• This topic has 30 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Alex.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Would you buy a new 26"er frame
  • Stevet1
    Free Member

I really don’t want to start another wheel size debate. No Really. No REALLY REALLY.
    But I am thinking of replacing my hardtail frame with another hardtail 26″ frame that costs over a grand. I can only justify this kind of purchase if its going to last me 5 years +
    However now I’m having second thoughts. Am I going to struggle to get decennt tyres / forks in that timeframe? I already can’t get a decent straight steerer 130mm travel fork which is one of the reasons for looking at a new frame.

clubber
    Free Member

I guess it depends on whether you will keep it for 5 years. In 5 years, it’ll be worth not a lot regardless of what it cost new or whether it’s 26/29/650b/another new wheel size. I can’t see that you’ll struggle to get decent new parts in its life – even if you have to buy second hand (eg forks) though that’s on the assumption that you aren’t someone who needs to have the very latest, greatest kit.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Yes. Plenty of them. On Ones, Cotics, Cromags,

What frame you looking at for a grand? Ti something?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rOcKeTdOg

I’d wait & see if you can get a bargain, the longer they push 27.5 & 29″ the less desirable 26″ will be & prices will drop as shops try to get rid of stock no one is buying, or buy it now if you won’t get upset if you see one 50% less than you paid in 6 months time

fervouredimage
    Free Member

My next bike is almost certainly going to be a 26″. Not because I’m some 26″ campaigner but there are still plenty of very good 26″ bikes that i really like, that fit the bill for what I want. I’ll take my chances with parts availability.

tonyd

I don’t think 26″ is going anywhere fast, not that I’d know particularly! It does seem like manufacturers are all pushing towards 650b/29er but even if they stop selling 26″ bikes tomorrow they’ll be doing parts for ages.

I’d still buy one (I did last year) as I’m very happy with 26″ wheels, they do what I need them to do (go round) and I have a ton of parts in the garage for 26ers. I’m also probably too short for a 29er, don’t see the point in upgrading everything to 650b, and don’t race so no need for extra speed that I can’t necessarily handle. The trail is also quite alive enough for me.

I generally get a new (to me) bike every 5 years or so, at which point I might consider a change next time.

I thin kit depends on your personal circumstances, if you need to get frame and fork and your wheels are getting on a bit, maybe it’s a good time to upgrade?

Stevet1
    Free Member

What frame you looking at for a grand? Ti something?
    Ti slackline.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Well for God’s sake if that’s what you are in the market for bloody buy it.

There will be plenty parts around for years in my sort of uneducated opinion. And in five years, if you’ve looked after it, ill buy it off you.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Folks worry too much. My main bike still runs a sq taper bottom bracket and 94bcd 5 bolt cranks and I have no plans to change anytime soon. 94bcd was what, late nineties? Chainrings are still available if you know where to look – in fact just replaced my ageing Profile ring with a lovely gold one 😛

1 x 20″ er, 1 x 24, 2 x 26 and a 650b here – it’s all good. Just buy what you fancy and enjoy! 😀

jedi

i’d deffo buy another 26

woodsman
    Free Member

Yes, and I did

I think things will settle down in a few years, I’m hearing conflicting opinions on the new wheel sizes within the many groups I ride with. Go with what suits your body size, and riding style. All the wheel sizes have their pros and cons it’s about finding the right one for you. I may stock up on a few wheel rims of choice incase production is as I can imagine is concentrated, on the Emperor’s new clothes at the moment ;0)

porter_jamie

Absolutely, if i buy another bike or frame it will be 26er bacause all my forks and wheels and tyres i have are 26″. i never ever buy anything with regard to it’s future value, because i never sell anything. The only stuggle now is getting a decent non tapered fork, so the next frame will probably have to be tapered or 44mm.

chrisdw
    Free Member

I don’t think wheels are the biggest concern. I have just got a frame with a 1 1/8 head tube and it isn’t easy to find forks that fit, and the options are ever reducing. So as long as tapered forks fit, I’d be happy with a 26 inch frame.

Edit: Beaten to it! ^^

wwaswas

axle to crown on a lot of 650B forks isn’t that different from 26″ counterparts and offset is probably not a *huge* thing to worry about?

woodsman
    Free Member

Interesting, as I prefer 100mm forks for singletrack – anything more and the bike is too slow in and out of the tight stuff imo, I’m not finding that a problem. Plus I have lots of old forks that I’ll get new stantions and bushes fitted to, rather that replace – cheaper too – slightly!

