• This topic has 47 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by P-Jay.
Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Would you avoid a bike with a PF BB?
  • BoardinBob

Not one I can think of. Only possible thing is easier to remove if seized or sticking (albeit with new tools) as you’re dunting it with a big hammer rather than potentially chewing up threads etc with a tool

kimbers

the sram one on my Process lasted < a year, but the xtr one i replaced it with has been absolutely fine for another 2 years and its done 1000s of km in some horrendous weather, im a chunky fellah and its been ridden alps, scotland, wales and through the swinley grinding paste too

dannyh
    Free Member

Pressfit BBs are a not very good solution looking for a non-existent problem. I also firmly believe that in their quest for inbuilt obsolescence, the manufacturers actually made a conscious backward step with this one.

If ever anything shouted ‘this needs to use a thread’, then it is bottom brackets.

Press-fit and ‘interference-fit’ are just alternative terms for ‘ramming in’.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

So are the Hope/Praxis options simply an upgrade or do they allow an easier bearing change?

They look like they will still require a kinetic energy transfer device of some kind?

Northwind

I’d still rather avoid it tbh but if the bike’s right that’s more important I think. They are shit though (and annoyingly scattergun on standards- I broke a crank at Flyup on day one of a holiday and basically just had to buy whatever I could find at whatever price I was charged because nobody else had anything that’d fit. Bloomin annoying that, I got home and replaced it with my ancient XTRs that have been in about 8 different bikes

tomd
    Free Member

My Trek full Sus has a Shimano Press fit. It’s been pretty good all in, replaced twice in 4 years of regular use. It seems to outlast the external one on my hardtail. The full sus tends do more miles and in worse conditions. I’m not wedded to either but it wouldn’t be my deciding factor on any bike.

dovebiker

There are different pressfit standards so saying all are cr@p is a bit meaningless. Shimano only make a PF41/BB92 design whereas others like BB30/PF30 are commonly used by others. The one to avoid is BB30 or anything that relies on a metal-to-metal of bearing to shell. I have 2 bikes with PF41 and both have been creak-free.

P-Jay
    Free Member

No, I was surprised to find I had one on a bike I had once, it was a pita the one time I needed to change it, but otherwise it was a bit of a non-issue, but if it was the only deciding factor on two bikes, I’d take the threaded one every time.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Would you avoid a bike with a PF BB?’ is closed to new replies.