Viewing 40 posts - 601 through 640 (of 2,164 total)
  • Would you buy a (new) fatbike for ~£1k?
  • stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Probably best not to Google fat hugger.

STATO
    Free Member

Has the fathugger been tried with bigger tires or is it 4″ max, as there is very little room in a bluto with a Bud.

trout
    Free Member

Is there a rear fat hugger also

stuey
    Free Member

‘full length’ rear would ‘save’ our washing machine 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

i run a 29er rear mud hugger on my O-O fatty

rOcKeTdOg

Here’s how to[video]https://youtu.be/fdjdJzHYfy0[/video]

Suggsey
    Free Member

Definitely on my to buy list as soon as they’re released.

Northwind

A wee update- bottom bracket. Maybe this’s been commented on but it’s actually servicable, and very simple, you basically just knock the axle out. Still heavy, of course, but this is a really nice detail I reckon- fatbike BBs are a significant expense. My DS bearing is a little gritty, which isn’t massively impressive but not intolerably awful either considering how wet it’s been (and it’s been fully immersed and stuff).

Minion FBF- is really bloody good. Better or worse than a Bud, I do not know- they’re too different to compare. Minion has a much lighter feel (despite being heavier), livelier and with much more feedback. Also, on the downside, much more bounce, it took some getting used to while chattering through fast rough stuff. The grip’s a bit more balanced, I think it has less in most mud etc but it’s better over roots, rocks etc. But mostly that extra feel makes it easier to use the grip you have.

Bud OTOH is more damped, which is good and bad- good when you’re battering over rocks etc, bad in terms of feedback. I’ve had some nasty moments with the Bud, where it lets go hard and fast without any real warning. If you were negative about it you’d call this numb, if you were positive you’d call it damped, or something.

Minions look like they land in europe this month, the front at least is a great option and personalyl I prefer it to the Bud just because it’s given the bike back some waggy tailedness. I’ll give up a little ability for that, if I must, but it doesn’t seem to be much.

Less cheerfully, I finally fitted my aeffects (die to a 2 month wait for an “in stock” chainring because AbsoluteBlack are dicks) and the chainline’s pretty crap. Seems like the 190 fitment crank isn’t the best for the job if you want single ring, Alex’s setup with the 170 and a flipped ring is probably the one to do. Dang it.

On the bright side, it seems you can flip an oval ring, which The Internet claims is impossible with cinch- you need to change the fitment a little but even my tiny 28T seems to clear the arms. Not 100% on this one though!

Alex

I think Wolf-Tooth are now doing a Cinch Oval that is ‘bulged’ out so you can run it the right way round. I’ll wait for mine to wear out first. Flipping has worked fine.

Anyone managed to get a spare hanger yet?

Northwind

Yeah, lots of people think that the design of the cinch makes flipping an oval not work (because they think it’ll end up clocked wrong). But it seems to just not be true tbh.

If wolftooth are making one that’s good, means there’s no reason for anyone to ever deal with absoluteblack again 😆 I think I was the UK distributor’s first customer and they’re already doing their nut.

jeff1155

Well, I couldn’t wait for more stock and another 10% sale any longer, so picked up a 2nd hand Dune, paid £416 (after a £50 paypal freebie) but it has Clarks hydraulics on it which saved me £40 and a job. I may have been a silly boy, it’s not perfect with a bit of cable rub and a gouge near the rear calliper, but I’m hoping this will allay my ‘shineeeeee’ ocd cleaning genie…..

It’s supposed to be my winter fitness bike for dealing with South Downs clay/chalk sliminess – narrow tyres may cut though mud but my 2.1″ Ground Control’s skate all over slime just the same, only to grip 4″ this way or that with a snap! I’m thinking wide tyres may find grip on the less slimy bits either side, we’ll see! Hopefully I can get some fitness back in time for summer when I’m hoping to do the SouthDowns Way in one hit. Harder pedalling can’t hurt on the exercise front, and also means I won’t race off when out with the family on paved/hardback trails.

Now I’ve taken the plunge, expect massive discounts and the new large Dune in store any day now, and plus model with carbon forks, SLX, hidden seat post motor….!

