Viewing 40 posts - 1,201 through 1,240 (of 2,164 total)
  • Would you buy a (new) fatbike for ~£1k?
  • babble
    Free Member

yes! posted on page 21:

“nickgti – Member

Attention Caliber Dune owners!

I’ve found a rear mech hanger that fits, the Scott Big John appears to be the same frame.
    I’ve bought and tested one from here:

https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/scott-big-jon-replacement-derailleur-hanger-p298404

You just need to swap across the black end cap. “

jeff1155

Thanks babble – fresh eyes and all that! Ordered.

Enjoy your Dune, a fantastic fun bike which has over shadowed my 29er, its just so capable – climbing up anything, fun and confidence inspiring downhill, and I don’t find it draggy except, perhaps, on tarmac – easy answer there! I did the off road Lindon 2 Brighton yesterday and wished I’d taken it!

If you’ve got some extra cash, upgrade the brakes to a decent set of hydraulics – mine had Smiths but I didn’t like them, so I got a nearly new set of Deores along with a 1×10 shifter and clutch mech for £100, then went 1x at the same time as I also didn’t like the crunchy front mech, and the rear freehub got jammed up with crud so the chain fell off all the time. With new cassette, BB and cranks quite expensive, but much better after.

whitestone
    Free Member

Quick question for those with the original “medium” Dune. What’s the height from the floor of the seat clamp? (in mm please) Just checking for a person of small stature 🙂

zippykona

Who is the tallest person here with a large Dune?

babble
    Free Member

Price for the Claibre just went down £100! £499 for now, plus that funny cashback discount thing from Topcashback. I phoned up and Go Outdoors are going to refund me the £100, so from origianlly paying £599, i have ended up paying £462. That pays for the new brakes and a (Decathalon) dropper post. Awesome!

Mine will be a large. I’m just on 6 foot – don’t suppose I will be the tallest though, but I will let you know how it fits.

The only shame is that it no-longer comes with Jumbo Jims, but Jugganaught Pros, which are supposedly very draggy….

Holyzeus
    Free Member

That changes things hugely and i”m having a coffee literally round the corner to a store…

babble
    Free Member

yes, it really is a ridiculous price for what, but all accounts, is a pretty light, good frame, (very similar to the scott bike) which is fully upgradable in terms of 4.8 wheels, thru axels, tappered steerer etc.

i got these brakes from Germany: http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/deore-disc-brake-br-m615-set-88973?lang=en

£80, very well reviewed rock solid hydros. They have already arrived, now i just have to wait a few weeks for my bike to arrive….

unklehomered
    Free Member

Well damnit. Only page 9 and I think I might be sold…

Three reasons.

Positive peer reviews
    Affordable price, I’ll have enough spares to fix immediate issues (wide bars and hydraulic brakes).
    Mike’s engagement and service – seriously impressed by that.

Will have to wait a bit as building a new HT at the mo, but hopefully before Xmas.

slimjim78
    Free Member

signing up to this Topcashback thing n0b0dy0ftheg0at keeps going on about

Ha! someones taken his advice at last! Welcome to the forum 🙂

Who is the tallest person here with a large Dune?

6ft1″ here with room to spare. Had to lengthen the stem by 10mm (maybe 20mm, I cant quite remember) to get it dialled in, plus I fitted a wider bar (On-One Knuckleball 777mm which is just perfect) and the bike fits me really well as a result.
    I reckon up to 6ft 3″ is possible on a large – but i’m no expert.

The only shame is that it no-longer comes with Jumbo Jims, but Jugganaught Pros, which are supposedly very draggy….

In my limited fat tyre experience they do seem very draggy on tarmac/hardpack – but are SUPER lightweight (for a 4″ tyre), and excellent grip off camber and on dusty trails. Also, minimal auto-steer at 9psi or above.
    Just stay off the roads and they are excellent.

Enjoy your Deores – they are a perfect upgrade for the Dune.
    I’ve probably blown best part of a grand all-in on mine but as a result it stops and goes so well now. It has been a great addition to my garage.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Nice price drop on the Dune, makes it cheaper than the Wazoo currently after Topcashback! 😆

slimjim78
    Free Member

/\ this guy 😆

babble
    Free Member

haha – there’s the topcashback sales rep dude again!

it’s great – i got £37 more off my bike with topcashback, and all i had to do was give them my soul. (which they can then sell on to every insurance, sales, marketing, advertising company in the world, who can then following me around for the rest of my life demanding tiny bits of my life from me…)

Bargain!!

oh, and thanks for all the advice and welcome’s etc everyone. i’ll post up some photos when i get the bike and start using it in anger….

oh (no. 2) – is there any reason, if i replaced the back cassette with a 9-speed i have, with associated rear mech and shifter, that i couldn’t just keep the front cranks and replace the big ring with a bash guard – i.e. a simple 1×9 set up?

slimjim78
    Free Member

umm.. I dont think so. You may find issues with tyre clearance when on biggest cog as your front ring would effectively be in the ‘inner ring’ position. Only one way to find out..

If you end up taking the new crankset plunge – I took Northwinds advice and went for the Raceface Aeffect. It’s brilliant. Looks great, easy to set up, easy to change ring, solid, light(ish) weight.

Gratuitous repeat photo opportunity:

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Well i bought one via Topcashback and picked it up this afternoon
    Reflectors, bell etc off. Pedals, seatpost and saddle on from another bike
    First ride tomorrow!

slimjim78
    Free Member

Enjoy!
    I actually found the original saddle pretty comfy. But it’s the law to change saddles on a new bike.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

I did think to myself it looked ok but original seatpost is too short so it was easier just to swap the whole thing over for now

babble
    Free Member

ha! i deserve some commission! (although i don’t think they are making much profit on this bike at that price…)

NormalMan

Would the medium be OK for someone 5’5″?

