Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • would an old Roadbike frame/forks be suitable for building a Cyclocross bike?
  • taka
    Free Member

Hi,

looking for a winter alternative to my mountain bike would an old steel road frame and forks work as a cyclocross bike? the main problem would be brake clearance because it wouldn’t have brake bosses?

tom

andrewh
    Free Member

Problems;
    Tyre clearence
    Brake mounts (fixable if steel and you can weld… Maybe drop-out mounted disc adaptor for the rear?)

Otherwise, things like geometry and the strength of it may be an issue but won’t stop it working.

bol

Probably not. Apart from not being strong enough and maybe being too steep, most frames wouldn’t have the clearance for the tyres.

Edit: beaten to it.

Onzadog
    Free Member

You could always make me an offer on the 56 cm tricross rolling chassis I’ve just made available!

taka
    Free Member

cheers for the offer Onzadog but i would have to chop my legs off at the knees to fit on it 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

Depends how old, but yes it’s totally doable…..if.
    The frame took 271/4″ wheels and ideally steel. The old frames have bags of width and depth for clearance.
    Talk to Ceeway and they’ll supply the braze on canti bosses an engineer would be able to do them.
    Also if the frame has the old style long ends with no hanger, running it singlespeed is a piece of pee.
    Just gonna grab a piccy. And a bloke on plus one lap did it to a Colnago.

taka
    Free Member

so im better off looking for a proper cx frame & forks then

taka
    Free Member

it would be single speed and yeh its a 27 1/4 wheels and steel most of the bike is steel

taka
    Free Member

i have also got my dads old emelle mtb frame which can take 700c wheels and canti’s so that may be a better option

oldgit
    Free Member

This sort of thing, these old’uns were generally slacker anyway. I’ve ground off the pump pegs and lamp boss ready for powder coating. See the long ends.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

i think the cx frame has a higher BB too

andrewh
    Free Member

it would be single speed and yeh its a 27 1/4 wheels and steel most of the bike is steel

Just brakes to sort then, worth a try.
    DM Uni for rear http://www.a2zcomponents.com/02products_04adapter_05.html
    Just front brake to sort now.

oldgit
    Free Member

If it was an MTB and you fitted 700cs the bosses would be in the wrong place. Mavic make adapters, but that would defeat the object.

oldgit
    Free Member

You could go fixed 8)

taka
    Free Member

oldgit its just like that only bigger

taka
    Free Member

bollocks ill just go brakeless its only to be ridden around the hills of hebden bridge

oldgit
    Free Member

fitting the braze ons is easy. Fit the wheels and mark them up for the engineer and hey presto you have one funky steel crosser for peanuts.

taka
    Free Member

i can do all the welding etc. got a steel workshop at my house 🙂 and i think i have some of them braze on mounts in the workshop somewhere

Onzadog
    Free Member

Flinky blip! I swapped it out for something smaller. Just how tall are you!!!!!! 😆

taka
    Free Member

Onzadog,

i read it wrong it might fit me im not used to cm stuff things work better in feet and inches 😉 how much were you wanting?

tom

Onzadog
    Free Member

It’s frame, forks, headset, seat post, mini v brakes and wheels including the stans converted tyres. Only just stripped it down and not thought about a price. It’s in good condition. What sounds fair?

CraigW
    Free Member

You could just use some deep drop calliper brakes.
    eg something like these Alhongas: http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s100p149
    They say “Ideal for 700c wheels in a 27″ frame”, so should give plenty of tyre clearance.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Erm onzadog, I too might be interested, email in profile

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘would an old Roadbike frame/forks be suitable for building a Cyclocross bike?’ is closed to new replies.