I’ve got a Deore x10 shifters, brakes and clutch rear mech sat around to go 1x, but I’m going to give the 2×8 a whirl first to see how it fares ratios wise, and will try my Crudcatcher belly and rear guards initially (there’s a front Marshguard too) – they’re not wide enough, but does that much come off the sides of the tyres and go straight on?

Tyres are at 10psi at the mo with the stock Jumbo Jims with inners – will go tubeless once I’ve settled on tyre choice, but again thought I should try the ‘Jims in local conditions before looking – anything mud spikey apparently just reduces slime contact and is even worse?

I’ll search back through the thread for some tubeless tips, inner tube guide (I just need a spare to wish the otherwise inevitable puncture away), and 1x setups, but any other tips, let me know. Cheers!

nickgti
    Free Member

Anyone the make model of the Dune rear hub? My freehub seems to be slipping as the pawls don’t seem to “spring back” so looking for a replacement.

My spare superstar one doesn’t fit 🙁

5thElefant
    Free Member

Good news. The large Dune will be available any minute now.

Well, sods law would dictate at least. I gave up waiting and bought a Felt DD30 instead (cyclelane has them on offer for £1049).

rOcKeTdOg

Snow forecast in the NWALPS tonight! *excited*

nickgti
    Free Member

the large Dune Geo is now listed on the website

Northwind

And lo, many wallets cried out in despair

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

nickgti – Member

Oh jeez – I really wish I hadn’t opened this thread…

nickgti
    Free Member

Haha Imagine it will be coming some time soon, still happy with mine though quite enjoying chucking the small size around

fadda

Here’s a question. Anyone know if it’s possible to buy a large Dune frame, or is it just complete bike…?

nickgti
    Free Member

35% off the On One Fatty with Carbon forks, doesn’t really make the Dune worth looking at in my eyes at that price

nedrapier

jeff1155:

summer when I’m hoping to do the SouthDowns Way in one hit.

On the Dune?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

FYI On One Floaters are also in the 35% sale too, so about £33 a pair?

jeff1155

I said:

South Downs Way in one hit

nedrapier said:

On the Dune?

Hmmm, sounds like a challenge, comfy bum at least!

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

35% off the On One Fatty with Carbon forks, doesn’t really make the Dune worth looking at in my eyes at that price

Comes in at £650 with the discount – just pulled the trigger…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I know, I convinced a couple of people who e-mailed about mine for sale but wanted a medium into buying new ones. I should be on commission the number of people I lend it to who buy one or I talk into it!

My large trail frame is on the Yodel lorry, whoopp WHOOPPPPP!!!!!!!

New set of floaters (because they were on offer and I’m a tart).

120mm Bluto on Payday to celebrate being in the black all month for the first time since moving house last summer.

And new wheelset depending on how quickly my Original Fatty sells either:
    Poverty – new 150mm hub
    Cheapest – Emmentals, TBH they’re cheaper than fatsno hubs so maybe a good option even if just to get me rolling and upgrade the rims if needed.
    Maybe – Fatsno’s and BR710
    More money than sense – Fatsno’s and carbon.

Cranks:
    Maybe some more X5’s, I’ve had no insurmountable issues with them, and they are a bargain, but they are maybe a bit heavy. Keeping an eye out on ebay for any 2nd hand options.

Everything else:
    Need to pick out a 40mm stem, but other than that I’ll be raiding the spares box for a 1×10 SLX drivechain, reverb, carbon bars, and the rest of the finishing kit.

dlovett
    Free Member

Hey jeff1155,

I live right on the South Downs and have used the Dune a lot over the last few months. It has become my go to bike over my susser or ti hardtail. The Standard Jumbo Jims are very grippy. They cope with the chalk wet or dry, very well and unless the mud is very deep, they are great tyres. Give them another try, but I would suggest a lower psi. I’m 80kg and run at 7-8. They are now more draggy on the road at that psi but grip a lot better. The 8 speed is ok, but I’m thinking about sticking and old 10 spd setup on the rear and leaving the front alone. Supposedly that works???

Anybody know where you can source a rear mech hanger, another person was trying to track one down but has had no luck so far including go outdoors.

Alex

Will try in store in Gloucester this weekend for a Mech hanger. Tried calling a few times – useless.

