Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Would a crash crack a titanium frame?
  • notfastenough
    Free Member

Crashed my ti MTB into a car late last week (their fault not mine). Rigid carbon forks broken in two, but at first sight no damage to the frame – it’s all still straight with no suspicious bulges.

BUT, I’ve just found a crack round the bottom of the seat tube at the weld with the BB. Any chance this is accident damage?

To be honest it was making a a creaking noise when out of the saddle, but I’d just put it down to loose crank bolts or a BB in need of a tighten.

What’s the forum’s wisdom?

shermer75
    Free Member

br
    Free Member

Its cracked, claim off them?

spchantler
    Free Member

of course it can crack. anything will break with the right amount of force. did it break in the crash? impossible to say. seems fair to claim from the car drivers insurance though?

nedrapier

spchantler, Whether it “seems fair” depends on your view of insurance, other people and how likely you think it that it was damaged in the crash.

Edit: any number of things that can cause creaky BB, or frame noises when you’re out of the saddle. Any number of things that can cause cracks, including Just Riding Along, and car crashes.

I think this is one for your conscience! If you clean it regularly, hadn’t noticed the crack before, say so. Probably where spchantler’s coming from?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I think an impact that pushed the forks backward hard enough to snap, would exert a collapsing force around the frame, through the downtube and stays.

Regarding rights and wrongs, I’d suggest you explore the warranty option first. I doubt it’ll take the manuf. long to come back to you with a decision.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Would a crash crack a titanium frame?’ is closed to new replies.