Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Would you buy a bike without testing it?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i buy everything without testing, surfboards, windsurfs, hifi, bikes, everything. i look, i might read, if it interests me i’ll buy it and then figure it out. thats half the fun for me.

julians
    Free Member

Yep, I always do.

I know what sort of characteristics I might like, so can narrow it down to a few bikes, then read reviews (both professional and end user) and can usually work out which will suit me best. Havent bought a bike I didnt like.

I also feel that you cant get a bike (certainly a full suss anyway) set up right in just one ride, so a test ride is largely pointless apart from to confirm whether the bike fits you.

aP
    Free Member

I’ve only ever tested 2 bikes – a Sunn in 1998 which confirmed that the forks were made of cheese – so I bought a Cannondale instead, and a classic Blur which was too small for me, but I bought the right size and it was fine. All my other bikes have either been on long delivery leads (ie frames measured and built for me, or just long lead times – Merlin, Intense). The Intense Spyder FRO was a frame that I never really go on with – still got it though, might have to use it sometime I suppose.
    Everything else I’ve got on with.

jonba
    Free Member

I’m on Mtb number 4 and I’ve test ridden one around the carpark. 2 came as bits and I built them myself.

I’ve owned 3 road bikes. One I sat on in the shop the other 2 I borrowed someone else’s bike from the same manufacturer (different models though) then bought without seeing them.

Cross bike and commuters, ever ridden, bought as bits.

I’d want to test ride a second hand bike just to make sure it worked!

cheekyget
    Free Member

I got my fatbike without testing it or even seeing one up close…….best bike ever!!

garage-dweller

Bought a Camber evo. Slung a leg over in the shop but didn’t turn a pedal. Lovely lovely bike.

I am an adapter. I learn to ride what I have unless it totally doesn’t fit or until I become a lot better rider or buy a bso my bike is always going to be better than me anyway.

kayla1
    Free Member

Yep, it’s only a bike and most of them are pretty good these days. I do a bit of reading about stuff but that’s about it.

carlosg
    Free Member

I’ve usually tried bikes round a car park. The only bike I tested properly on trails was courtesy of a friend who had the next model down and groupset/wheels was the only difference.
    The last bike I bought was a Boardman FS650 and only got to sling a leg over the next size up in the shop , I picked it up and before I even turned a pedal on it swapped out the shifters/mechs/bars/stem/brakes and cranks.Rode it maybe 5-6 times and it feels like a nice bike , built myself some new wheels a couple of weeks ago but haven’t got round to fitting them yet.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I’ve only bought two bikes after riding them.

One was a road bike. The other was the same as what the missus has, but in SS guise, and rigid, so pretty different in reality. I reckon at my level of crapness, there are no bad modern bikes at a certain price point as long as they fit!

I’ve even bought two without trying them on for size!

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I’ve only ever bought one on spec (Cotic Roadrat) and, coincidentally or not, it’s the one bike I’ve owned that I’ve never quite gelled with.

Took a while to come to that conclusion though, so a quick spin round the block wouldn’t necessarily have helped. I’d be hesitant to get one without a chance to ride one first now though.

eshershore
    Free Member

yes, last two bikes were bought “blind” with no test

Specialized Stumpjumper 29’er hardtail

and

Cannondale Super Six Evo road bike

read really great reviews on both bikes, and from looking at the geometry and knowing my bike fit, I knew they would both work out well.

With the 29’er I really wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

Very surprised with both bikes, in a good way.

federalski
    Free Member

My biggest hits have been spur of the moment 2nd hand purchases, I’ve had a few clangers as well but can live with losing a little bit of cash on scratching the itch.

My biggest bike buying mistake was the only time I had a wee test in a shop on a carbon GT Grade, I just never took to it all after buying it.
    Biggest success a ss Karate Monkey off here.

tomhoward

A little from column A, a little from column B really.

S/H bikes, yeah. New from a shop then it’s 50/50 (proper test rides, rather than round the car park)

5thElefant
    Free Member

Of course. Cars, motorbikes… Everything. It takes months to know if you like something.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Never tested a bike I have ever bought till the over day when I tested a Stache then ordered one.Been riding MTBs since 1988.Just make them work for me don’t think there are crap bikes out there anymore from the main brands just what suits you or your riding.

warpcow
    Free Member

Only tested one in 20-odd years, a Kona in the late-90s. Since then I’ve either gone for variations of what I’ve had, or something completely different.

neil853
    Free Member

I’m looking at a new full sus now, the last one I had was total dog poo so my views have been tainted a bit. When I’ve gone into some shops and asked for a test ride I’ve been looked at like I’m stupid. One shop said yeah no problem, that’ll be April…….

nathanf
    Free Member

I bought my Solaris without a test ride but I did plenty of research and knew exactly what I wanted in terms of geometry and spec.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Test!?

