Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 131 total)
  • Would it be good if STW was a more welcoming place for ladies?
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I think we could do with a lolcatz thread

Please God, no. I’d rather chew my own arm off.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Hmm, I get the feeling that we’re starting to disappear up our own arses on this one.

druidh
    Free Member

GW – Member
    druidh – Member
    littlegirlbunny – I’d still like an answer to my question
    To be fair your question was diercted at “lgb” whoever that is
    I’d also be interested in lbg’s reply tho.

Oh teh ironing

GrahamS

I think the biggest turn off, probably more so for women, is how agumentative some of the most regular posters are

At the danger of being argumentative or one of the “folk on here think that every post requires their input”, I can’t imagine anything duller than this forum being full of people agreeing with each other.

Different points of view, opinions, debates and discussion is the main reason I have been coming here for all these years and is why I treasure this little community so much.

miaowing_kat
    Free Member

think it’s perfectly welcoming. however, I don’t know any women who are 1. vaguely interested in bikes 2. enough of a geek to ever consider joining stw

stumpy01

The Southern Yeti – Member
    I think we could do with a lolcatz thread

Too late, although as with all my threads, it’s disappearing without a trace…. 😥

miaowing_kat – Member
    think it’s perfectly welcoming. however, I don’t know any women who are 1. vaguely interested in bikes 2. enough of a geek to ever consider joining stw

BINGO……

alp_girl
    Free Member

As I said on page 1, I think there’s nothing wrong with the STW forum(s). And for the record, I’m not male with a girly username, I really am a girl with a girly username for easy identification 😉 ) Some people on here have such a great sense of humour, there are plenty of threads that have me in absolute stitches. If I’m reading a thread that descends into more of an “argument” (if that’s the right word), I just skip the argumentative posts and read the ones that stay on topic – simple! I have also never been offended by reading rude comments about famous women/women in general/men/news stories, and I don’t feel intimidated by any of the “regulars”. Whenever I’ve had a question, I got perfectly friendly and helpful answers. (hehe, guess next time I ask something I’ll get a reply involving my doors 😛 )

Having worked both in a mainly male and then mainly female environment, I can honestly say I preferred the male dominated teams. In my experience women (especially in groups) can be incredibly nasty and backstabbing, I much prefer a rude man telling me things straight, having an argument and sorting out whatever the issue is, than a two-faced woman being all sweet to my face and bitching about me as soon as I’m out of earshot and the actual problem never gets sorted.

End of sermon 😀

PS sharki, whereabouts in Wales do you want to ride 😉 ?

stumpy01

^^^^ am I allowed to swoon…….(genuinely too, not in the usual sarcastic manner on here)

incidentally, I have never really considered the word ‘swoon’. It’s a great word.

coffeeking
    Free Member

3 – It’s a reflection of society which is largely not sexist with some oddities that are stupid and it’s largely welcoming of anyone and everything. Jesus, we have people on here with 29″ wheels and no gears for christ’s sake.

I think a part of the issue is that many folk on here do not like to be challenged so will not accept that the sexism exists on here so see no need to change.

As a non-sexist person I don’t find very much of it here. But then I’m not painfully careful not to offend everyone either so maybe I don’t notice it.

Cougar

You could just, y’know, not read it? Look,

I just skip the argumentative posts and read the ones that stay on topic – simple!

So simple even a WOMAN can do it!

Cougar

(note to the humour-impaired: that was a joke, no actual misogyny was involved in the making of that edit, and I’m sure that there’s plenty of things that women can do almost as well as men)

nealglover
    Free Member

Regarding option 5:

5) I’d rather ladies didn’t come here so we can use as much banter as we like without worry

Isn’t it a bit sexist to presume that Women can’t (or don’t want to) handle banter ??

Some of the best Banter Ninjas I know are women.

Cougar

(note to the humour-impaired: so was that. Still with me? Good good.)

Tiger6791

alp_girl – Member

And for the record, I’m not male with a girly username

Sorry still on 6), Dave

Cougar

Some of the best Banter Ninjas I know are women.

Some of the most dangerous Banter Ninjas I know are women.

orangina
    Free Member

3)

jon1973
    Free Member

Does my bum look big in this?

nickf
    Free Member

IanMunro
    Free Member

1) and 3) and 4)

You can’t please all of the people all of the time.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

druidh – Member

lgb – Do you think that any of the mlehworld ladies feel belittled or threatened, despite the general tone of that forum? Or that any have left because of it?

Do you feel more welcome over here or over there?

Sorry druidh, for the late reply, I had to go off and do some of that awful thing called work!

Mlehworld is a very special place, full of some reet special people 😉 It never claims to be anything to anyone, least of all welcoming! The wonderful mlehburds give as good as they get, and know the score. There are no ‘forum rules’ (well not that I know of, other than the unwritten ones) which dictate how you can respond and how you should treat others.

