Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Would I notice another inch?
  • Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

So one of my bikes is a medium and I found a large for sale, the large will be an inch longer in top tube and wheelbase, plus 2in on the seat tube, the medium is ok but I’m at the top of the size for a medium so a large would probably be more suitable for my height, but is an inch enough to feel better’er – anyone notice a difference from riding sizes with a small difference?

devash
    Free Member

It will be ok. I’m 6ft exactly and ride a large frame with a 625mm effective top tube and 60 stem. The medium felt super cramped.

welshfarmer

As above. I am a gnts chuff under 6 feet and feel happiest on a large with a shortish (50mm) stem. I did however complete a full series of the BMBO orienteering last year on a medium frame with a 80mm stem and the seat back on the rails. Now have Large in all my bikes though

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    steveh

25mm in the top tube is a lot and definitely enough to be noticeable.

justinbieber

No, but your partner will. 😆

IGMC

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Badaboom Tish! 😆

Yeah, think I might go for it and see, doesn’t seem much when you look at it on a ruler

devash
    Free Member

Its frustrating to be between sizes. I have long legs and a short torso so need the 19 inch seat tube of a large but prefer the reach of a medium. Even on a large frame I still have a fair bit of seatpost showing.

stevied
    Free Member

My old frame was a medium, new one a large. I was the same in that I was top end of the scale for medium. Large fits perfectly.

cp

doesn’t seem much when you look at it on a ruler

it’s surprising how much of a difference it actually makes. when you looks at bike sizes across the board there’s only mm between sizes – even smallest to largest, but it feels very different to ride.

franksinatra

No, but your partner will

but more likely to be appreciative of a fat bike, apparently it is all about width

TooTall
    Free Member

You’ll get used to it.

cookeaa

I am 5’10” and fall on the boundary between medium and large on a lot of the fitting charts. I mostly go for large frames now, but partly because I know I will probably run a shorter stem, it’s nice to have room up front and a bit more wheelbase I find…

At 6′ I am surprised you’re not going straight for a large by default OP TBH…

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m having this mind wrestle myself. Current bike has 23.4″ tt/72° sa. Used to run a 70mm stem which was probably better over all than the 55mm dh bias stem I have now.

New version of that bike puts me slap bang between medium/large. The midium is 23.4″/73.5° so the change in seat tube angle is probably worth 20mm which would give back the reach I used to have with the 70mm stem. But the large is an inch longer so would work with a 35mm stem.

That’s two ways to get the same reach. That’s before we even start wondering if longer/shorter would be better.

I’m probably slightly long bodied/short legged for my height so perhaps should tend towards the longer bike.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

cookeaa – I’m 5’10” too, which puts me right between medium and large. I got the medium about 4 years ago when it was ‘on trend’ to have a smaller more agile bike, but I tend to do more longer xc type rides than twisty woods these days. It’s just the frame I’m buying so just change all the parts over from the medium and go see.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Would I notice another inch?’ is closed to new replies.