Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 131 total)
  • Would it be good if STW was a more welcoming place for ladies?
  • binners

Does anyone have the link to the great Singletrack Mumsnet forum raid instigated by Hora? That was hilarious!

wwaswas

the great Singletrack Mumsnet forum raid

It’s Just William’s Outlaws vs the Hubert Lane-ites in cyberspace!

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

Interesting. TBH, I personally don’t care whether I am welcome here or not, I’d still use the site as and when I felt the need.

I do find it sad, however, that two of the regular female posters have gone, but if the general consensus is ‘we are welcoming enough’ then I guess there is little to be done about that. If more people were concerned by the loss, and lack of other female participation on the forum, I’d say it may be worth making the effort to find out why.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

littlegirlbunny

I think a part of the issue is that many folk on here do not like to be challenged so will not accept that the sexism exists on here so see no need to change.

personally I think the sexism will be less tolerated now – at least for a while

stumpy01

1, 3 & 4, probably.

If 3 isn’t true, then 1 although I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it either way, so 4

What I found a bit rubbish about the other thread, was the amount of female lurkers who came on to give their tuppence worth.
    I think that the mood/attitude of a forum is largely dictated by it’s demographic. If the female lurkers actually got stuck in a bit more, then it would be a more balanced demographic and all the stuff that was initially said, probably wouldn’t be said.
    But to be a ‘lurker’ for whatever reason, never post & contribute and then all of a sudden pipe up & say ‘yeah, I found that offensive’ is a bit lame.

More women getting involved would make the whole place more rounded & I think the kind of offensive stuff that has been discussed would never get to the surface.

druidh
    Free Member

lgb – Do you think that any of the mlehworld ladies feel belittled or threatened, despite the general tone of that forum? Or that any have left because of it?

Do you feel more welcome over here or over there?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ok.. Clarification’ist..

Your Sex is irrelevant..(herumph)

Your Attitude is..(cough, cough, pointy finger wag, pointy finger wag)

I’m happily married and consider my sex is irrelevant to you Sir..(ta dahh)

BikePawl
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    littlegirlbunny

I think a part of the issue is that many folk on here do not like to be challenged so will not accept that the sexism exists on here so see no need to change.

personally I think the sexism will be less tolerated now – at least for a while

Posted 1 minute ago #

I do hope you include yourself in the same category

soobalias
    Free Member

kinda interested in a response to onions question ^

other than that, this is just another thread begging to be turned into a 400 000 words/post naval gazing bitch fest occupied by the usual suspects – for that reason im out.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have no issue with being challenged at all bikepawl

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

And so, another thread descends in to the sort of thing that’s really offputting about this place at times.

GrahamS

I do find it sad, however, that two of the regular female posters have gone

I think most people do – hence the enormous thread discussing it and examining if attitudes needed to change.

The consensus (before it disintegrated into nonsense) seemed to be that a little self-moderation might be in order. All healthy stuff I think.

TandemJeremy – Member

I think a part of the issue is that many folk on here do not like to be challenged..

BikePawl
    Free Member

Didn’t look like that yesterday, in fact you claimed I was being offensive. Maybe that was down to “being offended” was in vogue.

Mark

I think part of the issue is that many folk on here think that every post requires their input

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bikepawl – it was the wrong place to explore that issue as this is. You had a basic misunderstanding of the situation you referred to.

You want to explore that email me.

I am quite happy to be challenged however I do find being called a liar repetitively very offensive.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’ve forgotten the options.

Yes, it’s nice that women use the site. I don’t know whether it’s welcoming or not. I’d say it is.

I think the biggest turn off, probably more so for women, is how agumentative some of the most regular posters are… personally that style of thread bores me more than work does.

GW
    Free Member

I encounter various levels of sexism towards myself almost daily in real life, it’s very seldom meant in malace but there none the less. Generally I will challenge it with the use of humour and/or intelligent reply.

funny thing is… there actually are cycling/mtb forums with Women’s sections, as far as I’m aware there are no cycling forums with Male only sections.

would def be better here without pointless polls and endless listing threads. but. 1, 3 & 4 (if I must! but surely it’s a no brainer)

jp-t853

TJ my dad’s bigger than yours

Tiger6791

The Southern Yeti

I think the biggest turn off, probably more so for women, is how agumentative some of the most regular posters are

That’s not true!