On my full suss bike, yep I have to admit that I’d have to go taper or 44mm to get the travel. But, as skinny steel is my favourite ride I’ll not lose any sleep over it! 🙂

kimbers

id happily buy another 26er…..
    considering getting a new (S/H) DH bike and Id be buying it because I want a bike thats fun

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I just did last week. I don’t have any plans to buy new forks/wheels etc and 26″ bikes fit me just right.

If 26″ does disappear then I’ll buy up all the bargain stock and have spares for years.

Might even start my own 26″ spares ebay shop.

Nobby

I would and did – saved a fortune on the frame I was intending to buy anyway 🙂

roverpig

I already can’t get a decent straight steerer 130mm travel fork which is one of the reasons for looking at a new frame

You’ve answered your own question. You’ll struggle to get parts for whatever frame you buy now in five years time, regardless of the wheelsize. Manufacturers have no incentive to keep standards the same. Quite the opposite. So even if you buy the latest trendy wheelsize (and assuming that it really does become the dominant standard, which is far from certain) you still wont be able to fit a new fork to it in a few years as they’ll have changed some other “standard” by then. So just buy whatever you like right now.

bungalistic
    Free Member

I just did too 🙂

Stevet1
    Free Member

Okay, still feeling the love for 26″ so will stick with it.
    Now Stanton – get that Ti slackline reduced, you know its practically obsolete!

tops5
    Free Member

I just have and for £500 less than the 650B version!

messiah
    Free Member

Buy what suits where and how you ride.

freeridenick
    Free Member

i bought one.

cloudnine
    Free Member

If it’s a good price and you like it then buy it.

emac65
    Free Member

Bought my first 29er 5 years ago,got 3 now…Still ride 26″ bikes too & wouldn’t think twice about buying a 26″ wheeled frame(rarely by a complete bike)if one took my fancy..

Still don’t know why it has to be a one or the other for so many people.
    Got both,still enjoy riding both-it’s all MTBing !

Speshpaul

after all going 29 a number of the big players (G&S) are going all 27.5 next year if the rumours are true. so no real pattern has been formed, (27.5 is for fence sitters IMHO :D)

conversation i had with Al at Plush Hills about Souls and solaris.
    He was a 29er convert but has a Soul as a demo bike, rode the soul- blown away.
    Conclusion- a good frame is a good frame. wheel size doesn’t matter.

brassneck

Lots of second hand bargains to be had in 26″ if you want to mitigate the risk 🙂

Probably including mine later this year, 29 works better for 95% of my riding so I’ll swap on my decennial new bike purchase.

Not looking forward to replacing the Dead Tyre Pile.

cookeaa

TBH I’d hang on and see if you can, personally I’m inclined to wait for a HT frame that ticks all the boxes I’m likely to need, wheel size is only part of the mix and a few other things need to shake out before I replace my HT, three competing wheel sizes and various other changing “standards” only serve to sub-divide the market and probably knackers VFM generally at this point IMO…

Once all the wheel sizing nonsense has been settled (by the market I assume) I kind of want the following in my next HT, probably.

Steel, possibly Carbon, who knows, sensible weight and robust at a reasonable price will do me.
    44mm headtube
    30.9+ Seat tube (wider dropper compatibility options)
    Slackish Head angle
    sensible length front end and standover height
    135/QR Dropouts (I’d consider 142×12 but has it been (and will it be) adopted all that widely on HTs?
    Euro BB
    ~2.3″(+) tyre clearance whatever the wheel size

All of which sounds very 45650b-ish, but I’m still going to wait and eek another couple of years out of my “Old” but perfectly functional 26″ wheeled HT, I don’t think it’ll be too hard to keep it going that bit longer…

I’m not too bothered about keeping up with the new shiney Standards, I’m a serial used parts buyer. But in 5-10 years time I can see me having some issues if I’m trying to keep a 26″ wheeled, EC34 head-tubed, 27.2mm seat-tubed frame going, when the used examples of compatible parts are drying up, and newer versions have ceased to be made.
    There’s no great pressure to change frames… Just yet, but there will be longer term, not an issue if yo change bikes every other year but if you tend to wring a decade out of a bike, or buy used kit there will be a tipping point IMO.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I’ll be buying dual air sids on 1 1/8th with QR for about £27 next year online I reckon.

Alex

Me too. To complement my 29er. All bikes are good. Wheel sizes somewhat irrelevant in the grand scale of things. Definitely stuff 29er is better at and stuff 26 is better at. Both good. What’s not to like?

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Would you buy a new 26"er frame’ is closed to new replies.