Giving as good as you get on here is very different – I’d be banned within 5.25 seconds if I responded to some people how I would really like 😆

So I just don’t bother most of the time!

I feel welcomed by some, and hated by others, on both forums. I’m a pretty marmite kind of girl so that’s nothing unusual and it doesn’t bother me. I guess I know a bigger percentage of people in real life on mlehworld, so feel more welcomed there through that alone. I ride always with guys and work in a very male dominated environment. I regularly get comments like ‘oh, I was expecting a guy’ – whether it’s when I take of the fullface or when I turn up on site.

I am not readily offended.

BUT that doesn’t mean I don’t understand that others are offended. I didn’t start this thread as a complaint. I was genuinely interested in the overall opinion of whether the loss of the two members was down to STW not being welcome enough, or whether they were maybe over-sensitive to the issue. If it was the former, like I have already said, it would’ve been maybe worth trying to sort it out. Seems general opinion is that it was the latter.

I do think it is a real shame that two female members have gone, as they both had such useful input. But you know, I’ll go rag my bike this weekend and this thread will disappear of the face of the planet by tomorrow and no-one will really care. Other than those who have been genuinely hurt by comments that may, or may not, have been directed at them.

Cougar

I just googled “mlehworld” cos I’d never heard of it.

First hit takes you to their site, all the others on screen were pages from STW talking about it.

Went to the website, and got hit by an iFrame exploit. So, I don’t think I’ll be joining that, then.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Wun.. oh no she’s got it. 😐 Fair enough.

Seems general opinion is that it was the latter.

Well the fact is that that view is wrong. I know for a fact that it’s nothing to do with ‘over-sensitivity’, certainly on Sue’s part. And I think it’s very insulting to suggest that she is, especially if you don’t know her.

What Sue has done is opened up debate on the issue, which I think is healthy. I accept that some find this a bit too challenging, but then they probbly find quite a few things in life challenging, tbh.

As for Mleh; I went on there for a few days some time ago, and enthusiastically joined in the ‘banter’ on there, but it seems that on a ‘forum with no rules’, some folk were just a little too sensitive for my brand of ‘banter’ and ‘humour’, and got a little upset. 😆

The poor sensitive little fluffybunnies…

Bunnyhop

1)

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

Well the fact is that that view is wrong. I know for a fact that it’s nothing to do with ‘over-sensitivity’, certainly on Sue’s part. And I think it’s very insulting to suggest that she is, especially if you don’t know her.

I didn’t suggest she was – I said general opinion seemed to think it was.

Very different

druidh
    Free Member

Cougar – Member
    I just googled “mlehworld” cos I’d never heard of it.

First hit takes you to their site, all the others on screen were pages from STW talking about it.

Went to the website, and got hit by an iFrame exploit. So, I don’t think I’ll be joining that, then.Should have used the link in the post above. There was some hacking issue, the cause and effect of which I don’t understand….

LGB – thanks for the response. I guess that, in some way, it confirms my own thoughts. Have you thought about changing your first name, or do you secretly enjoying watching that fleeting moment of discomfort on the faces of others 🙂

flange
    Free Member

What Sue has done is opened up debate on the issue, which I think is healthy. I accept that some find this a bit too challenging, but then they probbly find quite a few things in life challenging, tbh.

Of course you do….

Cougar

I said general opinion seemed to think it was.

I’m not convinced that that was the general opinion. Seemed to be the minority opinion, but I could be wrong, I wasn’t counting.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Cougar

Should have used the link in the post above

Ah, yes. It was on an earlier post on a previous page so I didn’t realise there was a link there. Tar.

GrahamS

STW not being welcome enough, or whether they were maybe over-sensitive to the issue. If it was the former, like I have already said, it would’ve been maybe worth trying to sort it out. Seems general opinion is that it was the latter.

Actually I think the general opinion was that it was neither. By my reading anyway.

I think as a whole the forum is generally welcoming, but discussion in that thread highlighted certain areas (the clearest being “the doors” thing) where we maybe need to tone down a little bit to avoid (inadvertently) upsetting folk.

druidh
    Free Member

LOL – don’t thank me 🙂

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

LGB – thanks for the response. I guess that, in some way, it confirms my own thoughts. Have you thought about changing your first name, or do you secretly enjoying watching that fleeting moment of discomfort on the faces of others

Indeed, I deliberately only use the short version of my name now. For that very reason. Nowt like turning up to do an audit with the element of surprise 😉

I’m not convinced that that was the general opinion. Seemed to be the minority opinion, but I could be wrong, I wasn’t counting.

