Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Would it be possible to….? (kite content)
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Would it be possible to have the person on the back of a tandem fly one of those big surfing kites and thence gain more speed? I can see a few problems such as there not being enough room behind the captain, and you might need to limit it to a pretty small kite. But theoretically, would it be possible to ride around a circular loop this way?

If someone is willing to try this I will come and take a video of it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sort of.

A few problems, though….
    1 – High tension lines, at or around neck/head height of the captain! Those lines would need to be moved around at speed to keep in the wind envelope. 'ow you say in Eeengleesh, "decapitation"?
    2 – Space. Would only really lend itself to massive wide open spaces, like runways or beaches. Hardly exciting.
    3 – Where would you run the power to the treadmill from?

molgrips
    Free Member

Well yes but those problems could be overcome with a suitably designed bike. For instance, front half normal bike, rear half 'tall bike'.

Can someone please try this! I'll contribute money!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Been done on a bike;

Not seen on a tandem yet…

molgrips
    Free Member

Tandem would be better – one could concentrate on steering and handling. It'd be a bit like sailing a two man dinghy, no?

pjd
    Free Member

alsos, you want the kite moving round and never really directly in your line of travel, more off to the side hence wanting to pull you off (narf) the side of the tandem

usually you have 4 or three wheels, or fins when surfing, that give you some sidey ways traction, tandem is just going to fall over isn't it?

fun to watch someone trying i guess, stick the video up here…

coffeeking
    Free Member

Poor James. Won't somebody think of the kids?

TooTall
    Free Member

no – it would be like two monkeys fighting on a two-wheeled wind-powered death-machine.

Haaaaaaang on a minute………….

TEEJAY! Front and centre!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TooTall…

aracer
    Free Member

I'd have thought the problem with separating steering and kite flying is that the person steering, and hence with the biggest input to balance doesn't know how much sideways pull they're going to get.

molgrips
    Free Member

alsos, you want the kite moving round and never really directly in your line of travel, more off to the side hence wanting to pull you off (narf) the side of the tandem

That's why you lean, like sailors (fnarr indeed).

It's got to be worth a try. And unless I am much mistaken, you can lessen the amount of pull can you not by pulling the kite higher up in the air, no?

molgrips
    Free Member

The more I think about this, the more I want to see it attempted!

I'll be the driver if someone wants to lend me a tandem 🙂

GrahamA
    Free Member

What you need is one of these:

Or better still a custom version where the 'Side Car' is in front

TooTall
    Free Member

I'd have thought the biggest problem would be keeping the stoker in contact with the bike whilst having their arms ripped from the sockets by a traction kite.

pjd
    Free Member

indeed a multitude of problems but indeed entertaining to watch, but anything less than perfect conditions and it'll be difficult.

coffeeking
    Free Member

In all honesty though, the last thing the kiting community needs is someone attempting stuff like this. It's already deemed dangerous and irresponsible by authorities everywhere.

molgrips
    Free Member

I'd have thought the biggest problem would be keeping the stoker in contact with the bike whilst having their arms ripped from the sockets by a traction kite.

Just tie them on – simples.

indeed entertaining to watch, but anything less than perfect conditions and it'll be difficult.

Exactly 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Would it be possible to….? (kite content)’ is closed to new replies.