Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Would it be like night and day? Modern bike v my "retro" steed?
  • rockhopper70

Bonus time at work and virtual shopping time (again) for a new bike.
    I currently have a 2004, 26″ wheel Cannondale Jekyll with lefty MAX fork that I have had since new.
    It’s seen honest service around Calderdale, wales trail centres and four alps trips and, touch wood, doesn’t really seem to miss a beat.
    The last few years seem to have seen a surge of new ideas what makes a bike better so if I did get something bang up to date, would it be a completely different feeling ride?
    For what it’s worth, I do like the Whyte, both the T130 and T129.
    The Jeffsy 29r also looks a good choice.
    Also, and admittedly due to brand loyalty, like the look of the cannondale Habit.
    Are these modern bikes more comfy, more efficient or just handle and ride better?

Oh, and i have been advised that 29r is a no no as the jump in wheel size would be too much to handle.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Oh, and i have been advised that 29r is a no no as the jump in wheel size would be too much to handle

Which absolute donut came out with that ultimate pearl of (non) wisdom?

wwaswas

i have been advised that 29r is a no no as the jump in wheel size would be too much to handle

by who?

As an illustration a bloke we ride with had a 2001 Kona DH bike with Marzochii dual crown forks etc when he first started with us last year. He really struggled to keep up. He bought a current year Cannondale Jekyll and his riding’s transformed.

There’s been a lot of progress in bike design and component function and efficiency in the past 13 years…

stevextc
    Free Member

Simple answer YES….(mostly likely)

I was blown away though that was from a late 90’s vintage to something like a T-130 (or even a modern trail focused hardtail)

Geometry has really changed ….
    Book yourself a half day at a trail centre hires out decent bikes and find out.

rockhopper70

A bike seller told me that.
    I’ll state that I wasn’t convinced.

cokie

You need to go to a demo day!
    That should open your eyes sufficiently.
    Lots has happened in the 13 years since your bike was made.
    I would suggest trying as many bikes as possible across the range; 29er short travel, long travel, and 650b+ bikes, 650b short travel and long travel too.

stumpy01

Go and demo a few bikes.

In 2010 I replaced my 2001 Stumpjumper FSR with a 2010 FSR after demoing a few bikes.

The new bikes were massively more capable – much more so than I would have expected….

matt_outandabout

Which absolute donut came out with that ultimate pearl of (non) wisdom?

The same one who told me that I *would* go over the bars riding a 26″ wheel bike at Comrie, as the wheel wouldn’t roll as well over a couple of specific bumps.

kcal

I would say yes, too. Don’t get me wrong, I really like my two 26″ bikes (’95 SS Kilaeua and ’98 M2 – that one I’ve had from new) but last year got a new bike, adaptable between 29r and 650b+ and feeling the fun — the smaller wheels do have a place for blasting about but have felt an increase in enjoyment level with the slightly bigger wheel sets.

There certainly are a couple of moves locally that I now find easier to roll than I did with 26″ wheels. Not at all saying that they weren’t doable before, plenty did, but my confidence wasn’t there ..

tallmart10

I hate you all. I had just convinced myself that my Spark 2009 carbon 26er was fine for xc and I really dont need a 29er then you all go and ruin it.

6079smithw
    Free Member

Get the Cannondale Bad Habit

juanghia
    Free Member

I hate you all. I had just convinced myself that my Spark 2009 carbon 26er was fine for xc and I really dont need a 29er then you all go and ruin it.

Some of my XC PB’s are still on a 1×9 26er Trek Elite 9.9 80mm Pace Forks and with 560mm Bars 🙂

Having said that I was several years younger

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Would it be like night and day? Modern bike v my "retro" steed?’ is closed to new replies.