Dune has it’s first non Forest of Dean outing yesterday in the Malverns. Added a few PSI as it’s rocky and I didn’t want multiple punctures. Probably a mistake as the bumpy bits were VERY bumpy! Brilliant as ever rolling over stuff, awesome on some fresh cut very steep and loamy trails where the grip was phenomenal and fun blasting over the smaller rocky trails.

On the steep, steppy stuff tho, unsurprisingly harsh. I’ll let some air out and go again but it won’t be my first choice up there. Never expected it to be really. After a month of not riding it, took me a while to get my head into ‘fat mode’ but once i did, the big grin returned. And everyone – and that includes walkers on the Malverns who are notoriously bike angry – pointed, laughed or asked about it.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/DsEUN1]Malverns Skive Ride :)[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Not a bad day for a ride. Here’s a non bumpy trail we rode

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Eh9JBD]Malverns Skive Ride :)[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

rocketman
    Free Member

Sick front tyre Alex

Alex

Bought on the advice of Graham at SLAM69 bikes. Sadly it’s apparently very hit and miss to go tubeless. Brilliant tyre tho, had the JJ on before and the difference in grip is – well- the difference between going round corners and into trees!

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’ve had a little play with the DD (with 4″ JJs). It feels fast on steep climbs, rocky stuff, mud, bogs and grassy moorland. I wouldn’t have even attempted the moor climb on one of my normal bikes in the current conditions. You can even go off what little trail there is into long grass and rushes and not really notice the difference.

Strava backed up my impressions. I was above my average (in much worse conditions) and I should be at my least fit now compared to old times.

It was remarkable on rocky track descents too. One small step that I’m always aware of on the 125mm FS just didn’t register. I actually thought it was still to come until I realised I’d already ridden it.

Slow on the normally fast effortless pedally stuff though. Very slow.

rocketman
    Free Member

Do you find the Nate draggy Alex?

roverpig

Where?

NormalMan

On the mobile site it’s under the info tab (next to features). Haven’t looked on the desktop version.

sniff
    Free Member

Anyone investigated a possible pannier rack for the dune?

Yes I know it’s not bang on trend!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Anyone investigated a possible pannier rack for the dune?

Yes I know it’s not bang on trend!

I don’t know of anything specific, most people seem to do OK on some fat bikes bending out a 29er rack, but I don’t know if you’ll get upto 190mm though.

roverpig

On the mobile site it’s under the info tab (next to features). Haven’t looked on the desktop version.

Ah, so it is. Thanks.

Any idea why seat angles tend to be so slack on fatbikes. Trailbikes have been getting steeper, with 74 degrees now common but even trail-oriented fatbikes like the Dune are down around 69 degrees.

Not that I’m interested in fatbikes. Oh no. Well probably not interested enough to face the four-hour round trip to my nearest go-outdoors shop anyway 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Fatty trail is 72, which seems about right if you run a reverb.

Having said that that’s just what the table says, it might be slacker steeper depending how they measure it as there’s a big kink in the seatube. And having said that i’ll have to check my reverb fits, didn’t think of that!

nedrapier

there are some specific fatbike pannier racks – try Salsa and Surly I think I’ve seen one by Thule as well?

roverpig

Fatty trail is 72, which seems about right if you run a reverb.

Not far off, but if I compare the fatty trail with my Smuggler. Both have a 67.5 degree head angle and wheels that are similar(ish) in diameter. The large smuggler has a reach of 457mm with a 619mm effective top tube (74.9 degree SA). On the fatty the ETT is 642mm but the reach is only 440mm (72 degree SA).

Going by ETT (which is how I used to choose bikes back in the day) I’d be on a medium (at 6′) rather than a large, but even the large is shorter reach than my Smuggler.

Alex

Do you find the Nate draggy Alex?

It’s noticeably dragger than the JJ (as is the V-Billie on the back) but I’d happily trade that for not barking myself up every tree in the forest. Looking forward to getting the JJs back on and going tubeless…. need it to dry out a bit first!

Viewing 40 posts - 601 through 640 (of 2,164 total)

The topic ‘Would you buy a (new) fatbike for ~£1k?’ is closed to new replies.