I’m thinking of possibly getting one for my wife.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

If you can find a store with a medium she can ride it round to try?

NormalMan

It’s (hopefully) going to be a surprise.

But if all else fails I guess that is an option.

I’ve got a few spares that will make it ‘hers’ etc.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Hopefully someone here can answer

jeff1155

@whitestone – ground to top of seat clamp is 700mm on a medium – might be 5mm out either way but that’s about it.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’d imagine the medium would be fine for someone 5’5″ and a normally proportioned legs/torso.

slimjim78
    Free Member

It’s a typically compact geometry, should be absolutely fine for 5’5″. Shorter stem would be worst case scenario I’d imagine

NormalMan

Thanks chaps.

mm93
    Free Member

Thinking of picking one of these up for the winter,i am 5’10 and I’m considering getting the large as my medium anthem feels a bit cramped,do you think that would be right?

unklehomered
    Free Member

From reading 18+ pages of the thread I’d say you probably want a medium.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I’m 6.1″ with short legs (31″ inseam) and can’t imagine the medium being a good fit. The geometry is so compact on these things that essentially the large is just a little bit longer – which is right on trend these days is it not?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

The medium might work if you are a 5’10” with legs> 32″ or so, but if you are like me with a long torso and stumps for legs, I suspect the large will be a much safer bet.

Northwind

I’m 5’10 and about 31 inch inside leg, on the medium. TBH if there’d been a large at the time, I would have bought it. But, I’ve actually come to really like the handling of the medium and I wouldn’t swap it now. I need a long steapost- 410mm IIRC- because the triangle is so compact. But the sizing’s pretty sensible medium otherwise, it’s not #enduro long but it’s not that sort of bike.

Suppose it depends what you want. Normally I wouldn’t buy the “small and agile” thing but with this bike I really like how it feels. The reach is comfortable enough, it’s a little upright but that works for me with a 50mm stem.

TBH I think you just need to sit on both if you can.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

First ride today, it was so not how I thought it was going to be !

NormalMan

Holyzeus – Member

Tell us more….

firestarter
    Free Member

I sold mine and bought a plus bike. I don’t regret it but when I was in go outdoors today the dunes did catch my eye again lol

Painey
    Free Member

I know this has almost certainly been covered in the previous 35 pages but roughly speaking what are good mud tyres to go with? I was planning on sticking the fat bike in the garage over winter as the amount of crud you get covered in when it’s even remotely muddy tends to put me off. That and the schwalbe tyres meaning you slide all over the place.

babble
    Free Member

mine is being shipped to Belgium, so I have to wait a few weeks. Been eyeing up some upgrades already though. (in addition to the brakes I have already got. How is this for example:

https://www.bike-components.de/en/SRAM/NX-1×11-fach-Upgrade-Kit-p48765/
    (thats a sram NX 1×11 cassette, shifter, rear mech and chain for €139)

and quick question for those of you who have changed the cranks – what is it I have to look for in terms of BB/crank length for the Dune? It wasn’t clear to me on the site.

I would also love to know what you mean Holyzeus…

unklehomered
    Free Member

… ??? 😐

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Sorry Normal Man had to shower and put stuff away.
    The bike will have to wait till tomorrow.
    Where do I begin. To start with i am fat, unfit, a bit of arthritis and haven’t ridden a hardtail for about 7 years, oh and shot knees.
    I had the tyres at 12psi, too much, it bounced all over the place, will lower them for the next ride slightly.
    Initially the inertia of the large heavy front wheel is unsettling but only for a few minutes
    The gearing is spot on, which surprised me, didn’t need the granny ring. This thing just motors on, ploughs though like a tractor. Isn’t hard to get going which i thought it would be and once there its easy to keep the speed up.
    Nothing fazed me, couldn’t get over how well it climbed or descended
    The brakes are woeful but i’m hoping i can adjust them tomorrow, i needed 3 fingers for anything to happen.
    The grips are too thin and the bars although the same size as my two other bikes seem way too narrow
    And as much as I despise mudguards of any description them huge tyres absolutely splatter you
    Think i’ve rambled on enough…
    Anyway if you’ve been sitting on the fence wondering for years like me or a hater just try one, its brilliant

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Oh and the Q factor, for me was so comfortable, best my knees have felt for ages. Think the width is good for them in my case

Northwind

babble – Member

and quick question for those of you who have changed the cranks – what is it I have to look for in terms of BB/crank length for the Dune? It wasn’t clear to me on the site.

It’s a 100mm BB. But this gets really messy, frinstance I bought the crank Raceface recommend for a 100/197 setup, and it was massively wide. Replaced it on tips from here with the one they say is for a 100/170 setup and it works perfectly and is IIRC about 20mm narrower- which is a big deal for pedal clearance, it might not sound it, til you’re riding down a rut deeper than the pedals…

Painey – Member

I know this has almost certainly been covered in the previous 35 pages but roughly speaking what are good mud tyres to go with?

Depends what you want I think. I really rate the Minions but they’re not “mud” tyres in the same way that the Nate is- they’re trail tyres that are good at mud. It’s a bit like the difference between a conti baron and a mud X I think. Bud/Lou also worth a look (I liked my Bud but prefer the Minions)

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Northwind I’m sure will be along soon to tell you that 4.8″ Jumbo Jim snakeskins are better than sliced bread for the Dune. 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1,201 through 1,240 (of 2,164 total)

The topic ‘Would you buy a (new) fatbike for ~£1k?’ is closed to new replies.