Viewing 40 posts - 801 through 840 (of 2,164 total)
  • Would you buy a (new) fatbike for ~£1k?
  • Northwind

My BR710s arrived 8) Just waiting for my spokes. Hopefully, along with the spokes will magically come some clue about building wheels, since I’m doing it myself, aaargh.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Nickgti – is that wait for a warranty replacement?

If so, what was their initial response like? Do they require a store to inspect the fault before replacing parts? Asking as I ordered online die to local store being a bit of a trek.

nickgti
    Free Member

To be fair to the store they have been great, but it’s head office which are being slow and rather unhelpful

And yeah around 4 weeks from telling them it’s broken and been put on the “waiting list”.

The first crank I had under warranty I just took the bike in they gave me a temp crank and phoned when the new arrived. But they didn’t have a spare wheel to give me.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nickgti
    Free Member

still no wheel, given them till Friday otherwise the bike is getting returned

takisawa2

Anyone thinking of one of these, if you have children in Beavers/Cubs/Scouts/Guides etc, you get additional 10% off if your Scout/Guides group use OSM…(if your in Scouting you probably use it already).
    Scout /Guide Leaders get 15% off.
    Just a thought…

slimjim78
    Free Member

Unfortunately (?) I don’t know any scouts/guides etc, but I did manage to get 10% off buy paying £5 for their loyalty card.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Fresh goods thursday – I had notice from the goods in guy downstairs that my Dune had arrived so I now have a boot full of fat in large flavour.

First thing of note, my bike has shipped with Kenda Juggernaut Pro tyres, not the Jumbo Jims as listed. Not sure if to be miffed by this or not frankly?!
    Quick search reveals these tyres are some of the lightest around (they are the 120tpi folding bead versions), and best used for summer conditions which supposedly goes for the JJ’s.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

given JJ’a are ~50 quid and Juggernaut Pros are ~£70+ (and as you’ve realised even lighter) not sure you’ve got much cause to be miffed?!

rOcKeTdOg

I’ve got some juggernauts, very good dry weather tyres, as u’d expect though show them even a little moisture, an off camber trail & it’s a quick visit to wipe out city

slimjim78
    Free Member

ctm – Im not too clued up on current tyre pricing, just recall some mentioning how the JJ’s were a boon given the asking price of the bike.
    When I looked into the Juggernauts I started to realise that it seems a pretty good swap out.
    Although, given the time of year (trails finally drying) I may consider myself more lucky!

rd – any good on chalky/flint trails?

rOcKeTdOg

No idea, it’s all Loam/clay & roots around here

nickgti
    Free Member

either way you’re going to be wanting some winter tyres

Northwind

When the Dune first came out JJs were about £80 but they’ve come way down since so it’s not the big excitement it was. Annoyed about that tbh, I meant to sell one of mine but didn’t get round to it til after the price drop.

Has the Juggernaut Pro even made it to retail in the UK yet? I think there’ll be some folks keen to get their hands on that, if you decide you don’t like it.

slimjim78
    Free Member

good point – they are hard to find! Best I could do was find a pair in the US priced at around £95.

I’ll hold out for some super cheap floaters unless I read of any other bargains in the mean time.

rOcKeTdOg

I got my juggernauts from ridewill in Italy

Northwind

Have you been able to compare them with JJs by any chance? And, any downsides to the weight? I think the original ones they sent out to reviewers basically fell apart instantly… I’ve got quite used to my 4.8s but I wouldn’t mind shedding a kilo of tyre sometimes 😯

(ridewill are sold out btw)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Blow me those are some low profile knobbles!

I’ve a set of Floaters I picked up in the On-One sale I was saving for my next bike if you fancy a swap thisisnotaspoon@yahoo.co.uk

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

either way you’re going to be wanting some winter tyres

yeah, in 6 months time (fingers crossed!)

I’ll hold out for some super cheap floaters

they’ve been £15 each in their “liquidation” sale, sure they will be again.

I’ve a set of Floaters I picked up in the On-One sale I was saving for my next bike if you fancy a swap

surely there’s a 😆 missing off the end of that?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

surely there’s a missing off the end of that?

