• This topic has 14 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by hora.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Would a carbon frame get totalled at megavalnche?
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’m looking at the carbon zesty or spicy to replace a couple of full sussers I have.

Heading out to megavalnche in July, with the number of crashes there seem to be, am I just asking for trouble – coming home with a nasty hashed carbon frame? I know Remy or Nico might use carbon but anyone else raced mega on their carbon pride and joy?

Anyone know the weight difference between the carbon and alloy zesty or spicy frames?

Think I’d be disappointed if I got the alloy version but it may be the safer option?

flyingmonkeycorps

Think there’s a write up on them in the latest Dirt mag if that’s any help… They liked the Spicy best by far.

Could well have had weights and such in there.

druidh
    Free Member

Santa Cruz will tell you that their carbon frames are the strongest frames they have ever made.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve done things to a Whyte crabon fribe frame that would have left any alloy frame in pieces.

These things involved concrete and hammers.

cynic-al
    Free Member

carbon bikes basically fall apart.

You’ll be lucky if one gets to the start of the Megavalanche TBH.

forget it.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

That’s me stuffed then!

My Nomad is delaminating at the thought of it next month…

br
    Free Member

I can’t imagine why you’d even consider using an MTB for what its been built for – just leave it immaculate and unused like a lot on here do…

Kuco

Do a search and watch Santa Cruz do a carbon test its pretty impressive.

Northwind

Some types of carbon are incompatible with europop.

There are 2 sides to this. 1, a bike’s a tool, never buy a tool you’re afraid to use. But also 2, don’t be afraid of carbon.

I suppose there’s also 3, which is that alu Lapierres haven’t exactly proved impervious to harm either 😉

allthepies
    Free Member

The snow at the top will cause the carbon to shatter and shards could enter your bloodstream and rip you heart apart.

Don’t do it.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’m not worried about carbon when it’s just me riding it – I have two carbon frames in the shed and had another before that.

It just doesn’t seem like many people get a clear run on the mega course so I suppose it’s more a general question – what damage will other ‘hapless idiots cause to my bike 😉

garrrrpirate
    Free Member

what damage will other ‘hapless idiots cause to my bike

The same whatever it’s made of?

BrickMan

TBH if you are down after a drop, and another rider barrels into you/bike, frankly does it matter what its made of? something is likely to break anyway! It just depends how much cash you have in the bank to replace the parts 😉

When your actually on the course I don’t think the worries will even begin to enter your head

kimbers

against all the odds my mates carbon moto made it through the mega without catasrophic failure

hora
    Free Member

Theres an SX frame that I used to own——->

buy use sell again for the same price

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Would a carbon frame get totalled at megavalnche?’ is closed to new replies.