Prove it!

druidh
    Free Member

GW – Member
    funny thing is… there actually are cycling/mtb forums with Women’s sections, as far as I’m aware there are no cycling forums with Male only sections.

Wasn’t there a whole women-only forum somewhere before it died due to lack of interest?

djglover
    Free Member

It will never change, as sure as night is day.

Mountain biking attracts a laddish set who are into kit, beer and swearing, and come here with the intent of winding folk up.

This forum attracts all sorts of people, including some middleclass middle aged women, who like my dear mother are prety easily offended.

The final ingredient is the old salwarts and self appointed police of the forum make so much noise about a potential storm in a tea cup that its blown completely out of proportion.

Removing any one of these groups will help, especially the last one.

Maybe if the chat was split into 3

Lads lounge
    Ladies lounge
    The rest could **** off to the guardian messageboard

TooTall
    Free Member

This forum represents the sport, which is largely populated by blokes. Blokes together get a bit macho and egotistical. So much so that I stopped riding with certain people because their egos and testosterone controlled their riding. It is a bit ‘chicken and egg’ because if it were more welcoming to women, more women would be in the sport, therefore the forum would be more balanced.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Sock it to me, Sock it to me, Sock it to me, Sock it to me,

Sock it to me, Sock it to me, Sock it to me, Sock it to me,

Mmm.

Just a little bit…

GW
    Free Member

Wasn’t there a whole women-only forum somewhere before it died due to lack of interest?

er.. there still are (if you mean a “Women only mtb forum”? rather than some random forum for “Whole women” as opposed to “pre-op’s”)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Prove it!

9/10 women that I work with have just said they don’t like arguing.

That’s a real life, conclusive, FACT right there.

sharki
    Free Member

It needs to be much more welcoming, imo.

I still need contacts in a wider variety of the UK to fill my boots with.

Plenty of love to go around still.

Wanted lady cyclists in Wales, Yorkshire, Norfolk, Surrey and Shropshire. 😀

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Ooh baby, just a little bit.

GrahamS

Mark – Resident Grumpy

I think part of the issue is that many folk on here think that every post requires their input

The Landlord’s Dilemma: the regulars keep the place going and go some way to defining the likeable character of the pub; but many of them are loud alcoholics and can sometimes put people off coming in.

ton

Tiger6791

The Southern Yeti – Member

Prove it!

9/10 women that I work with have just said they don’t like arguing.

That’s a real life, conclusive, FACT right there.

You work with 10 women.

Why are they not at home with babies? 😉

Cougar

Yes, it’s nice that women use the site. I don’t know whether it’s welcoming or not. I’d say it is.

I’d hope it is.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Why are they not at home with babies?

Give me another 10 months and they will be 🙂

I’d hope it is.

I used to make extra special effort to be as welcoming as possible to anyone that could possibly be female.

bikebouy
    Free Member

9/10 women that I’ve just asked are still arguing.

Tiger6791

The Southern Yeti – Banned

Tiger6791 – Banned

druidh
    Free Member

littlegirlbunny – I’d still like an answer to my question 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Tiger – that’s ridiculous. Women have a sense of humour too!

stumpy01

The Southern Yeti – Member

I think the biggest turn off, probably more so for women, is how agumentative some of the most regular posters are… personally that style of thread bores me more than work does.

yep.

I think we could do with a lolcatz thread, myself, just to lighten the atmosphere.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

but many of them are loud alcoholics and can sometimes put people off coming in.

😆

Yooorrr my bessht mate, you arrre…

(Vomits all down Graham’s front. Falls over)

Ooh baby, just a little bit.

I’m liking your work, Wopster. 😉

GW
    Free Member

druidh – Member
    littlegirlbunny – I’d still like an answer to my question

To be fair your question was diercted at “lgb” whoever that is 😉
    I’d also be interested in lbg’s reply tho.

BikePawl
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Bikepawl – it was the wrong place to explore that issue as this is. You had a basic misunderstanding of the situation you referred to.

You want to explore that email me.

I am quite happy to be challenged however I do find being called a liar repetitively very offensive.

Posted 23 minutes ago #

I don’t think I’ll bother with e-mail, your attitude is well summed up by telling me that I have misunderstood the situation.
    Well to stop being called a liar repetitively, don’t lie about the past.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘Would it be good if STW was a more welcoming place for ladies?’ is closed to new replies.