Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Would this be acceptable to you?
  • dooosuk
    Free Member

At the weekend I took delivery of a wardrobe, 2 sets of drawers and 2 bedside tables. This is oak furniture which we bought in-store and paid a total of £1600 after receiving a 12% discount (the discount just reduced their in-store prices to their online prices). It is not a mainstream chain, just a single shop.

On unpacking the items I noticed the following small defects and reported these straight away:

1) Two small dents on leading edge on wardrobe top valance (about 3mm length)
    2) 3 drawers & one piece of wood on the main body of the chest of drawers have what look like saw snags on a corner of the leading faces. Again, these are small, about 3mm missing.
    3) Drawer on wardrobe won’t close and needs shaving on the bottom edge probably. I can live with this solution, it is solid wood afterall.

But a guy from the shop has come out today and has said that they won’t replace or partial refund due to issue 1) and 2). He has filled these marks despite my wife telling him she wasn’t happy and apparently the filled colour is different to the oak colour of the wood. I’m yet to see the ‘fix’ but would you be happy with them filling in the marks in this fashion?

To me it’s akin to buying a new car with filler in the bodywork…if you knew about it you wouldn’t accept it. But am I being unreasonable? So far his stance to my wife has been a firm, this is the only solution. If he doesn’t relax this, can I dispute the transaction with the credit card company as this seems to me to be my only other course of action.

somouk
    Free Member

Would really need pics to put it into context, I’d wait until you’ve seen the finished fixes with the dried filler as well.

dknwhy

If you’re not happy, send them back. You bought new so I’d expect them to look new. Just stay polite as these things happen.
    Used to own a furniture business and we had the odd issue but it was mainly be things damaged in transit in which case we’d replace with new or offer a discount if they were happy to keep them (10% or so).

dooosuk
    Free Member

Cheers…not that easy to send back though. The chests and bedsides came pre built, are heavy and won’t go in my estate.

The packing was very good, issue 2 looks like saw snags from the cut during manufacture.

Cougar

You’ve bought new, you’ve every right to demand perfect goods. The shop have to make good without undue inconvenience to yourself. Tell them to come and get them.

ninfan
    Free Member

I think there would be a huge difference between ‘wax crayoned’ and ‘properly filled’ – as much as there would be between a garage using a touch up stick or a proper job.

We had a proper french polisher come out to do my dads sofa years ago after it was damaged and you honestly couldn’t spot the repair.

andyrm
    Free Member

I’d expect them to either do a non-visible repair or replace.

BUT – above all else, be polite, don’t be one of those d*ckhead customers who goes shouting DSR, I know my rights etc etc. Be nice and you’ll likely get a much better outcome.

dooosuk
    Free Member

DSR doesn’t come into it. We visited the shop and bought instore. We paid delivery and for someone to erect the wardrobe.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

A bit of filler isn’t going to do it. What a shoddy way to deal with a problem.

A French polisher would fix it invisibly which I’d accept, along with a discount, were I in your position. Anything other than that, tell them to come and get it.

nosherduke996
    Free Member

They are clearly taking the piss!! Ask for your money back and go elsewhere.

LHS
    Free Member

Did you buy from codybrannan?

dooosuk
    Free Member

So it turns out the chap that came out today is probably the shop owner. His repairs have made the defects worse imo

dooosuk
    Free Member

Looks like I’m going to have to bring up my statutory rights under the Sales of Goods act…but I get the impression he’s not going to like it. He has said following the repair he’ll get us 2 new drawers but that still leaves issues with 1 drawer, part of the frame of the main chest of drawers and the top lip of the wardrobe 🙁

McHamish
    Free Member

To me, that repair looks awful.

If he had arranged for a professional to come and repair it, then fair enough. But I think I could do a better job than that, and I’ve never repaired furniture before.

BigDummy
    Free Member

If you’re anything like me, you’d never actually notice the defects after a week, but just be vaguely irritated at the wardrobe every time you saw it, for ever.

Your only real options are:

(a) make them take it away and give you your money back; or if they won’t
    (b) smash it apart with an axe, then burn the pieces.

😐

dooosuk
    Free Member

It does to me…so I’ll be looking for a full replacement or a full refund.

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

That’s as shonky as shonky gets in shonkyville

Refund only -go elsewhere as I wouldn’t trust his ethics after that “repair”
    What was he thinking is he Dave Hindes brother ?

onandon
    Free Member

That’s terrible work. I hope it’s gets sorted.

tinybits
    Free Member

That’s crap work. I’d shoot one of my guys if it looked like that!
    Tell them to do one and come and collect as that’s not a fit repair. However, be prepared to take to small claims court if they won’t sort. Above all else, keep polite and keep smiling, you’ll get a lot better response.

unovolo
    Free Member

That’s just bog standard soft wax, takes about 30seconds to apply.

I used to do S.M.A.R.T repairs for this company
    http://www.plastic-surgeon.co.uk/

And this was exactly the kind of stuff we used to repair albeit to a much higher standard.

A good engineer would be able to get a almost invisible repair , a decent French polisher should be able to also.

The company has 2 options either replace the items or get a decent company in to effect a invisible repair.

project
    Free Member

At the weekend I took delivery of a wardrobe, 2 sets of drawers and 2 bedside tables. This is oak furniture which we bought in-store and paid a total of £1600 after receiving a 12% discount (the discount just reduced their in-store prices to their online prices). It is not a mainstream chain, just a single shop.

On unpacking the items I noticed the following small defects and reported these straight away:

1) Two small dents on leading edge on wardrobe top valance (about 3mm length)
    2) 3 drawers & one piece of wood on the main body of the chest of drawers have what look like saw snags on a corner of the leading faces. Again, these are small, about 3mm missing.
    3) Drawer on wardrobe won’t close and needs shaving on the bottom edge probably. I can live with this solution, it is solid wood afterall.

Sounds like a customer who realises he has paid to much for chineese imported oak and want the money back, and the company doesnt want to give it back,or cant afford to.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Did he repair that with a candle and a brown felt tip?
    Did you pay a credit card? You ordered NEW stuff not chipped/dinged up badly repaired furniture. Only accept new perfect replacements or ask for your money back.

jp-t853

Send an email with photo’s stating that you need a replacement as that looks awful. If you paid by credit card inform them also of your action. If you are lucky the vendor will do nothing and the credit card company may refund you. I got a free barcelona chair once.

dooosuk
    Free Member

I’m happy with what we paid. This furniture matches a bed we bought a year ago. I gave the price for context that it wasn’t cheap ikea furniture (which ironically probably would be better quality).

Receiving undamaged goods or invisible repairs would be great. I asked for thoughts as he thinks it’s acceptable and the wife and I (and most on this thread) don’t.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Would this be acceptable to you?’ is closed to new replies.