The juggernaut sport I had a go on felt utterly horrible, I’d risk the cost of a set of floaters to see if the pro is any better but I’d not be paying anywhere near shop prices to take that gamble! If they’re any good then I’m up a set of lightweight tyres good for smooth trails with no sharp rocks, if they’re as bad as the sport I’ve lost a set of reasnoble tyres and gained some unusable lightweight one good for weight weenieing only.

slimjim78
    Free Member

damn – now im caught in a struggle between giving them a trial, or keeping them new and passing them on..

I had hilarious results with my fat arse and a set of Maxxis Minotaurs a few years ago.. I don’t tend to do so well with low profile tread patterns!

jeff1155

The JJs are great on loose flint/chalk round my bit of the Downs, and the Dune a brilliant bike on same, but as I found to my (hand/glove’s) cost, they pick up clay and keep it until they meet their friend Mr Clay, and with exactly zero friction between the two, find a teeny camber and you’re eating dirt lightning fast. Cue hole in glove and hand, Mr Flint!

When the tyre wasn’t clagged or submerged in deep mud (it won’t move once it gets too deep) it was okay, but although I think it was the clay/clay combo, there’s a definite pucker factor in any mud since! I’m thinking of some Nates for winter, or the 4.0 Minions if they ever appear.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

damn – now im caught in a struggle between giving them a trial, or keeping them new and passing them on..

try em, if you don’t like em sell em on – they’ll be used yes but unlikely to show any wear in the time it takes you to decide whether you like em. Given their rrp and lack of availability you’ll still sell em at a decent price to someone keen to drop weight. Floaters are currently showing as £29.99, but I bought one at £20 and one at closer to £15 when they were in their liquidation sales the last few weeks and have em sat as cheap spares in the garage.

If you don’t go tubeless then the Schwalbe 26″ x 3″ FR tubes mentioned earlier in the thread are a good way to lose weight (~180g each, OE tubes tend to be closer to 450g).

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Juggernaut Pro 4.0s are ~830g and Jumbo Jim liteskin 4.0s are ~990g.

I gave up waiting for Pros to hit the UK at sub-£50 per tyre and chose JJ snakeskin 4.0s (1093/1130g) instead for £40 each in the Ebay 20% sale at Easter.

I finally got round to fitting them and the sv13f tubes yesterday, but things did not entirely work out… The tube I used on the front blew at an incredibly low pressure while inflating, dismantling showed a ~4″ split along one of the seams ~4″ from the valve. 🙁
    Still trying to decide whether to try and get a replacement or just write it off, I reckon it is the first thing I’ve bought online that has gone wrong within a reasonable timeframe of use! 😯

rocketman
    Free Member

If it’s any consolation I’ve been using the 13Fs in 4.0 JJs since Feb without any problems. Imo the lack pf friction between the tyre and the tube makes the trails come alive *cough*.

Bad luck your 13F burst but I think that’s all it is

slimjim78
    Free Member

Well, for anyone that’s possibly interested, here’s what a large Dune looks like:

And out of the box:

And weight complete with reflectors, bell etc:

First impressions of trundle around the street, feel suprisingly like a bike! Handles completely normally at low speed, you can feel a stronger gyroscopic effect in place when turning at slightly higher speeds, but I’m sure I’ll get used to it quickly. Tyres are over inflated currently so will tweak tomorrow and go for a spin off road.
    I’ve tightened the BB axle bolts and drop out bolts, and reset the callipers (I’d rather have paid a tenner less and received no brakes, they’re shite!) . What other things should I perhaps consider before setting off on a phone adventure?

I’ve already dropped about 400g ditching the naff plastic bits that were hanging off it, and switching the rotors to a new set I had laying around waiting for the right bike to show up.

rOcKeTdOg

Spare tube?

slimjim78
    Free Member

Good point, may hunt down some of those that CTM listed above

Alex

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GULuJi]Last of the bluebells ride[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GLtwAU]Last of the bluebells ride[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Had mine out today for the first time in a month and the first time EVER on dry trails (back on the JJs now). Even got a PR on some flowy singletrack, the grip is immense. You sort of forget that. And the bit where you go from ‘floating’ to ‘battering’.

