Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Would a knackered front wheel bearing cause clicking/creaking?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

my clicking noise has progressively got worse since i last used it, it had a thorough clean etc, had rear wheel bearings replaced, but never really assumed the front ones would be as bad, i can feel by hand they are a bit rough and almost hear a little click noise when holding the wheel upto the ear

my mate has the exact same wheel as me (crossmax st), and we swapped over last night for a section of climbing (which is where the noise is occuring), and low and behold it was silent, not sure if this is a massive coincedence or whether it could have been caused by going through a section of muddyness before and lubricating the whole bike 😆

the noise previously got worse after washing it (with mobiwasher) which sort of suggests the bearings are knackered (probably more from the jet wash)

what cha reckon STW?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

derailleur hanger?..

Speshpaul

the front wheel has done the same amount of work as the rear, so why not?
    creaking and climbing, BB is always worth a look. the sound like to transmit through the frame.
    If you can get it to creak when stationary, get someone to listen with a screwdriver/bar to locate the problem.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

not sure on the DH chunky, shifting seems fine

the front wheel has done the same mileage as rear indeed, not sure why i thought the front wouldnt need them if the rear did TBH, just thought the rear was abused more

ive gone from having an absolute silent bike last week, to having the rear bearings changes and now suddenly got a noise that wont shut up! rear bearings were goosed so i guess the fronts probably are too

will regrease the headset set too, although that stationary doesnt make a sound swaying it fast from side to side

my seat is a bit creaky, but it does it out of the saddle too

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I had some clicky creaky noises that were caused by grit in the cable stops on the frame (ally frames seem worst for this).

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

is it possible at all though that a worn wheel bearing would cause creaking on climbing?

tonyd

Is this the same clicking/creaking that you thought might be the spokes after your rear bearing change or a new one?

I would think it’s very possible a worn bearing could do this, odd that it’s only on climbing though. More lateral force perhaps as you pull on the bars?

When you swapped wheels did your mate notice the creaking? How does the wheel attach? QR, thru bolt, etc. Could it be an overtightened QR perhaps, that needs a clean and/or a bit of grease?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hi tony, yep same clicking/pinging noise as per rear wheel bearing change the other day yep!

i started to think it was maybe the front end (headset mainly), but the headset is smooth when just turned side to side, so that made me then think of the only other thing im putting force on the front wheel itself, as mentioned above, i had the wheels brand new, so i guess as it has done the same mileage as the rear etc it would be logical that the fronts need doing too?

my mates bike has noises galore anyways (and he doesnt seem to care lol), BUT he did say he could hear a sort of pinging noise that he didnt remember hearing on his bike with his wheel in, i razzed off up the road to test his wheel and i didnt hear a single sound from it at all, and all the off road section before it (where the noise seemed to be worse) again not a sound…..so its either massive coincedence or id just soaked the whole bike in mud prior and it lubricated the cracking/clickin/creaking part!?!?

I HATE NOISES ON BIKESSSS!!!!! 🙁

variflex
    Free Member

I had a crosstrail replaced under warranty as it was clicking really badly and basically the plastic part of the hub had come unbonded from the alloy part. You couldnt see it move but under pressure there was enough to make a nasty creaking/clicking noise.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Would a knackered front wheel bearing cause clicking/creaking?’ is closed to new replies.