Well, if/when this gets to 10 pages, or gets locked, I’ll do a count 😉

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I don’t really think that what sex you are makes any difference, some people are always gonna be more easily offended than others – and that’s Definitely not a criticism, just a fact, we’re all different.
    As a relative newcomer, I find a lot of the banter quite amusing, but then, it’s been said I’m not [sexist remark] your typical female[/sexist remark].

sharki
    Free Member

alp_girl.
    Having only ridden the Gap road, Afan trails, gower, Brecfa, Snowdon and penmac, my welsh experience is limited.

A rides a ride an meeting new people is great, whether male of female.

Just male me an invite. 😉

kennyp
    Free Member

3……as long as both men and women are thick-skinned enough, and aren’t the type who pretend to get offended at anything they disagree with.

Woody
    Free Member

Mark – Resident Grumpy

I think part of the issue is that many folk on here think that every post requires their input
    Some considerably more than others!

Would a max daily post count help stop the domination ?

Oh and 3 BTW.

EDIT: I’ve thought about that a little more and it would have to be selective as there are quite a few ‘heavy posters’ who seem to be able to do so without being argumentative, combative or bullying – some are even very amusing and interesting.

emma82
    Free Member

2. enough of a geek to ever consider joining stw

How very dare you!! I have the same problem though.

I’ve actually felt very welcome, I don’t like some of the comments though and glad it’s been challenged. I always seem to miss the comments, Mods are pretty quick. I think it is just a few bumholes who seem to want to show off and you get that everywhere. Generally it’s challenged and people get banned. It is a massive shame that Sue and Emsz have left but I’m sure they’ll come back. I’ve had the odd break from the place as no matter what, there will always be the odd few people who wind you up so I find the best thing to do is step away, just like in a pub I’d tell someone what I thought of them then go sit with someone else or go to the bar, at work Id be very honest that idiot behavior will be disciplined and if something on the TV (Jeremy Kyle for example or that stupid sunday programme with the woman off the news) gets on my nerve I turn it off and don’t watch again.

I don’t know why but it seems to go in peaks and troughs around here, it gets out of hand, someone really crosses the line then it dies down.

And to whoever made the comment about her user name belittling her sex or whatever crap you came out with, that is 100% crap.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

For what it’s worth – 3.

And Alp_girl’s comment up there ^^ was most excellent and I think summed up the situation perfectly. As others have said, mostly this is a pretty welcoming and entertaining place. There are some threads / comments etc that are brilliantly funny and help to create sunshine on a cloudy day. Other threads are really helpful and informative. And sometimes, usually on one of “those topics” get a bit heated and out of hand. But, as is the common answer on “the state of TV” type threads you have a choice not to look. So, if you find a thread offensive, just move on. If things are getting a bit personal it’s easy enough to just let it go and not visit the thread again. No big deal.

philconsequence
    Free Member

As I said on page 1, I think there’s nothing wrong with the STW forum(s). And for the record, I’m not male with a girly username, I really am a girl with a girly username for easy identification ) Some people on here have such a great sense of humour, there are plenty of threads that have me in absolute stitches. If I’m reading a thread that descends into more of an “argument” (if that’s the right word), I just skip the argumentative posts and read the ones that stay on topic – simple! I have also never been offended by reading rude comments about famous women/women in general/men/news stories, and I don’t feel intimidated by any of the “regulars”. Whenever I’ve had a question, I got perfectly friendly and helpful answers. (hehe, guess next time I ask something I’ll get a reply involving my doors )

Having worked both in a mainly male and then mainly female environment, I can honestly say I preferred the male dominated teams. In my experience women (especially in groups) can be incredibly nasty and backstabbing, I much prefer a rude man telling me things straight, having an argument and sorting out whatever the issue is, than a two-faced woman being all sweet to my face and bitching about me as soon as I’m out of earshot and the actual problem never gets sorted

if mrsconsequence was bothered about checking the forum, she’d have written this 😀

yunki
    Free Member

I understand that some of the contributors have some serious mental health issues.. and it’s those guys that go out of their way to make the women visitors feel uncomfortable.. I guess you find them in every walk of life.. (although I have many female friends who are a great deal coarser than any of the ‘controversial banter’ on here)

The rapey guys sociopathic behaviour is obvious in all their posts though.. they just have a louder voice on here than they would be granted out in the harsh reality of life..

Other than that I think that the forum is generally a fairly genteel place.. but could do with making everybody feel more welcome..
    I was horrified by the hositlity to newcomers when I first found the place.. and it’s only my stubborn streak, lonely situation and MTB obsession that forced me to persist with it..
    I imagine that this very process weeds out a number of level headed people in a kind of reversed selection process.. leaving mostly only the slightly socially disfunctional..

reverse darwinism.. there’s a creepy sci-fi novel in there somewhere

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘Would it be good if STW was a more welcoming place for ladies?’ is closed to new replies.