Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Would it be silly to go from an original IPad to a mini?
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

As above, but thinking that as a sofa & out & about device then smaller could be better.
    Obviously this will be costly, but will I possibly see a return for the money given that I find the current device a bit cumbersome & rarely use it?

mattjevans
    Free Member

I’ve had both and prefer the mini for out and about (on the train etc) FWIW

somouk
    Free Member

I now have a mini after having the normal size one for years and find it much easier to handle when on trains/planes etc.

footflaps

I have the original iPad and went to look at a Mini in the Apple store, but thought it seemed a bit big. I prefer to size of the Samsung S3 phone for a really portable browser….

piemonster

Mini is a travel pad, normal is a home pad

CountZero

For out and about, the Mini is perfect, light, easy to hold, good storage. Not got one myself. Yet. 😀
    I will, leaving the iPad at home, for web stuff, photo stuff etc. A Mini makes a perfect e-reader, and is an ideal size for using Viewranger on.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Givern that I won’t use itt for films ect whilst at home, & trying to use the I player on 3G is a waste of time then just what do I expect from a portable device?
    Well I except the limitations, but do I want a massive phone for the 1% of the time it will be usefull, Er no, the iPad is most usefull whenn I’m not in a wifi area but I’m not sure how this relates to my OP.
    Cheers.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

(Other tablets are available….)

I’ve just got a mini Samsung Galaxy as a travel tablet. Am very impressed. Bunged a 32gb memory card in on top of the 16gb internal memory and it holds plenty. If I need more on a long haul or for storing more photos, for example, carrying another 32gb card is really easy. I can just bung in more memory whenever I want, with no need to be online to do so. Plus, all my media is just drag and drop, so I can move stuff around anywhere really easily.

Overall, mini tablet is a great idea for travelling. Battery life is a little less, but size/weight are perfect for flying with, IMHO.

parkesie
    Free Member

I’m using a mini works much better as a portable device more tactile and useable for kindle because of the reduced weight.

nutsnvolks
    Free Member

I have a mini, I think it’s great. Makes a nice compromise between trying to stare at my phone screen and getting the laptop out! That said, the wife seems to have claimed it as hers! And I’ve never had a normal iPad to compare it, but screen didn’t seem that much smaller in the shop

forge197
    Free Member

Had an original ipad for a couple of years and have recently “retired” it for the mini, never went back to ipad 1 once the mini is a great size and as I had an ipad 1 a jump in performance, also 4G on ee is excellent as is there 3G were 4G is not available.

So no it would not be silly

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I’ve got an iPad 1 which I will chop in for the mini 2 when that comes out. Nothing wrong with the 1 per se but a mini 2 will be betterer…

philtricklebank

Yes, no doubt the mini 2 will be “innovatively elongated” just like the iPhone 5 was.

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve gone from a 10″ tablet to a 7″ one and while occassionally the bigger screen would be nice, I find that most of the time, the 7″ one is perfect (Not apple tablets but the screen size makes that irrelevant)

Mackem

Same as clubber, went from decent 10″ tablet to Google Nexus 7 – much better.

I use my laptop indoors but out and about the 7″ is much better as a portable browser/reader.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Yes, no doubt the mini 2 will be “innovatively elongated” just like the iPhone 5 was.

Which is why I dont upgrade every time theres Apple do something new & shiny. A mini 2 will be a significant jump from an ipad 1 imo. Likewise a 3gs to a 5.

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah only thing stopping me getting a Mini is knowing the Mini 2 will be a decent jump up (retina + faster CPU for starters), might be a few months away but I’ll make do with a laptop until then rather than regret buying a Mini now.

Pigface
    Free Member

When is the i pad mini 2 going to be coming out then? I may hang on before I treat myself.

clubber
    Free Member

Just wait for the Mini 3 🙂

Kryton57

Maybe I “need” a mini 😐

vrapan
    Free Member

iPad 1 is left behind since getting a Mini. Maybe you will be more bothered if you give up the high res of one of the newer iPads but I am not spoiled in that way so for the time being the mini is better. Battery life is very good, size/weight near darn perfect, screen size not noticeably smaller.

Complains, it could be more scratch resistant, a bit faster and bit cheaper. Other than that just buy one.

Spongebob
    Free Member

I have an iPad 2 and iPhone 4S.

The iPad cold do with being a little bit bigger for home use.

A 6″ tablet wold be ideal on the move – something that slips into a jacket pocket.

I tried out he iPad mini and thought it was too big and relatively expensive.

I hate the way Apple are so tight about pricing the larger storage models and those with 3G/4G and GPS

IMHO, all Mini’s should have 3G/4G GPS, otherwise, what is the point of it?

clubber
    Free Member

I’d never pay extra for 3G functionality. I’ve always got my mobile with me to act as a hotspot and more often than not, where I use my tablet there’s wifi.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Would it be silly to go from an original IPad to a mini?’ is closed to new replies.