Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Would this Cairngorm ride be a good idea?
  • stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

OK this is what I’m thinking of doing if the good weather stays.
    Ride up Ben Macdui from ski centre, descend to Loch Etchachan. Ride up Coire Etchachan. Head north along Lairag an Loigh. Round eastern side of Bynack More descend to Bynack Stable. Then back via Glenmore Lodge or Meall a Bhuchaille.
    How rideable would that all be? Are there any bits I’m missing? Any good alternatives?

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

A good route. Some parts are a definite carry on the uphills. I remember thinking that the Lairig an Laoigh is 90% rideable, 10% push, but whenever I’m actually doing it it seems to be the other way around…

This ride rattled my cassette loose once. Good luck.

Wasn’t this featured in ST mag a few years ago?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Might have been, need to re-read it.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Sounds proper awesome. Good luck.

what_tyres
    Free Member

Done this.

It’s fantastic with a few character building bits. All good until the carry up to Macdui. The descent to Loch Etchachan and on past the Hutchison is awesome and the L a L has its moments but is a childbirth kind of trail (the brain forgets the pain). Up and over the shoulder of Bynack More is bigger than it looks on the map and you’ll want to head straight for a pint of spindrift at the Lodge – Meall a Buchaille is another day’s adventure.

With the dry trails right now you’ll have a blast.

missinglink
    Free Member

There’s still a fair bit of snow on path from the top of the goats track towards Macdui on the section behind the corries but after that its seems clear across to Macdui its self.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Which is the best path to get up Ben Macdui? I was thinking the most westerly.

EdwardH

I’ve been looking at this rout for a couple of years now, I just dont seem to be able to persuade any of my mates to go and give it a try.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Would this Cairngorm ride be a good idea?’ is closed to new replies.