Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 2,164 total)
  • Would you buy a (new) fatbike for ~£1k?
  • Alex

Thank Eddie. Mate gave me a 24inch tube last night so I’ll give that a go this weekend.

First night ride. 22kms not a single one of them was dry! Bike is much nicer to ride now with proper brakes, wide bars and crisp (well to start!) shifting. Reverb was great too although I need to look at the routing. As there are not TT guides, it’s going on the downtube and it’s only just long enough. Might need to extend cable.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/C2DroT]First Fatbike night ride.[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/C2Dyu6]First Fatbike night ride.[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Really didn’t want a puncture so started with too much pressure. The lower I went the better it go. Had a blast. That Jumbo Jim is hilariously useless in those conditions so going to see if I can get another Billie or might go with a floater.

It’s off out tonight in the Malverns. Have a feeling those rocks might test my skills a bit more. Still if it wasn’t for the fat bike, I doubt I’d bother going out!

NormalMan

Looks like fun Alex.

Did you note the weights of the components you took off? Might help other owners prioritise their upgrades if on a budget.

What pressures are you running?

I’ve just got a topeak pressure gauge so I tune it in more detail on my fat bike.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Alex

Hi NM, they are in my shed so when I get a minute I’ll weight them for you. Assuming my scales read high enough to measure the BB 🙂

I kind of pumped the tyres up with a track pump in the dark so not sure of pressure. At least 15 tho, dropped them a lot over the course of the ride. Probably to 10 or less. I’m getting that gauge as well. Really just guessing using a track pump.

I do not the lower I went, the nicer it felt especially over roots and rocks. Wrists were taking a bit of a pounding with the higher pressures. Looking forward to going tubeless but still experimenting with pressures. Even small changes seem to make huge differences to the ride.

NormalMan

Thanks Alex.

If you are getting a gauge I’d recommend the Topeak smarthead d2 on first impressions.

Initially I went for the SKS model but could not get a clear reading without air escaping. As you have seen, with fat bikes even 1psi in either direction can make a difference.

The Topeak one was more expensive but seemed easy to use. You still need to be careful (make that positive) with it but much improved. Also the ‘tune’ setting was excellent.

Happy fat biking!

Alex

TopPeak one is the one I’m getting so we’re all good there.

Right did a quick weigh in

Seatpost: 295 gr
    BB: 415
    Callipers: 185 each
    Rear Mech: 310
    F/Mech with bracketry: 270
    Cranks: 795
    Bars w/brake levers, shifters and cables still attached: 1060

Hope that helps.

I’ll weigh mine when I get my second H-Billie and go tubeless. Reckon it’s going to be 2 lbs lighter than stock!

Alex

If I worked that out correctly, that’s a bit more than 4 lbs removed. No wonder it feels lighter!

fadda

Presumably you’ve replaced most of those components with something else, though? Or is that weight difference…?

calibrebikes
    Free Member

Hi @Sniff just to let you know the Dune has arrived at Inverness for you. glad the rest of you are still loving the bikes – might see you around on mine sometime, I wont miss any of you that’s for sure 😉

Alex

@fadda I did, but lighter ones. 1×10 XT drivetrain, Reverb (not much heavier than that post), SLX brakes. I need to weight it again on LBS scales but it certainly feels lighter. Oh and it stops 🙂

NormalMan

@ calibrebikes.

Will these be available via mail order again? or will they only be store pick up now?

Northwind

@fadda, I beat mine almost down to 13kg with the reverb, then fitted a bud and muguards and chased the weight back up, ah well.

Alex

The h-Billie isn’t that heavy surprisingly. It’s ONLY a 4.25 tho. See how it holds up. I’ve just been sorting mine out from the mud-slog last night. The threads for the rear axle on the mech hanger are a bit mangled. Only taken the wheel out about twice! Did Mike/Calibre say they’d got some spares we can order now?

I really need to get my helitape head on as well. Or just let things slide and go for the bare metal look 🙂

Alex

Oh NW – did you route your reverb down the down-tube? After removing front mech I had a spare set of cable grooves so thought it’d be the best way. Ended up using two reverb guides so the cable bends in the right place (and not into the rear wheel as originally fitted!).

