Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Would you buy a DB Alpine Mk2?
  • Frame in good condition and put a modern build on it?

Considering hardtail options to migrate some bits onto.

Or are they outdated geometry now?

Mowgli
    Free Member

If they worked in 2010, presumably they still work now? Geometry feels spot on for what it’s designed for. Only difficulty might be getting non-tapered forks, 26″ rims and it won’t take a decent dropper post. They’re not light, but very tough and a great all rounder.

I already have some X-Fusion Vengeance that can be dropped to 160/150mm and a decent set of 26″ wheels, with rear QR. That’s why I’m considering it

Mowgli
    Free Member

150mm is quite long for that frame. I have U-turn Pikes 95-140mm, and drop them for long climbs. You might find at 150mm it wanders a bit on the climbs, but it’ll be good on the downs! I guess the price is probably not much more than £120 (seems the going rate) to see how you like it. Not sure what other older steel bikes could take forks that long. Perhaps a BFe or Evil Sovereign? I don’t think either is particularly better than the Alpine.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

I had 140mm U-turn pikes on mine (thats currently for sale 😉 ) and always felt that it would be nicer with a bit more travel.

I can’t imagine climbing being much worse, it doesn’t wonder around too much at 140mm, and I never bothered dropping it down to 90mm for climbs.

nickc

god yeah, in a shot…they’re bloody great frames…

DB State 120-160mm on their website

thomthumb
    Free Member

Or are they outdated geometry now?

they’re not bang up to date with looong top tube. but they’re hardly a 90s race machine.

I’d have one, i test rode one a few years back and liked it. my mate bought one, still has it but doesn’t ride these days.

Long top tubes don’t suit me, as I have long legs/short torso. Hence people saying Capra’s are short, but mine fits me perfectly

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh, damn right. Well good frames. For general riding in the UK I’d go with about 120mm forks. If you’re sticking long forks on it, you’ll need strong wheels and dual ply tyres to really make the most of it. Mine was an absolute blast in the Alps with 150mm Marzocchis.

Short travel was best for UK stuff

Did the job as a stand in downhill bike though

Kieron
    Free Member

Definitely, absolutely loved mine until some scrote took it. Was such a fun frame to ride.

chipkorea
    Free Member

David – I didn’t know they did the Alpine in a 39er version. What’s the seat-tube 40″? My Alpine is a shit load smaller than my car, and my car’s much bigger than yours.

chipkorea
    Free Member

More seriously my Alpine is great… ran it with 130mm of travel and found it to be a pretty good all-rounder (unlike some other bikes I have owned such as my Charge Blender which point blank refused to climb), even though I am the best part of 6 ft and have a 16″ frame. (It is currently in pieces having ceased to be my go to bike a year or so back and awaiting parts to become more of a fun bike.)

eulach

I wouldn’t buy one but only because I already have one which I still enjoy riding. U-turn Lyriks ftw.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Do it Awesome frame

This was mine some years back. I had one of the only three EEB single speed one.

souldrummer
    Free Member

I was riding my Mk1 today and it’s still a lot of fun.

Did I read somewhere that, with the move to the US, Mike is selling all his stock? Might be some bargains out there?

ajantom

Well someone just bought mine 😉 great bikes, I hope I don’t regret it too much. But the Surly instigator that’s replaced it is great too.

Gary_C

I’m running 180mm ‘zocchi 66’s on mine… 😯

eulach

Did you get it then?

BruceWee

It’s my main bike and has been for six years. Mostly I run u-turn lyriks but I have put 180mm Domains on for uplift and it’s been great.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Would you buy a DB Alpine Mk2?’ is closed to new replies.