Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 146 total)
  • Would flagpole in a neighbours garden put you off buying a house?
  • slowoldman

Millions of Americans would disagree with you.

Yes but those clowns salute the bugger.

sbob
    Free Member

It will only put off bellends so he’s done you a favour. 🙂

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I’d be more worried about the noise of the wire whipping against the flag pole in the wind than I would the flag.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nt80085

Our neighbour erected a flag pole which looked as though it was part of our garden. The dinging of the rope was pretty irritating at night. Luckily they moved house and it mysteriously disappeared just before the new owner moved in. What annoyed me most is the church is in view of our houses and has a perfectly good and well weathered historic flag so the flag pole was not even necessary in the first place.

Cool story I know. 8)

bodgy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t want to live next door to a flag pole owner: they’re either gonna be BNP, UKIP or footy fans (or all three). I want none of that, ta.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I can see why some narrow minded souls might dislike it and thus I suspect it will reduce those making an offer.
    I would be rather worried if he changed it around though. Cannot for the life of me see why and English man would fly, say, a Scottish or Welsh flag.
    Quite possibly your neighbour, being older, is proud of his country. Has he served in the forces for example.
    It saddens me that the English flag has become a symbol for foot supporters. Unfortunately many of the characteristics of those people are not endearing and thus the flag is associate, rightly or wrongly, with football.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Flying flags in your garden isn’t exactly normal behaviour unless you’re having a party or something

And in doing so would prove the OP’s point instantly. The type of American that flies a flag in their garden is justasmuch a person I wouldn’t want to live next to as an English who flies the StG Cross.

(Well, maybe now quite as much)

BurnBob
    Free Member

With Scotland being so politically emotive currently I think it’s an even bigger issue. Lots of new flags popping up all over. It would certainly put me off. Flags in Scotland have a very strong meaning. There are places in Scotland where national chains have had to change their corporate identifying colours so as not to get their windows smashed. Can’t recall the details. St Andrews flag is now very political too. Which is a shame.

martinhutch

Purchasers will make snap judgements based on stereotyping. They have nothing else to go on. That’s what stereotyping is for, rightly or wrongly – for helping you make a decision when you don’t have much evidence to evaluate. Doesn’t make them bellends for erring on the side of caution.

There are worse things for them to see when they look over the fence – a rubbish dump full of dog shit and discarded nappies, half a dozen cars on bricks, or a handily placed sex pool, BBQ and sound system. Some people will even be put off by stuff like trampolines.

Seeing a flagpole in a well-tended garden might make me ask a gentle follow-up question about whether I’m likely to be reported to the council if I leave my bin out for too long. 🙂

mudmuncher

Have viewer arriving shortly…. should I a. Acknowledge the flag and explain neighbour is a harmless old buffer who collects flags or b. Ignore the elephant in the room and not draw attention to it

martinhutch

Make a gentle joke about it which explains how nice he is, and not an interfering old git.

zippykona

Mention it while saying how wonderful all your neighbours are.

aracer
    Free Member

It wouldn’t put me off. The comments about it being chavtastic seem strange to me – surely such people wouldn’t own a flagpole and just hang the flags out of the window?

fanatic278
    Free Member

Hide it behind a giraffe.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

ask them if they use singletrack forum

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Turn it to your advantage!

If the viewer looks like a leftie liberal snowflake, explain the flag flyer is a lovely old gentleman who collects flags of all nationalities and flies a different one every so often to celebrate diversity.

If the viewer looks like a knuckle dragging patriot/racist, explain flag flyer is an up and coming leader of the BNP/Britain First/UKIP or whatever the leading racist party is these days.

kerley
    Free Member

or whatever leading racist party is these days.

I think you will find it is still the Tory party.

A decently constructed flagpole in a well tended garden owned by an eccentric old gent might make me more likely to make an offer.

Hot tubs, on the other hand . . .

firestarter
    Free Member

Isn’t it sad that a Belgian or dane or many other nationalities can fly a flag whether in uk or their home countryside it’s seen as normal or quaint yet if an English person does it its seen as racist.

I’d see it more odd (and noisy)
    than racist but there you go.

One of my neighbours had one with union flag on and he said it was as he was in the army. But I was also in the army and didn’t see the point but each to their own. He took it down in the end as it made a right noise in the wind clanging all bloody night

Nico
    Free Member

If it was a UK flag it would bother me due to the racist connotations. If it was the Danish one it wouldn’t. Every house in Denmark has a flagpole and everyday they use it and every evening they take the flag down before sunset so as not to upset the neighbours.

Last year I was in La Palma staying in a German-owned apartment. Nearby was a Danish-owned house and every morning and evening the flag went up or down as appropriate. We thought it was quirky but now it makes sense. Small countries can be patriotic without coming across as fascistic. The German who owned our apartment thought it was a bit wrong, but given his country’s history I guess he has a different viewpoint.