Northwind

Mine is spectacularily bad, hose was too short 😆 Goes halfway down the seat-tube then crosses over open space to about halfway down the downtube. And lots of cable ties

Suggsey
    Free Member

What crank sets are you upgraders upgrading with…..I’ve eaten my outer ring already…..too thin for my weight and Jack of finesse and tree trunks….I’ve acquired a Samox replacement for now but am intending to go 1×10 with expander ring in due course…..maybe sooner if I can sort cranks and BB at a reasonable price.
    I’m still running the Jumbo Jims and surfing the deep deep mud…….I would also like to know what’s the widest tyre folk have slipped into the rear end as I do fancy some aggressive treads for replacements when the Jims are bare.
    Despite it being super muddy at the Chase last night I surprised myself by getting air over a jump and a longer than expected manual on it without crashing 😆

fadda

I’m not *too* fussed about the weight on mine. I may have already said above that I have a reverb and mudguards, some magura hydraulics to replace the sketchy original cable brakes and I’ve gone 10 speed – I just need to get rid of the front mech and get a chain guide on there, now.

I changed the front tyre for a floater, and have just taken delivery of a Nate, which will go on the front, and I’ll swap the floater to the back.

The reverb hose currently is cable tied to the top tube. Not sure its long enough to go down the down tube when the front mech comes off, but replacing the hose isn’t hideous. Not unhappy where it is, though.

Thing is, I’m having too much fun riding it, to do some of these things. The reverb needs a service, I have everything here to do it, and stop the rocking/creaking, but I’d rather just ride it in the time I have available, rather than fix it up! 😆

Northwind

I think mine will get aeffect cranks, they seem like a real sweet spot of weight/value as well as working with proper, normal BBs.

The Bud 4.8 sort of fits in the rear- posted about this earlier in the thread but, inflated to higher pressures it grows so much that it jams but at operating pressures it has sort of enough clearance, like 5mm or thereabouts all round. Not ideal… Bud doesn’t pick up much mud though. Still swithering about getting it a Lou.

Oh- incidentally, only done one ride really but oval rings seem like a good thing on fat bikes, takes away that boingoingoing that you can get when pedalling seated in a low gear.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Northwind thanks for the pointer…. Was looking at the Hope Cranks but was then thinking that the axle on them would present an issue for BB sourcing…..whereas the Aeffect is spot on for sensible value and Bb availability……so guess that will be my route eventually.
    I must admit I was being a bit lazy not going back through the thread re the rear tyre……but I guess 4.8s big enough and I only run them at 8psi on the rear anyway…..too much effort to add air when I’m out and about riding….

Alex

Mine is spectacularily bad,

This made me feel quite a lot better about my setup 😉

but oval rings seem like a good thing on fat bikes

Wish you hadn’t said that. I was trying not to buy anything else for it.

I have the RF effect cranks. Had to space them out with two spacers on the drive side. Which then meant I had a bit of a dither about the thread depth on a hope BB and lobbed a Saint in there instead. Light and stiff cranks and not silly money.

If I can’t get another Billie in a week or so, I’m going for a floater. Or maybe a nate and stick the billie on the front. To be honest anything would be better than the jim! @suggsey – I haven’t ridden anything other than the billie or the jim but the billie is 4.25 and there is LOADS of space out back. Seems pretty grippy as well. Guess I’m running about 10PSI but until I get my digigauge it’s not much more than guesswork.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback Alex.

calibrebikes
    Free Member

@Northwind there are only bikes available in store at the moment, but we have more bikes coming early New Year

Hoff

So intrigue got the better of me & a quick spin on some kind strangers Fatty Trail on Cannock Chase has resulted in me being the proud owner of a hardly used Fatty… couple of great days out at Swinley & night rides on Cannock Chase in the past couple of weeks & I’m hooked.

Really like the look of those Dunes too

firestarter
    Free Member

First chance I’ve had for a ride since making a couple of changes. Swapped brakes to deore tyres to on one floaters and stuck on a pair of mucky nutz fenders

Did same route as last time but this time it was even more boggy Muddy and waterlogged. Bike slid way less I had some self steer but mostly managed to correct it only had to dab foot a couple of times where as last time out it was much worse.