Spent that long gagging for it to turn up and taking it. I can always sell or give it away if i don’t like it.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’m sure even if people did test ride bikes, they wouldn’t say so on here. Far too embarrassing to admit.

I haven’t even bought a fully assembled bike since I was fifteen!!!

I’m now eighteen and a half.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Last time I was able to test ride was as a student buying a cheap “MTB” hack bike, and that was (mumble) decades ago. All my decent bikes have been mail order or custom built in some way. I’ve never seen any of them in bike shops, and wouldn’t expect to.

Lummox

I have to as very few demo bikes come in xl.

Last bling buy was a transition patrol, glad to say it was a justified purchase.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Only tried one all the rest bought on spec and liking the looks and geometry.

RickDraper
    Free Member

Never test ride any of the bikes I have bought. That goes from a Cotic Soul to a Colnago C60. Just kind of get a idea what geometry is right for you. Apart from having owned a new Mondraker Dune XR and now the others feel kind of wrong lol.

edhornby

I never have, I can’t see that a carpark spin would achieve much and I’ve never splurged enough to warrant a full-on lend or demo day….

it’s just a bike FFS

stewartc
    Free Member

Lucky to be of average height (175cm) so tend to be able to get the frame sizing right, also, where I live there are few chances to test ride bikes prior to buying.
    Only ever sold a bike quickly after buying blind, and that was when the LBS insisted that it should be the size to go for.

relliott6879
    Free Member

Save for sitting on them to make sure they were the right size, I don’t think I’ve tested any of my bikes before purchase.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No, these days bikes cost too much to get it wrong
    Firstly size, I seem to be borderline in the traditional Med/Large sizes so I need to know if the cockpit can be made to fit without stupid stems or layback posts.
    Last bike I got was an XC 29r so I really wanted to know if I got on with it, I did a 4 day demo on it and bought it when I got back.

Suspension etc. generally a ride witha shock pump helps to get an idea if it works or if the shock/fork will need replaced/work if you get your head round the frame.

Personally bikes that have good backup have good demo’s available, it’s the sort of thing that I like to have, but then again I’m one of those freaks that still shops in bike shops.

rickon
    Free Member

YT and Canyon’s direct sale model relies entirely on people not trying bikes. I reckon in the next 5 years, you’ll see more direct sales, and probably more online tools like Canyon provide for finding the right geometry for you.

If you’re confident enough in what you like in a bike its pretty easy to get it right, and what seals it for me is long term reviews – not day 1 reviews where everyone thinks their new bike is amaze.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Always. First proper (and only new) bike was mail order.

Since then, it’s always been second hand. Never got one I didn’t love. Never got one that was perfect either…

I live in a strictly n=1*people house so currently anguishing over getting rid of a 170mm Norco FS for a Bfe.

Wally

In the dark is the very best way, you concentrate on the feel and not “oh shiny bits”

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’ve probably had 35 – 40 bikes over my lifetime and I haven’t test ridden one of them. The only one that I didn’t really get on with was a Trek Liquid.

Once you get to know roughly what fits, what geometry you like and can siphon the tosh from the genuine review comments, then getting a test ride never concerns me.

mcnultycop

I’ve only test ridden two, the Trek 4500 that got me losing weight and back on the bike and the last one, my Arkose 4.

Scandal, Canyon Nerve Am and Felt Roadie all bought online.

thomasgeorge
    Free Member

I used to try and have a go on a demo at the local specialized dealer, but living in the Isle of Man, not much choice of other demos. Current bikes all bought on reviews and hearsay are intense carbine 29, YT Capra, and latest, a Kingdom Vendetta,

somafunk

Yep, bought all my bikes over the years without a test ride, including my most recent purchase back in September, but it won’t be here till late january so i’ll have to be patient – going by the online reviews i’ve read it appears to be pretty decent 😀

This Scott E-Genuis 710 Plus

mmannerr

Last three were bought online without ever seeing one live… But all these were 26″ bikes, newest is 5 years old and today the selection is so much wider these days that I have to test ride next bike to get it right.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Bought my Whyte T-130 Works blind and ordered it before they were officially announced – had been chatting to my LBS guy who had seen them pre-launch and ordered as many as Whyte would let and pre-sold them all! He’s always on the mark so as i trust him, many years of knowing him, I went for it. Very happy as the bike is fantastic!

Euro
    Free Member

I pedalled my first FS bike around the shop car park. I felt crap and I hated it but bought it anyway (got used to it and loved it). I also rode my dirt jump bike outside a different shop. I sprinted, manualled, bunnyhopped and skidded to a stop then bought it. Not really testing or a test ride. All other bikes have been bought blind and they’ve all been great.

fasthaggis

I only test ride bikes that I can’t afford ,but pretend that I want to buy #tyrekicker 😉

dogmatix

Buy second hand so never test, I do read reviews though. Not perfect but it helps not to by a dud.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Would you buy a bike without testing it?’ is closed to new replies.