For me a St George’s cross outside a private house would make me wary simply because I associate it with UKIP/EDL or just noisy bar-b-qs and football-related shenanigans. Knowing it was just an old buffer with a mild flag obsession would fully alleviate my concerns, even if he did have dodgy political leanings.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

my next door but two neighbour has a flagpole in his back garden and flies a flag all the time.

Mind you he’s an ex-RAF type in his 70’s and it’s usually an RAF flag (sky blue with a roundel) and he’s normally out the front cleaning, polishing or fixing his RAF ambulance that looks a bit like this.

He also has an old metal railway signal in his back garden and a small gauge railway that runs the length of his garden (circa 100 metres) and then through his garage and out onto the front garden before disappearing down the side of his house again.

Interesting guy.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Buy him a new flag of a rampant lion on a field of azure blue. Then just say he watches a lot of E4.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Onzadog – Member
    Buy him a new flag of a rampant lion on a field of azure blue. Then just say he watches a lot of E4

I literally have no idea what this means

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

I went to Cornwall with the in-laws a couple of years ago and my FIL was concerned about the number of ISIS flags that were on display #palmface

nealglover
    Free Member
    MTB-Idle
    Free Member

nealglover – Member
    I literally have no idea what this means
    http://bigbangtheory.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Apartment_4A_Flag

ah ok cheers. Don’t watch it.

stanwell
    Free Member

It’s all about the context when it comes to flags.

Graeme Souness

richmtb

He also has an old metal railway signal in his back garden and a small gauge railway that runs the length of his garden (circa 100 metres) and then through his garage and out onto the front garden before disappearing down the side of his house again.

Best Neighbour Evah!

ahwiles
    Free Member

as a concept, a flagpole? I’d prefer an apple tree, but fine, whatever.

… wondering why the neighbours would be upset if it’s already dark.

in practise, flagpoles are noisy things, clanging away in anything more that a breeze.

and, as a guide, the people who put them up are idiots.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

It would put me off, even if it didn’t have a flag on it during a viewing as it seems unlikely that anyone with a flagpole wouldn’t have a flag to go with it.

tonyf1
    Free Member

Have you upset him in the past? Sounds like revenge.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Rightly or wrongly, to me a flag says ‘nationalist’ which, again rightly or wrongly, has some connotations beyond the dictionary definition that would put me off.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I like flag poles me and would love one… asking for flags as bday and xmas presents and swapping the flag as appropriate for a more international feel

So for this weekend ..,. Mayday weekend … it might be this….

In a couple of weeks this one for their national day on 17th May

And then around July 14th…

And when not in use Id have the flags draped of hooks along the hall

aracer
    Free Member

Small countries can be patriotic without coming across as fascistic.

I think it’s down to a power thing – I presume Denmark doesn’t have an equivalent song to Rule Britannia and hasn’t ever had an empire. So nationalism there is more about being defending their country from invasion than invading other countries. Nationalism from any country with a tradition of fighting territorial wars outside their own borders is always dodgy.

CountZero

I’m white British and I find it very distasteful, council estate trash.

🙄
    I’m white English, and truly couldn’t give a rat’s ass, the only thing that really would bother me is the same thing that bothers others; the incessant tinging of the halyard against the pole, which would have me sneaking out in the early hours and cutting the rope…
    I’d also be put off by an aggressive noisy dog, or little dogs like hairy rats that yap incessantly as soon as their owner goes out, when the owner comes home, and then turfs the noisy little rats outside for some peace and quiet, then yells at them because they keep up the yapping outside and they can hear it through the open door, or when they’re outside having a barbecue…
    Thankfully they no longer have the horrid bloody things any more, which is a great relief.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’d execute anyone with a flag pole in their garden, It’s the only reasonable option I can see.

deadkenny
    Free Member

zanelad – Member 

Not flying one is practically an offence of being unpatriotic and likely to get you run out of town 😉

Whereas in the UK it’s grounds for complaints and councils ordering you to take the flag down (depending on Chavness/UKIPness of the area).

corroded
    Free Member

This is the America that has a flypast for every football game and where children pledge allegiance at the start of every day… Fascist superstate much?

I’d be cool with this

but I’m guessing your neighbour doesn’t fly that one much.

ahwiles
    Free Member

aracer – Member

I presume Denmark … hasn’t ever had an empire. So nationalism there is more about being defending their country from invasion than invading other countries.

who’s going to tell him?

gobuchul
    Free Member

I presume Denmark … hasn’t ever had an empire. So nationalism there is more about being defending their country from invasion than invading other countries.

Apart from the UK, Ireland, France, parts of Germany, Iceland, Greenland and a small part of the US.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 146 total)

The topic ‘Would flagpole in a neighbours garden put you off buying a house?’ is closed to new replies.