Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Would you?
  • welshfarmer

After all, it is only 18 moves long 🙂

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itIRdx1pJ2I[/video]

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I struggle to climb step ladders so no not a chance.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Ah, I’m a bit busy…

benji
    Free Member

No, I don’t mind heights, but I get a strange inner thought of what would it be like to jump from here, you know it would end badly, but it doesn’t banish the thoughts. Never tried climbing, done a little bit of abseiling.

allthepies
    Free Member

Noooo way.

Yosemite looks stunning !

dknwhy

Amazing scenery and a great achievement but why would you risk your life on something like that?

hairybiker84
    Free Member

Why not – if you can climb to that level! I’ve done some low grade lead climbing where the gear is probably more psychological than practical and a lot of un-roped scrambling where a slip (or a hold detaching) would definitely be fatal. If he didn’t think he could make it I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t solo it.
    You can die crossing the road but it’s not half as much fun 😆

lemonysam
    Free Member

Amazing scenery and a great achievement but why would you risk your life on something like that?

Because soloing and poorly protected climbing in general, even at my embarrassingly lowly level is one of the most intense and lasting sensations I’ve ever felt and people will seek out experiences like that. This isn’t something that he’s done on the spur of the moment, it’s a combination of everything he’s climbed before and the range of skills, experience and knowledge that climbing has given him.

By the by Heaven is, by Honnold’s incredible standards, not a difficult route and is “safe” for soloing, it doesn’t feature dynamic moves or snappy holds or any of the things which go beyond the technical and physical risks involved in climbing. It may be 3000ft up but it wouldn’t be any less dangerous if it were 100ft off the deck, you’re still not walking away if you’ve miscalculated.

leffeboy

I love the level of mind control he must have to exude that much calm.

Oh, and nafc

Junkyard
    Free Member

perhaps if i had the skill

cloudnine
    Free Member

It’s a bit slow.. Can’t he climb any quicker?

mintimperial

Cor.

Drac

Yosemite looks stunning !

Be even better on the new full Retina displays.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Serious lack of dopamine receptors in their brains! Hat off though, I don’t do heights unless its a necessity.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

I get a strange inner thought of what would it be like to jump from here …

L’appel du vide
    Wow! I love heights but you’d have to be pretty at peace with life, the universe and everything to do that and alas I’m not. But wow!

fergal
    Free Member

Well at the right time and place, I have and would. It is a calculated risk, if you think you will fall, you don’t solo, Honnold is not soloing at his limit and is very much in control, the feeling of moving well, over difficult ground, is hard to beat.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

…hold my beer.

footflaps

It’s a bit slow.. Can’t he climb any quicker?

I quite like his style, very considered.

j4mie
    Free Member

B******s to that. Do fancy giving an indoor climbing wall a go, but as I have no upper body strength think I’d probably struggle a lot.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

No way and the same as benji every time I get close to a drop my brain goes wonder what that would be like.

lemonysam
    Free Member

as I have no upper body strength think I’d probably struggle a lot.

What you’re probably thinking of as upper body strength and the strength that you need to be a good climber are almost certainly not the same thing. Give it a go, you’ll probably be surprised.

ElShalimo

Look on the web for other crazy free solo climbs Honnold has done.
    He’s mind blowingly awesome at what he does

sweaman2
    Free Member

For those wondering – Heaven is a 5.12d so roughly equivalent to E6 6c in UK terms. So he’s making something that is actually fairly tricky and beyond the realm of most climbers look effortless.

ElShalimo

That overhang is ridiculous too
    Superb technique and strength

Edric64
    Free Member

Bloody hell E1 outside or 6A on a wall was my limit with a rope !

rascal
    Free Member

😯

nedrapier

roughly equivalent to E6 6c in UK terms

And would probably have something like “pleasant route with an airy top-out” in the guidebook.

mark90
    Free Member

Based on his ability that’s probably equivalent to me soloing Brown Slabs at Shepherds. Did that aged 15, wouldn’t do it now. Although that was probably more down to recklessness of youth than supreme control and confidence in ones ability.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Apparently it’s a control and focus thing that motivates these people. I can understand that.

fergal
    Free Member

He makes it look effortless, because he pre practiced the route first, this is not to say his onsight skills are lacking, such as his nonchalant onsight solo of the sustained peg scared finger crack of London wall, E5 6a in the peak district, his cajones are so big, it’s amazing he gets off the ground.

brakes
    Free Member

he makes something epically bum-puckering sound inimitably dull

solarpowered
    Free Member

I want to know how the chalky hand prints got on to the BACK of his t-shirt!?!?! Are they from one of the 18 moves ? 😯

tinybits
    Free Member

I like the delivery, it’s like a lunatics, utterly calm as if day to day life bores them.
    I could climb a 6c a couple of years ago, roped in inside. Sod doing that!

jonba
    Free Member

Really liked that. I have never really done much climbing so probably wouldn’t be a good idea to launch straight into that.

I can see where he’s coming from. I’ve done a few different “risky” sports over the years and there is a certain sense of calm focus that comes from only relying on yourself and your own abilities. It is a very calculated risk.

Cougar

Would I climb it? Get out of my way.

Would I freeclimb it? Not while I’ve got a hole in my arse.

Beautifully shot video featuring a climber I’ve not heard of before. He climbs like a girl (which is an ultimate compliment) and I could watch him all day.

Thank you, sincerely, for posting. That was lovely.

cultsdave
    Free Member

Tinybits- th 6c you refer to is different to the e6 6c mentioned above. That route he solos is prob around 7b+ to 7c+ sport grade wise. Pretty much impossible to compare to an indoor route though.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

hmmmmm

busydog
    Free Member

hmmmmm

Must be a preview of the 2015 Redbull Rampage course start point 😯

slowoldman

It’s only 40ft of 6c. But… you’re not going to land on a crash mat if you come off. I’ve soloed stuff in the past that was well within my technical (and psychological) limit. What always stuns me about the guys at the top is how close to their limit they are capable of going without a rope. Still, that’s what makes them great and me crap.

igm

I did Yosemite with a 1930s Zeiss Ikon 120 roll film. That’s my limit.

I’m glad humans can do that sort of thing; in some ways it’s what the species is about (what’s possible?). I’m also glad it’s him, not me.

Seriously beautiful place by the way. If you have the chance, go there. And Bryce, and Zion, and Grand, and Mesa Verde.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Would you?’ is closed to new replies.