Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Would waiting to sell my 26er be a mistake ?
  • downthemiddle
    Free Member

I have a 26er 2010 specialized epic that I have decided to sell. However I cant afford a new bike even after the sale at the moment so am looking at finishing this year on it and selling it at the end. Trouble is with the tide of change going towards 29er and other wheel sizes am I going to find that my 26er epic is something utterly undesired and worthless in a sale if I hang on ? Its a dilemma

Mintman
    Free Member

Trouble is with the tide of change going towards 29er and other wheel sizes

Not sure that there’s actually a tide, I’m sure in a few months 26ers will be as sought after as they are today.

ruscle
    Free Member

I would think that their would be more demand for 26ers at all times in the future over 29ers, its just that 29er owners seemed to shout about their bikes more than the rest. I’m sure that sale percentages would back up my claims if some one has any!!?

thepurist

Step away from the internet and the bike mags, walk into Halfrauds or your LBS, have a look at how many 29rs are for sale vs. how many 26ers then RELAX.

Or maybe there’s no 29ers in there because they’ve already been bought and they can’t shift the 26ers… PANIC!!!

It’d be even worse if was a 9 speed 26er, soon you won’t be able to give that away… 😉

clubber
    Free Member

It’s a magazine perception. We’re well away from 29ers being the only choice people will go for.

br
    Free Member

So you’re thinking of selling now and then not riding for the rest of the year vs selling later in the year and probably losing £50?

downthemiddle
    Free Member

It’d be even worse if was a 9 speed 26er, soon you won’t be able to give that away…

Oh nuts….. 🙂

So you’re thinking of selling now and then not riding for the rest of the year vs selling later in the year and probably losing £50?

Na, I will ride I have a 150mm bike for trail riding, I only have the epic for marathon racing and xc so its not a big deal.
    I concur exactly that there is still loads of 26ers for sale at bike shops I guess thats because market forces suggest you cant be to specific in what you sell, however for racing and marathons on then there is a much bigger shift to 29ers surely ?

Rickos
    Free Member

If you believe the hype, I’ll soon be the only person over 5 foot 4 riding a 26 inch wheeled mountain bike.

wrecker
    Free Member

Don’t believe the hype. 650B is taking over from 29″ next year anyway.
    If you wait, the 2nd hand market will be saturated with 29ers.

binners

How many 29ers in the magazines? Effing loads

How many on the trails? The odd one or two

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Trouble is with the tide of change going towards 29er and other wheel sizes am I going to find that my 26er epic is something utterly undesired and worthless in a sale if I hang on

Your bike is more likely to become undesired because its old rather than its wheel size.

The next few years will see people change from 26″ to 29″ and also people change back from 29″, Its just a choice like Full sus or hardtail

benslow
    Free Member

Forget the bikes future value, you won’t be able to buy 26″ tyres soon so it’ll be useless …..

downthemiddle
    Free Member

Don’t believe the hype

Fortunately I dont believe the hype. I dont think the hype is coming from magazines etc, in fact I think the MBR’s etc of the world were the biggest criticisers of the whole thing. I actually took a completely impartial view of the whole thing, and unlike a lot of people I didnt make my mind up before I tried and tried properly the 29er. So for me its not hype its a genuine belief that I could be faster, safer and less fatigued over a long distance event on a wagon wheeler.

Trimix
    Free Member

Your not in the US.

Just ride your bike and enjoy it.

When you want a new bike, sell it and buy a new bike. Not that hard.

(Next you will be asking how long we have till we all have to go 11 speed.)

uwe-r
    Free Member

Marathon / xc race is definitely a scene where 29ers are taking over so there is some truth to the argument although that is a small percentage of the potential buyers out there.

What is more important is the time of year. Sell it at Easter when everyone gets out there old bikes thinks there crap and has a look on Ebay as opposed to the end of the summer when most people are going back into hibernation and planning what Christmas presents to buy.

I always try and buy bikes in the winter and sell them at Easter / summer half term

downthemiddle
    Free Member

As its 2 weeks till Easter, anyone want to buy a mint epic 😉

BadlyWiredDog

As its 2 weeks till Easter, anyone want to buy a mint epic

Just seen this – is it a 29er, if so the answer is yes, drop me a line urgently.

downthemiddle
    Free Member

is it a 29er, if so the answer is yes, drop me a line urgently.

😆 Actually its a 2013 650B model

I really love STW forums, proper old school sarcasm, you dont get that on Bikeradar !

PrinceJohn

As an epic 26er I think you’ll be fine selling it later as Specialized no longer produce it in this flavour.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

*giggles at BWD*

😆

scruff
    Free Member

2013 will all the about 29erfront wheel, 650b rear.

2014 will all the about 650b front & rear.

2015 will all the about Gary Fisher reinventing handlebar sweep.

etc.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Would waiting to sell my 26er be a mistake ?’ is closed to new replies.