Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Would you buy a discontinued bike?
  • MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

After my mess up with the Heckler sizing i’ve been offered a Santa Cruz Nickel as a swap by the shop.

To be honest the Heckler was more bike than i needed so the Nickel at 125 and 140mm upfront seems perfect.

The issue is Santa Cruz discontinued it. It will come with a warranty the same as the Heckler.

Any thoughts or anything i should be taking into consideration?

jonba
    Free Member

Ask about the warranty – it should still have one.

Spare parts should be your only concern. Ask to make sure you will be able to get bearings and mech hangers.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Any thoughts or anything i should be taking into consideration?

That its not actually any lighter than the Heckler and especially if you’re going to keep the same fork, what will you gain?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

My fork is a travel adjust Sektor 110-150 so is perfect for the Nickel.

It’s more of the fact they don’t have a Heckler in the size i need.

The nickel seems like a good in-between.

I should add the Heckler is a 2012 and was the last of that year model.

dantsw13

I’d have no issue with a discontinued bike, but I’d only accept a swap from a retailer if it was what i wanted.

MartynS

I did many thousands of years ago. I bought a gt sts1000 just after the idrives were released.
    To be honest I never had a problem with it so never had to make a warranty claim.
    It’s long been retired but I could still get bits now from betd.
    I got a brilliant bike for under half the original retail price.
    I’d you’re saving a stink load of money I’d do it….

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I went for the Heckler because it was a great price. My trance before was great and that was 5″.

I think parts are available and the warranty is 5 years like the Heckler.

I’d not really thought about the Nickel but it seems like a great option.

The bike shop is being helpful to be honest as i fitted a headset so really it is my fault.

geetee1972
    Free Member

So are they offering you a strait swap just to solve the sizing mistake you made? If so that’s seriously good service. You should publish who these guys are they deserve credit.

I wouldn’t have any concerns with taking a Nckel. They were/are excellent bikes. I’m not sure why they were discontinued.

batman11
    Free Member

Nickel is a nice bike more active than the single pivot designs. Heavyer though as its made from the cheaper ally I had an xl, fox 140 forks complete xt and dt Swiss ex1750 wheels still came out over 30lbs. Rode stable but was a lump on the ups and to my mind not all down to weight it just felt cumbersome.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

We had a long talk before i bought about sizing and was advised to go for a medium. The bike shop have been great as we agreed before the sale.

Yeah the weight does seem high but it’s never bothered me before. It is an excellent deal. I reckon i could build it to weigh less than the Heckler which is good.

I fully accept i made the final sizing choice hence me trying to sell the frame first, i listed before the shop made this offer.

Thanks for the advice guys.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Nickel is a nice bike more active than the single pivot designs.

You mean more active than their other single pivot designs only the Nickel is a single pivot.

SC have a habit of making their shorter travel bikes barely any lighter than their longer travel equivalents. The Blur LTc is only fractionally lighter than the Carbon Nomad for instance.

But it does mean you can build it with a lighter fork and that does make a big difference to the final weight.

We had a long talk before i bought about sizing and was advised to go for a medium.

So how tall are you and what size do you now know you need?

johnhe

It wouldn’t bother me one bit.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

Im 5ft 7 but with short legs and arms, i know SC run small but the medium standover and reach were a little too much.

The small should be spot on for a midget like me.

Paceman
    Free Member

Sounds like a good offer as long as the Nickel suits your needs.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I guess the thought of 150mm seemed good as it would make up for my lack of skills. The Nickel sits between the trance and the heckler for me which is perfect.

The Heckler, or say an Orange 5, would be over biked for my style. It was just such a good offer on the Heckler.

Really appreciate the help and advice guys. If i get the Nickel i can afford a skills day too.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I bought the last of the sovereigns. Last chance to own one. Doubt ill break it.

composite
    Free Member

Heard several stories of people breaking a frame that wasn’t made any more and the warranty replacement being what ever frame replaced it in the range. Not always 100% successful if the old bits don’t fit the new frame but not a total disaster either and they got a newer frame for their money.

Would certainly be more worried about the mech hanger but you could just pick up a couple of spares now.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Did you actually build the medium up?

….I’m 5.9 with equally dinky limbs and the medium heckler was far to short for me. Ie are you maybe not just creating another headache for yourself by going with a smaller frame as the standover may be better, but the tt will be tiny.

I had exactly the same debate between medium and large and went for the medium (because of stand over height). Ended up selling it for reasons above.

superfli
    Free Member

I’m 5’8″ with short legs (29″) and short arms. Heckler medium is perfect for me. I’ve very surprised the medium isnt good with you Mosey. 65mm stem and reverb (so no layback)

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

It’s the standover mate, with shoes on I’m hitting the top tube uncomfortably. My inseam is barely 28″.

On paper the medium seems perfect.

Yeah I built it up on the advice of the shop.

The TT is an inch shorter on the short nickel so should be spot on.

I know I don’t ride it sat on it but I’m on tip toes so its just not right.

dantsw13

What you need mosey is a set of offset bushings! Lowers the bb by approx 0.5″(so lowering s/o height) and slackens the H/A by 1^

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Yeah sounds like a good fix but the Nickel is already lower.

I could wear some of these I guess:-

IanW
    Free Member

Just bought a 2011 bike, it’s a nice colour and said “buy me” when nobody else was nearby.

tpbiker
    Free Member

i was going to suggest offset bushings. Or maybe just run it with flat tyres 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Would you buy a discontinued bike?’ is closed to new replies.