulled the trigger since, so 4 left).

slimjim78
    Free Member

Great price if you aren’t bothered about the standards.

zippykona

My one cost nearly that second hand!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Could be a cheap way to convert a Wazoo to 1×11 plus add a carbon fork and lighter wheels, if you don’t keep both bikes.

Frankenstein the Fatty frame with bits taken off the Wazoo, or replace drivetrain with a singlespeed kit, to either keep as n+1 or sell on.

fattyre500
    Free Member

https://flic.kr/p/PbdmcW
    This is my On-One Fatty trail which i had powder coated semi-gloss black by the good people at AS powder coating in Acton Suffolk.No powder coat in the threads and I was very pleased with it for £50 (frame only)
    Oh and yes this does answer the question about putting a rigid fork on a Fatty trail it rides brilliantly!

babble
    Free Member

Nice one fatty500! Did you put the stickers on yourself afterwards?

I think I am going to go with the RAL2000 suggested above, although my wife thinks green is the way ahead, as shown below:

exhibit A:

exhibit B:

babble
    Free Member

that’s not a 1k fatbike unfortunately! (it’s a bespoke German 3K fatbike – bloody lovely though. If i win the lottery, i have that I think.)

Northwind

THat green is nice. The orange is good too though, I reckon it could do with more contrast in the detailing.

If I was getting a fatbike recoloured, I’d be thinking about wheel matching too. Either paint/coat the rims, or make sure whatever colour I chose has a good option for matching rim tape. My yellow tape doesn’t quite match the Dune’s yellow (well, actually the colourmatch is pretty good, it’s more the brightness)

psycorp
    Free Member

Orange is always the correct answer 😆

babble
    Free Member

I’m moving towards the fern green now….

this is a difficult decision. i might put it to a national referendum (advisory only)

Viewing 40 posts - 1,601 through 1,640 (of 2,164 total)

The topic ‘Would you buy a (new) fatbike for ~£1k?’ is closed to new replies.