Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Would changing tyre pressure help save my tyres on the road
  • ooOOoo
    Free Member

I'm sick of my tyres wearing out down the middle first, from riding around on the roads between trails.

I can't work out if having the pressure high, or low, would make any difference to this.

Anyone got any experience? I wouldn't mind a bit of tyre pumping now & then if it saves me money. Or am I just doomed to shag my tyres within months 😥 I've tried DTC tyres and they make little difference.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Months? What milage are you doing on tarmac? I used to commute on my MTB everyday to college and Uni, becuase it was the only bike I had. It still took a year to wear tyres with a decently hard compound out. I just used to run Fire XCs, fairly hard, fairly cheap, fairly OK off road, wearing the middle out just used to bring the shoulders into play a bit more off road, which was actually a good thing.

Get a supercheap hack for road work? Or is it all wear induced by road hacking to the trails? Def experiment with tyre compounds, I've had 'DTC' tyres that've worn out in seconds. Otherwise I find highrollers actually benefit from wearing in a fair bit, and the 70a is pretty darn hard. Thin hard run tyres like 1.5 conti XCs run at 50-60psi are pretty compromised off road unless you're riding in deep slop.

I don't think pressures are going to help at all, MTB rims simply can't take the kind of pressure needed to keep the carcass round. Get narrower rims to keep the carcase more round? that can compromise performance off road too though.

Swalsey
    Free Member

Lower pressure will spread your weight over more tyre = less wear down the center (but more drag)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ooOOoo
    Free Member

Hey thanks, I see the logic with running lower pressures. I kinda thought higher pressures would be better for some reason but that makes sense. I can handle the drag if it saves me money.

Not doing a huse amount of miles, but probably more tarmac than road (no car see). I have slicks on the commuter but run Nevegals/SB8s/Geax on the FS. I'm not completely wearing em out, but lose noticable straight line traction within a few months 🙁

I have never tried highrollers yet so perhaps I will try them next. Definitely the rear that get's hammered more so 70a might be an answer!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Would changing tyre pressure help save my tyres on the road’ is closed to new replies.