Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • would someone who'd never heard music be able to tell when a piece was sad etc ?
  • kaiser
    Free Member

strange post you may think but i know that certain instrumental music can really move me /send a shiver down my spine …and it got me thinking it that because of something I’ve subconsciously learned or is it more than that and almost innate? your thoughts please .

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

All to do with the minor 3rd.

Apparently, this musical shift in intonation is the same shift we make when we speak and are sad.

So yes, innate.

blaggers
    Free Member

Did you listen to Infinite Monkey Cage this week?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Funny you should mention this, but there was a program on the radio last night covering this exact thing.
    I think it said that it was a believed to be a learnt response.
    Wasn’t listening properly but it sounded interesting so might be worth trying.
    roughly 13 mins in.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0183tlt

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes iirc they did some experiments with this with tribes people

Some expressions were also universal – surprise, joy, and some other stuff.

Smells were not – most think rotting veg smell is unpleasant but some people make food this way an dlike it – I forget who these cultures were.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Those pesky Koreans like rotten cabbage.

antennae
    Free Member

Some reckon we’re hardwired to like consonant, harmonious tunes, even as little people…

http://www.greenwych.ca/babies.htm

Markie
    Free Member

Yes. At least, that’s what I remember taking from the book!

DezB
    Free Member

Ah yes, my boy said “Why is the music so sad” when watching films very early on.

Harris
    Free Member

‘Empty Cans’ by The Streets is a great example of this. The first half of the track is all minor chords and downbeat in tone (lyrically also). Second half of the song is composed of the same chords only major rather than minor. At this point a wave of euphoria washes over me. A great end to a brilliant record.

maccruiskeen

In the Infinate Monkey cage program (liked above) the point made was that minor chords are melancholic in western music but can be quite celebratory in other cultures (all be it with a different tempo) – so that suggests its more cultural than instinctive.

bobfromkansas
    Free Member

Definitely learned. My 4 month old son finds evil drum and bass hilarious.

mboy
    Free Member

All to do with the minor 3rd.

Apparently, this musical shift in intonation is the same shift we make when we speak and are sad.

So yes, innate.

Correct, but not quite the full story.

Just spoke to my lecturer who wrote the article all about chords for Sound on Sound a month or so ago, and she said it’s to do with Dissonance. Basically, in a major chord, all the notes played have frequencies that are mathematically linked by multiples or factors there of. For instance, if you play an A below middle C which is 440Hz, then you can also play the A an octave above (at 880Hz, 2x the frequency), the E in the octave above (1320Hz, 3x the frequency), the A 2 octaves above (1760Hz, 4x the frequency), the C 2 octaves above (2200Hz, 5x the frequency) and so on… Or therabouts, I might be a note out here or there, but the principle is what counts…

A Minor chord has a note in it that cannot be mathematically linked in any way. A bit like the way Singlespeeders often run a 32:16, 34:17, or a 36:18 for a perfect 2:1 ratio. But if they ran a 32:17 or 36:19 for instance, they would be dissonant because they don’t share any immediate multiples.

So in a major chord, each note plays in harmony, whereas in a minor, one note is out of harmony. And it is this that makes it sound “sad” to us, though as quite correctly pointed out, it is a learned response… Something we become used to through exposure to sound.

Definitely learned. My 4 month old son finds evil drum and bass hilarious.

Excellent, start em young! 😀

Though it could also just be that the Drum & Bass you are playing him is all in major chords!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

D minor is the saddest of all keys, especially when you play Lick my Love Pump.

iDave
    Free Member

“it goes like this the fourth the fifth, the minor fall the major lift…”

cynic-al
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member
    Smells were not

Not so for puke, poo, aversions to these keep yer healthy.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘would someone who'd never heard music be able to tell when a piece was sad etc ?’ is closed to new replies.