Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Would a set of pikes change my life, or bike even?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

I may have the opportunity to upgrade from 150 revelations to 150 pikes. Both will be new forks.
    The bike currently has revelations on which I’ve been more than happy with until they started creaking. So now maybe a chance to upgrade. Worth it?

chestrockwell

They’re a better fork so if you can afford it I’d go for it. Won’t change your life and the Revs will be fine but the Pikes are better. Simple as that really.

br
    Free Member

Based on experience.

Pikes are very good, and if you were coming from something like a 32 you’d really, really notice a difference – but from Revs, you will just notice a difference.

🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    deviant
    Free Member

As above, Revs are the standout 32mm stanchion fork so you may or may not notice a difference….if you were coming from a flexy 150mm Fox-32 then you’d certainly notice!

cokie

I noticed a big difference going from 32mm Revs at 140mm to 140mm 35mm Pikes. The front is very solid and just feels more confident when pushing the front into corners and riding through rough stuff. Can’t imagine going back to 32mm for anything more than 120mm.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Depends…I went from 140mm Revs to 150mm Pikes on my 29er and I noticed the extra stiffness and better damping up front more or less straight away.

But it wasn’t a game-changer. The Revs are a perfectly decent fork and despite the 32mm chassis seemed up to thee job of pointing fourteen stone of idiot wherever he wanted to go.

What’s the cost of the upgrade?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I noticed a significant improvement going from Revs at 140mm on a 29er to 150mm Pikes. Wont change your life or turn you into a Superstar overnight, but a worthwile upgrade. Still miss my Lefty though. If only they did a 150mm 29er Supermax Lefty…

olixmb4x
    Free Member

my Pikes creak
    but they are damn good in terms of suspension.

Anybody know why the new Pikes creak?

EDIT: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/creaking-new-style-rockshox-pikes

wrightyson
    Free Member

The reason my revs are being changed for free is also due to a creak. It’s been back to crc for warranty and they’re basically changing them foc. Something to do with the steerer tube where it meets the main body of the fork. I switched off when new shiny forks were offered to be fair.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I have a set of 2013 Revs with the bottom less token kit and the 2014 rapid return rebound damper and a set of pikes. It’s a bit more twangy, and a bit less composed in rocky chaos, but it’s not ‘night and day’. The Pike is a better fork for sure, but it’s not so much better that I want to swap out the Rev before its time.

If you’ve got the opportunity to get the Pike for free or not very much, I’d do it.

rocketman
    Free Member

Rock Shox have a fork for every day of the week and unless you go from something truly awful to something really good, the differences are ime underwhelming

New forks are invariably better because they’re new but after a while you kind of forget about the old forks and start noticing trivial things that’re wrong with the new forks and wondering if you really should’ve bought the RCT3ChargerDogsBolloxWorldCup version

wrightyson
    Free Member

Basically just spoke to crc and it’s a one off payment of 120 quid. Worth it?

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Maybe possibly if you get them tweaked to a standard they should come at already outta the box OR…

Fit a set of Devilles and be outstandingly impressed and then be impressed more the more you use them.

Rubber_Buccaneer

My opinion based on no knowledge whatsoever is no you don’t need them but you quite fancy them and it will niggle if you don’t take the opportunity. So do it.

br
    Free Member

Basically just spoke to crc and it’s a one off payment of 120 quid. Worth it?

Yes.

PJM1974
    Free Member

£120 sniffs for Revs to Pikes?

I’d bite their hand off. Go for it.

BillOddie

Do it. Especially if you are “not a whippet”.

There is about 75g difference in weight (or some similarly tiny figure), the damping is much better, they are stiffer.

I love my Pike RCT3 forks, they are 12.5864% more radder than 150mm Rev RLT which i thought were spikey and twangey to be honest.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I concur.

Northwind

I’m not the biggest Pike fan tbh, they’re good but overhyped imo and I really like my ancient Revs… but I’d still take that deal.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Nice one chaps, pretty awesome customer service from crc over the last few days, now to clear the financial director hurdle….

LoCo
    Free Member

Pikes, if you’ve made the revs creak you will do better with them.

otsdr
    Free Member

my Pikes creak
    but they are damn good in terms of suspension.

A friend of mine significantly reduced the creaking by doing the top caps in silly tight using an extender bar; your mileage may vary.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

It’s the stanchion and the crown effectively unbonding and coming apart in most cases.

wrightyson
    Free Member

^^^ hence the pretty much no quibble warranty swap.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Would a set of pikes change my life, or bike even?’ is closed to new replies.