I’m sort of torn between buying a bluto for it, or buying a large frame and swapping my bits onto it. But then I’d have one medium frame with two brand new sets of original gear… this doesn’t seem to make any sense at alL!

slimjim78
    Free Member

Sell it and buy a large? You’d probably get a good price for the med

psycorp
    Free Member

I love my OO fatty. I haven’t ridden any of my other bikes on my local rides since I’ve had it. I think of it as a “pedal powered tractor” when I’m riding it. It handles some extremely rough and well horsed local bridleways, which would be un-rideable on my other bikes, with ease

I think I spent 650 quid building it up in the end, taking advantage of the frame at £130 in the Xmas day sale and the floaters for £20 each in another sale really helped keep the cost down. More than a Dune but not by much.

Having said that if I were looking now I’d definitely go for a large Dune.

rocketman
    Free Member

What other things should I perhaps consider before setting off on a phone adventure?

digital pressure gauge. 1 psi makes all the difference

slimjim78
    Free Member

I’m heavy. How much should I account for extra PSI according to my weight?

When do you know you’ve hit the sweet spot with regards to tyre pressure?

Northwind

Looking good!

TBH you just need to fanny about with pressures- I tried to use Internet Advice but it doesn’t work at all for fatbikes because it depends too much on what you ride. I got a load of comments from wellmeaning beach riders and flatted pretty much instantly. Work down til you puncture! Fatbike flats are a total pain in the arse, so if you don’t already have a big bag pump like a morph or truflo telescopic then I would definitely recommend it…

Just occured to me that Kenda missed the opportunity to name those the Big Block. I can only assume they’ve got a knobblier one on the way, otherwise they’re idiots

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’m heavy. How much should I account for extra PSI according to my weight?

15 stone with 4.8s and I run 5psi / 9.5psi front / back.

When do you know you’ve hit the sweet spot with regards to tyre pressure
    What it feels like and Strava.

crushbrother
    Free Member

Just been on the GO Outdoors website and it says:-

The Dune Bike comes with Kenda Juggernaught Pro tyres and NOT Schwalbe Jumbo Jims as shown.

Noticed this above the spec rundown

rocketman
    Free Member

When do you know you’ve hit the sweet spot with regards to tyre pressure?

The fat tyre contact patch is lateral. The sweet spot allows them to deform for max grip and minimum rolling resistance. Unlike thin tyres if you pump them up too hard the contact patch becomes more longitudinal and they drag like hell. If they’re too soft the tyre starts to tuck while cornering. Just start with some random single figure pressure like 7 or 8 psi and adjust to suit. 1 psi at fat tyre volume is a lot of air

slimjim78
    Free Member

Well spotted crushbrother.

Ok, I need to stock up on tubes and a large volume pump.

Just went for a cruise down to the local shop, it certainly is a headturner. Feels great so far, although tyre pressures are high and it rolls really fast. Be interesting to see how much drag there is when I let some air out.

Tyres make such a THRUMMMMM! On Tarmac eh?!

slimjim78
    Free Member

Right, what’s the best way to go 1×10 on this Dune freewheel?

Also, is the freewheel easily replaceable, or even upgradeable?

Oh, and is the crank 104bcd?

Northwind

It’s a pretty normal freehub so it’ll take any cassette. And yep 104.

I’d be surprised if you don’t find an interchangable freehub on other wheels but I don’t know of any that are a direct fit. Mine’s been fine tbh- the bearings were gash in the rear hub mind. It’s roughly the same design as the DT Swiss 3-pawl hubs but not the same dimensions I think. I see some reliability grumbles on the net mind…

But for now, it’s just a freehub, it’ll take any normal cassette.

takisawa2

Ditto what was said about investing in one of those Topeak digital guages.
    Not a fat owner, but on my 29+/b+ behemoth, down at 10-14 psi, it makes a noticeable difference dropping or upping a couple of psi.

Viewing 40 posts - 801 through 840 (of 2,164 total)

The topic ‘Would you buy a (new) fatbike for ~£1k?’ is closed to new replies.