• This topic has 25 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by nuke.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Would you be happy with this tyre?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

As above – bought on here, seller silent after 2 weeks and 3 emails (inc this video).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7693620@N05/11130139724/in/photostream/

(it was seated perfectly BTW).

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

is it a conti tyre?

lank45
    Free Member

Bought tyres from shops which have been like that, have you tried pulling the kink out by flexing the tyre in the rim with no air in the tube?

twoniner
    Free Member

I have a mountain king that’s like that, all be it not as bad as that. Mines sat on the rim properly too. I also bought mine off here.

cynic-al
    Free Member

lank45 – Member
    Bought tyres from shops which have been like that, have you tried pulling the kink out by flexing the tyre in the rim with no air in the tube?

NO, how?

soobalias
    Free Member

cable tie looks a bit sharp

stanleigh
    Free Member

I’ve done this as well , your tyre is not correctly seated. No worries you can ride it . To re- seat the bead , deflate & liberally add soapy water between the rim & tyre. Pump up to the max pressure ( usually around 50 psi ) & you’ll hear it pop as it sets it’s self in place. Then reduce to your normal ride pressure . Your ready to go.

scotroutes

Try fitting a block of wood with some sandpaper between the tyre and the chainstay and then spin the wheel until the kink has gone.

HTH

bencooper
    Free Member

Any tears or dodgy-looking bits in the sidewall? If not, I’d say it’s the seating – sometimes the bead can hang up and not seat properly.

bigjim

I’ve had a Kenda that is as bad as that from new, never caused me any problems but its a bit frustrating. New baron I bought last week does it too but not quite that bad. Never had it bad with maxxis or specialized.

cynic-al
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    (it was seated perfectly BTW).

As a 10+ year tubeless user, I know how to seat tyres! It’s definitely a tyre flaw – not visible tears/bubbles etc.

So, do you think I have a valid complaint?

tony07
    Free Member

Happened me with high rollers in the past, definitely not from seating them wrong.

Only thing on the sellers behalf is it might have been in storage before the sale and may not have known about it?

breadcrumb

I had a Conti MK II that ended up similar. I hopped of a kerb landed a bit squiffy and deformed the tyre. Far from the worst landing I’ve ever done.

I certainly wouldn’t sell it.

winch
    Free Member

I have a new hans damp just the same. It is a tyre defect, I tried every trick to get it to seat differently.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9QcxAzXEO4[/video]

Certainly wouldn’t sell it on.

bencooper
    Free Member

As a 10+ year tubeless user, I know how to seat tyres!

Fair enough 😉

The few times I’ve seen tyres do that, there’s usually a section where you can see the canvas tearing or deforming, which is why I asked.

PiknMix
    Free Member

The Maxxis Ignitors I got from here is like that, I have been riding it (as I can’t afford to replace it, hence buying second hand tyres in the first place) with no problems.

Do you have a case? If it effects your ride then yes. To be fair though second hand tyres (especially UST) are a right lottery.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s not a UST, car park suggests the effect on riding is not huge, but I was wanting to sell it on, and I doubt it’s worth what I paid for it if selling candidly.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Looks dodgy to me, not half as dodgy as this twit with the tash though! 😉

chip
    Free Member

I have a conti travel contact like that from new.
    The tyre also has a very slight bulge In the sidewall that would almost be invisible to naked eye if it was not directly behind large writing making the lettering distort just enough to be visible .

Tyre used to be in the front but watching it wobble from side to side annoyed me so stuck it on the back and forget about it.

househusband

I’ve had tyres do that, even brand new ones, so I’m with cynic-al on this – it can be more than just a tubeless seating issue.

lank45
    Free Member

lank45 – Member

NO, how?

Mine was not on a tubeless set up, but I sorted it by deflating the tyre and simply flexing the tyre over the rim where there was a kink to bring it back in line. The tyre I had was so bad you could see the kinks even with no air in the tyre but they had quite thick sidewalls.

Junkyard
    Free Member

had tyres that do that and not happy and not sold on

grum
    Free Member

If it’s made by continental I’d definitely not be happy with it.

p7rich
    Free Member

i had a Conti RQ 2.4 that was like that from new. Maybe not quite so severe though?

tinribz
    Free Member

You can put video on Flickr?!

Just get the spoke key out.

Also, white pedals?

nuke

Aside from potentially rubbing the stays, why is it an issue? 😕 I make sure my tyres are seated correctly but I can’t say I’ve ever really cared about a tyre being ‘true’ or not

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Would you be happy with this tyre?’ is closed to new replies.