Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Would Canada have me back?
  • sharkattack

Todays daydream content.

Long story short-

I went to Canada in 2010 with a 12 month work visa. The job I got was an absolute joke and in no way resembled the description. I ended up working dawn until dusk at the bosses beck and call. No defined hours, no defined time off and nobody got paid in the three months I stayed there. I sacked it off, went on a 2 month North American road trip, had the time of my life and came home a few months early. The time I spent in America was amazing.

This would be fine but I really haven’t gotten Canada out of my system. I really, really wish I’d gone over there and gotten a normal job and stayed in Vancouver instead of Whistler. I know people who went over at the same time as me who are still there and loving it. And here I am bored, skint and whinging on STW.

I’d love another crack at a 12 month Visa but there’s a few problems. Firstly you can only have one. Secondly I’m now over 30 which makes me a useless cripple. Thirdly, I’ve now got a long term ladyfriend who is a guaranteed ‘keeper’. She’s under 30 and she’s a qualified teacher with a degree so she’d be in there no bother.

I know of two people who have been kicked out of Canada for over staying their visa and they’re both back out there working full time jobs with no plans to ever come home. Which makes me wonder, how much flexibility is there? Could I gain any brownie points by grassing up my former employer about the loophole they were using to return there year after year?

I feel like it’s the single biggest cock up of my life.

Shit I should have just married some skank from Surrey.

oliverracing

hehe – sadly I can’t really help you on whether they’ll have you back!

I plan on emigrating and working in BC/vancouver sometime in the future, when I have finished my degree and have a few years work experience. No definite plans as of yet, but I am tempted to try toget a year visa once I’m done with uni – but not if it will adversely affect my chances of getting a full time visa later on!

heisenberg
    Free Member

Is canada a real country? 🙄

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Take me with you! Currently doing an engineering doctorate then I’m heading to Vancouver asap. We should all meet up in 3-4 years time in Van for a pint. I’ll get my diary now.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

know of two people who have been kicked out of Canada for over staying their visa and they’re both back out there working full time jobs with no plans to ever come home

How have they managed that then? I’m heading out in November on a 12 month work visa (probably the same one you had). I think you’re not eligible for the IEC visa any more, but have a look around the immigration website and see what you can see for someone your age. I think you’ll need a guaranteed job and a sponsor, but that might have changed as they’ve recently had a crackdown.

sweaman2
    Free Member

I suspect that you’re previous history in no way stops you from coming back…… but I think you would now have to do it the hard way as it were. So resident / citizen ship applications. Unless you job / vocation is in short supply (immigration canada publish lists) then expect it to take a while (years and years).

Also as an aside Alberta has much more job vacancies than B.C.; while Vancouver maybe the dream the reality can be expensive housing and limited jobs.

TooTall
    Free Member

Friends of mine in Vancouver live their new life out there. The biggest problem is their inability to afford to buy a house. After Hong Kong, Vancouver is the highest priced property market in the world. He is doing pretty well for himself as well.

CountZero

Is canada a real country?

At least as real country as its neighbour to the south. And generally more laid back people, too.
    Apart from Quebecois, that is..

sharkattack

Hexhamstu I’m sure you ended up with my 224 somehow. That’s the bike I had out there in 2010 and I sold it to someone in Gateshead. At least the bike enjoyed a second trip out there.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

That god damn bike broke my collar bone! On the first day 3rd run! Hahaha, I had a great time in the end though! Great winter and great summer the second time round. That place is a true paradise. I’ve sold the 224 now 🙁

sharkattack

Wow that’s bad luck. The majority of accidents happen on first days though. In 2005 my mate had a big one on an over-excited first day. He wouldn’t be here today if I hadn’t been riding behind him to scrape him up.

BearBack
    Free Member

You can have more than one visa, but now your past 30, you’re SOL, unless you’ve almost any other passport than a UK passport – Aussie’s get the most love from CIC!

Only options would be to seek sponsorship from a Canadian based business in need of a qualified and experienced worker and unable to find a canadian resident to fill the roll.
    This is typically the PNP program.
    Or, if you’re working for a UK company with a Canadian division, to get relocated. Or, becoming common-law partners with a canadian.. That was my master plan after 2 visas… but I met and ultimately married a Brit instead

Reporting your former employer might make you feel better, but its unlikely to get you anywhere as far as having that visa reissued.
    Most companies using pnp or ‘experienced canadian’ visa renewals are audited now for compliance anyway, So unlikely they are still getting away with monkey business.

FWIW, completing that year in Whistler probably wouldn’t have got Canada out of your system anyway. As you know, its not real life, its superb, but its post adolescent disneyland!
    A year in Vancouver or somewhere closer to real life may have been closer, but you still need to see BC’s natural beauty to really appreciate it.. and that’ll take forever at the rate we’re managing to get about.

sharkattack

Why don’t you just give me a job? I can spanner bikes with my eyes closed. I used to do airport transfers as well!

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Whistler ruins your life.

sharkattack

They can put that on my headstone right after I fly my van off Marsden cliffs.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

BearBack or anyone else, any idea how easy it is to go from a year abroad IEC visa to a long term one if you’re got a job in a ‘professional’ position?

_tom_
    Free Member

so true.. Riding hasn’t been the same since I flew back in November 2011 🙁 I found it impossible to get a job there as well, very cliquey and they all want experience, of which I had none in 2011.

I want to get a few years experience in my job now and try again before I hit 30 but probably not whistler. Where’s best in Canada for video editors/tv crew and still decent riding?!

BearBack
    Free Member

BearBack or anyone else, any idea how easy it is to go from a year abroad IEC visa to a long term one if you’re got a job in a ‘professional’ position?

As far as I know, if you want to retain a job off the back of an open work permit, you would need to work with your employer.
    They would need to submit a Labour Market Opinion (LMO) which basically is an application to the government to see if they deem that the position that they want to employ you for is something that cannot be filled by a canadian resident.
    The employer needs to proove they have taken sufficient steps to recruit a Canadian resident before they have a valid case to wish to retain you and provide you with a further visa.
    Its a long, complicated and expensive process that limits you to year round full time employment with the company who makes the application.

Worth noting though, if you bring a unique skillset to the company you work for and you are genuinely improving their ability to make money, pay more tax and subsequently help that company share skills with and grow their canadian resident workforce, then your chance of success is high!

Conqueror
    Free Member

deem that the position that they want to employ you for is something that cannot be filled by a canadian resident.
    The employer needs to proove they have taken sufficient steps to recruit a Canadian resident before they have a valid case to wish to retain you and provide you with a further visa

how is exhaustive is their effort to fill the position with a native? it must vary quite a lot?

BearBack
    Free Member

No doubt, I’m sure it varies widely on a case by case basis.
    The challenging point is that its not trying to fill a position with a ‘native’, its filling with a ‘resident’.
    IIRC, anyone with a valid work visa is considered to have resident staus, so if an appropriately qualified working holiday visa holder applies, they have to be seriously considered for the position and excluded on valid reasons before an LMO would get approved for employee wishing to be retained or targeted.

@_tom_

Canada for video editors/tv crew and still decent riding?!

Vancouver (“Hollywood North”)- was one of the biggest production centers outside hollywood a few years back when the govermnent were giving huge tax credit incentives.

Vancouver productions

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Would Canada have me back?’ is closed to new replies.