Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Would superglue be shite for sticking cable guides to a raw frame?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

These guides to a raw alu frame, or what glue would be the most permanent?

wwaswas

any of the two part ones epoxy ones.

or just those double sided sticky foam pads, tbh.

simondbarnes

Yes. Very, very shit. Use zip ties.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Simon – zip ties will look shite, the sticky foam pads aren’t so good after getting wet!!

wwaswas
    stevied
    Free Member

is someone trying to route a dropper hose? 2 part epoxy, as stated above, is probably tour best bet..

jonba
    Free Member

Zip ties would be my answer with a bit of tubing to space them away from the frame. Failing that what he said up there about 2 part epoxy glues. Best results if you degrease the area and roughen it with some P80. Obviously the trick with the sand paper is to only do the bit that will be covered.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

The supplied foam sticky pads with those are not great.

However, 3M adhesive pad should be good – if it can hold a GoPro to my matt ski helmet (with a leash as backup) it can hold a cable guide.

rc200f8
    Free Member

I’ve had good results sticking hose guides to andodised & painted frames using ‘serious glue’ – I think its made by bostick, it’s waterproof & slightly flexible got, it from Homebase.

Neil-F
    Free Member

Use 3M trim tape, its for sticking rubbing strips to car doors. Good stuff.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Zip ties look infinately better than those guides

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Get some cushioned double sided tape used for sticking car number plates on.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

zip ties

Sam

3M UHB double sided tape is what you want. Get everything very clean, warm tape up before use and it’ll stick like excrement to a golden syrup tin lid which has been left in the sun. You want a bit of flexibility, not a totally hard glue. Oh, and anyone who thinks a zip tie wrapped around a tube looks better than a neatly glued guide is completely insane…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Than the guide pictured yes zip tie better

Real guide fitted correctly is better than zip tie but thats a little more involved than sticky plasters

Onzadog
    Free Member

Jagwire do some black alloy guides which might work better.

fluxhutchinson
    Free Member

Try clear “adiseal” sorry no link as im on my phone but it looks strong as ****.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’ve used araldite and two part epoxy bonder before now and it has been excellent for adding dropper post cable guides. The standard sticky pads on the back just aren’t strong enough and cable ties just couldn’t be tightened tight enough and look a mess.

So long as you’re sure you won’t want to move them!

chief31
    Free Member

The only option you should be using is to clean the frame with clear methylated spirits and using a good quality silicone either clear or frame colour. It will be strong waterproof and will move when needed and not break off or crack with age.
    Also it can be taken off very easily when needed and re-applied again with out damage as you can buy silicone remover. Cost around £10 for silicone and remover which will do a lot or clips.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Would superglue be shite for sticking cable guides to a raw frame?’ is closed to new replies.