Brakes well shimano just work don’t they 🙂

And mucky nutz kept me way cleaner than last time out. I May fashion a diy job for the chainstay bridge to help out even more

Overall pretty cheap upgrades that made a huge difference and I still have my jumbo jims for summer 🙂

NormalMan

Good to know about the mucky nutz fenders, as I’ve just ordered the rear one for my Pug.

sillyoldman

A mate of mine is selling a Genesis Caribou 17.5 2015 for £700 if that’s of interest to anyone? Email in profile – I can put you in touch. Hardly used, and in great condition. Just been professionally stripped and rebuilt.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I’ve just gone and ordered a pair of floaters in white……as they’re £29.99 each instead of £39.99 for the green or black, I’m looking forward to less skating on the local clay based mud and a tiny bit more traction………..save the Jims for summer too…… 😆

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I found that the Floaters have reached their limits locally on the horse torn trails. Nates here I come.

Defender
    Free Member

I found that the Floaters have reached their limits locally on the horse torn trails. Nates here I come.

My OOF has Floaters, but I have a pair of Nates to go on at some point:-)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just testing the water, would anyone be interested in my Large fatty. Standard spec, with carbon forks?

Could upgrade to a 777mm kunckleball carbon bar and a reverb (125mm drop, 420mm post, shimmed 30.9 to 31.6). Front is tubeless’d, rear is still tubed.

Strava says it’s done 600 miles.

And could throw in a new bosch hole saw and a can of cutting fluid if anyone want’s to drill the rims. Also a choice between 1×10 SLX with N/W ring and 2×10 X5.

Not desperate to sell, but itching to upgrade to something with a Bluto in the new year.

phy7tes
    Free Member

^^^ Possibly interested, email in profile ….

sniff
    Free Member

Proud owner of a Dune now thanks to the terrific service from @calibrebikes and the Inverness store.

Will post a pic soon.

calibrebikes
    Free Member

@Sniff – glad it arrived and you’re now part of the super bright crew 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

@calibrebikes quick one for you. If I decided to go 1×10 and swap the cranks to say the racetrack affect fat what chainline would be required? I would probably just keep the cranks for now but handy to know
    Someone above mentioned a bit of trouble getting chainline when swapping cranks

And if I went 2×10 the front mech as standard is 3×8 I’m presuming I’d need a 3×10 rather than a 2×10 mech due to running a 22t granny ring

Also standard fit is the etype with a plate attached I’m struggling to find any more modern mechs Other than direct fit with plate is there any other options

1×10 looks the easier option tbh if my legs can handle it lol

Thanks for your time

Suggsey
    Free Member

You think it’s bright with the stock Jumbo Jims on it, fitted my white OO Floaters to mine today and it’s lighting the dark garage interior all by itself now 😆

nickgti
    Free Member

Now the proud owner of a Calibre Dune maiden voyage tomorrow, can’t wait!

Any pics with the white floaters?

sniff
    Free Member

First snow ride was great fun. Jumbo Jims were sketchy in the mud though.

Swapped out the bars for something from the spares pile.

It’s still bloody bright even with the mud left on 😀

zippykona

What’s the opinion of Dune verses Voodoo?
    As I’ve mentioned elsewhere it will also have to be my rigid road bike. Which bike will be easiest to source narrow wheels for? It will run cycle cross tyres in road mode.
    Which bike comes equipped with the best tyres for sand/ shingle riding? I have spare brakes and transmission so those need not be part of the equation.

johnnystorm

Dune would be my choice, the 190 rear making it easier to fit 5″ tyres. The dune tyres might not be perfect for the beach but the voodoos tyres are shit everywhere. The voodoo could use on ones 29er fat not fat wheelset but they also have some cheap ones in the dune sizes, albeit wide and they do some fat road tyres too.

timc
    Free Member

When is the large dune’s due?

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 2,164 total)

The topic ‘Would you buy a (new) fatbike for ~£1k?’ is closed to new replies.