Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Would this work? (Stoopid question content)
  • chugg08

Stripped down my C456 and used most of the parts elsewhere and now looking for another project…

If I put a 29er fork and 29″ wheel on the front of the C456 (100mm fork should be fine) and ran a 26″ wheel on the back, would I get the benefits of both with minimal downside (and cost)?

Or would it just be stoopid?

bencooper
    Free Member

Beast from the East 🙂

Steering might be interesting…

chugg08

Would it impact steering all that much? I’d assume the front would be as per a 29er and the back would just follow? A bit like ye olde Penny Farthings… 😆

tinsy
    Free Member

If you delve hard enough into the 456 archives, they actually sent a 456 similar to that to a mag for testing.

Was only a steel option then, but it got rave reviews.

Ring On One, sure they can advise you.

woody2000

I reckon that’d work just fine, seen a few steel 456 69ers, so must work ok. Go for it, can’t make it any uglier anyway 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

What fork length does it normally take? If you’re fitting shorter travel then I guess it wouldn’t alter the head angle much.

teamslug
    Free Member

Think maverick did it once called it a 69er…could be wrong

wwaswas

been done with a number of steel 456’s which have the same numbers I think? as long as a-c is <= a sagged 150mm fork it shoudl be ok.

chugg08

Cool, just found some archived threads on the subject. I’ll give it a shot…what could go wrong

jonba
    Free Member

69ers where all the rage at one point (fnarr!)

Trek even did one.

I run by 456 with a 29er rigid fork but a 26″ wheel and it is a really good match. A 29er wheel would make it a bit taller at the front but not much. Compare the Crown to floor height with some 6″ travel forks and a 26″ wheel. I think it might be a bit high with suspension.

There is then also the added factor of having two sizes of wheel on the same bie if you carry tubes…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Would this work? (Stoopid question content)’ is closed to new replies.