Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Would you buy a bike with this fault?
  • globalti
    Free Member

TNT damaged this fork dropout and now I’m having a complete nightmare sourcing a replacement fork because I’m not prepared to sell a bike with a dropout that has been straightened and therefore bent, twice. Bending aluminium work-hardens it and I reckon the dropout would be weakened and liable to snap under repeated stresses from road shock.

Am I making a rod for my own back? Would you ride a bike with a straightened dropout? Should I just advertise it as such and let the buyer decide? How about if I just fitted an aftermarket carbon fork, either in black or sprayed the same red?

scaled
    Free Member

1) claim from TNT for the damage

if not 1 then can you not get a skewer through there and treat it more like an axle than a QR?

soma_rich
    Free Member

No, I would be buying a new fork.

globalti
    Free Member

Thanks.

1 – I Ebayed it and the buyer’s idiot wife signed for it in “good condition” despite the obvious damage to the box so initially TNT refused to pay out. In the end after some discussion they compensated me £195, which is what they would have paid (£15 a kilo x 13 kilos) under RHA rules had she signed for it as damaged. Not wanting a big battle with the buyer who was hopping mad, and with Ebay and Paypal being heavily weighted in favour of the buyer I refunded him and took the bike back. Stupid perhaps but I couldn’t face the stress.

2 – I’ve already straightened the dropout so as to test ride the bike.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I would ride that. Even if it snapped off where it is bent the weight is transferred into the fork at the top and the pressure of the clamp should hold the wheel on if it gets air borne. It’s not ideal but I don’t think it is going to fail in a manner that would render you dead.

cp

That’s taken a hefty wack!

New fork IMO. FWIW Easton EC70 are v.nice riding – stiff & precise steering and comfortable.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=49710

10% extra off too 🙂

hunta

So you’re £195 up at the moment, correct? How much for a new fork?

globalti
    Free Member

No, I have already paid £150 to Atlantic Boulevard in Bury for a superb repair to the damaged paintwork on the downtube and £21 for a new derailleur hanger.

spxxky
    Free Member

Agree with uwe-r, there shouldn’t be that much stress on the bent point

globalti
    Free Member

The only way I would sell it would be with a full disclaimer that IMO the fork needs replacing and the buyer rides at his own risk. Would that be acceptable?

stumpy01

I had the same problem with a brand new bike courier to my place of work. At some point it had been dropped on the fork & it had bent in a similar manner. Took me a few mins to work out why I couldn’t get the front wheel in!
    The plastic brace had been pretty much destroyed in the impact. No way I felt happy with it, so it went back.

hora
    Free Member

Sorry I wouldn’t ride that.

globalti
    Free Member

I’m about to be locked out of STW for the rest of the afternoon by the office server but thanks for the suggestions…. keep ’em coming…. I’ll be back at tea time.

TimothyD
    Free Member

I’d not ride it I think, it’d be in the back of my mind when I was riding.

bellerophon
    Free Member

I think if the disclaimer and description made it blatantly obvious AND the asking price reflected this, then I’d consider buying it with a view to replacing the fork if I were in the market.

smell_it
    Free Member

I think it’s fair to sell like that if you are honest about it. That way buyer decides. If it was my bike for riding, i would swap the fork. 40+mph, bumpy roads and a suspect fork, no thanks. I’ve already spent £6k in dental work following a high spend road off. The rest of the facial surgery was on the NHS.

Joe

It will likely be fine. It’s not stress/weight bearing.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

the clamp should hold the wheel on if it gets air borne

I wouldnt ride that. Use of the qualifier should is key there. Why would anyone take the risk?

Did you use some of these when you packed it up?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d ride it, not sell other than ebay it with a full description, but agree with CTM – the bend could hav been avoided?

hunta

hunta – Member
    So you’re £195 up at the moment, correct? How much for a new fork?

globalti – Member
    No, I have already paid £150 to Atlantic Boulevard in Bury for a superb repair to the damaged paintwork on the downtube and £21 for a new derailleur hanger.

So get litigious on their TNT asses, terms and conditions or no. They’ve already admitted liability by paying out even though a signature to the contrary was provided – a massive victory. It’s as morally reprehensible for them to damage property in transit as it would be for you knowingly to sell damaged goods (not that we’re talking about the latter as an option).

JCL
    Free Member

It’s a road bike isn’t it? People have won DH races with QR forks in the past… That will never ever break on the road. Never.

grum
    Free Member

TBH I’d be more concerned abou what might happen if you remove the label. Seems very serious. 🙂

float
    Free Member

does it have a visible crack in it?

id probably still ride it anyway.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I’d ride that, no problems.
    (hasn’t this been on here before? or just a case of deja vu??)

bikebob

Amazed how many would be happy to ride it. Personally not me.
    Problem is, if you can get an axle / qr through it will probably have some strength. If you have to bend it back, you will stress the alu too much it would be completely shagged. Do not ride it at all if you need to bend it back.
    Why not get a price for a replacement and claim the difference from the 150 against TNT. As has been stated they have admitted liability. The money you’ve spent already, paint job etc. Is not TNTs liability.

t-p26
    Free Member

Have it stolen…..

TheFopster
    Free Member

Agree bending it again is not best solution. Personally I’d get a file out then ride it happily. Just my opinion – I tend not to be so cautious on this sort of stuff though will probably end up squashed in a horrific bodged QR repair accident one day…

ScottChegg
    Free Member

…the buyer who was hopping mad…

Signed in good nick by his missus. It’s a domestic dispute; I’d have told him to jam it.

How do you know TNT did the damage? If it was signed as received in good order that’s the end of it; you’ve been a bit of a pushover.

Get a new fork, and stop worrying about it. It’s too late now.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Would you buy a bike with this fault?’ is closed to new replies.